Professional Web Applications Themes

buying a scanner - Photography

I'm thinking of buying a scanner, primarily to allow my print negs to join the digital revolution. Any recomendations? -- John...

  1. #1

    Default buying a scanner

    --
    John

    jsp Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: buying a scanner

    I "STRONGLY" recommend the Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III. This is a
    35mm/slide scanner only. And it is fantastic. 32 MG files from a colour
    slide. Imagine how much better the resolution is than the 1 MG files you
    get on CD from your local photofinisher.

    Kerry

    dink Guest

  3. #3

    dink wrote:

    > I "STRONGLY" recommend the Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III. This is a
    > 35mm/slide scanner only. And it is fantastic. 32 MG files from a colour
    > slide. Imagine how much better the resolution is than the 1 MG files you
    > get on CD from your local photofinisher.[/ref]

    Thanks.

    That is one I had read the write up of and it did look good, but that's
    the whole point really: all the write ups make everything look good!

    I've no real need for a flatbed scanner, although it would probably get
    used for such jobs as scanning kid's drawings to send to granny etc, so
    a film specific scanner is a strong possibility. I tend to take print
    film rather than slide, so it needs to cope with that.
    --
    John

    jsp Guest

  4. #4

    jsp wrote:

    >> I "STRONGLY" recommend the Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III. This is a
    >> 35mm/slide scanner only. And it is fantastic. 32 MG files from a
    >> colour slide. Imagine how much better the resolution is than the 1 MG
    >> files you get on CD from your local photofinisher.[/ref]
    >

    > Thanks.
    >
    > That is one I had read the write up of and it did look good, but that's
    > the whole point really: all the write ups make everything look good!
    >
    > I've no real need for a flatbed scanner, although it would probably get
    > used for such jobs as scanning kid's drawings to send to granny etc, so
    > a film specific scanner is a strong possibility. I tend to take print
    > film rather than slide, so it needs to cope with that.[/ref]

    look at the other Minolta scanners. I have the Minolta Dimage Multi II
    and it is great.

    Alan
    Alan Guest

  5. #5

    "jsp" <co.uk> wrote in message

    Hi John.

    The Minolta Dimage Scan Dual 3 is a cracking piece of kit and I am pleased
    with the results that mine has given me. However, you need to be aware that
    there can be a small amount of re-touching necessary to remove dirt / dust
    (unless I'm doing something stupid!!!). Also, the resolution is ok for up to
    about A4 but sharpness falls off if you print at A3 on a high resolution
    printer. You may want to consider the Nikon model which is about 100 more
    expensive but has digital ICE to automatically get rid of crud / scratches
    or the Minolta Scan Elite which has both ICE and a resolution of 5500 dpi
    for *really*sharp pictures. I've seen results at 20x16 from one and it was
    at least as good as from a hand print, albeit after a little work in
    Photoshop.

    Personally, I would go for the Scan Elite - but I couldn't have afforded
    one. However if you can live with the limitations above, you will love the
    Scan Dual 3.

    Roger

    Roger Guest

  6. #6

    Roger wrote:
     [/ref]

    Thanks for that. I'm not expecting to want to print huge pictures,
    probably not past A4 in any case, so the higher resolution is not so
    much of an issue. (price, OTOH....)

    --
    John

    jsp Guest