Professional Web Applications Themes

Bypassing the hard disc - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Rod, I really think that taking care of general maintenance tasks and repairing small problems as they happen helps avoid major problems. I agree. Many people just use their computer "blindly" and expect it to keep on truckin'. Like driving a car and never checking (or changing) the oil. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity about Mac utilities. I've been involved with computers since the late 60's, was a programmer for the last 30 years of my career...up until about two years ago. I worked on hundreds of different machines, many long before the days of personal computers, and I've had ...

  1. #21

    Default Re: Bypassing the hard disc

    Rod,

    I really think that taking care of general maintenance tasks and repairing
    small problems as they happen helps avoid major problems.

    I agree. Many people just use their computer "blindly" and expect it to keep on truckin'. Like driving a car and never checking (or changing) the oil.

    Thanks for satisfying my curiosity about Mac utilities. I've been involved with computers since the late 60's, was a programmer for the last 30 years of my career...up until about two years ago. I worked on hundreds of different machines, many long before the days of personal computers, and I've had a PC since they came out around twenty years ago. But I have rarely used a Mac!
    Bert
    Bert Bigelow Guest

  2. #22

    In message <1de9ccd6.27WebX.la2eafNXanI>, Bert Bigelow
    <bigelowrsaol.com> writes
    >Rod,
    >
    > I really think that taking care of general maintenance tasks and
    >repairing
    > small problems as they happen helps avoid major problems.
    >
    >I agree. Many people just use their computer "blindly" and expect it to
    >keep on truckin'. Like driving a car and never checking (or changing)
    >the oil.

    What's wrong with expecting something like a computer to be able to look
    after itself ('hey my disk is a bit of mess time for a defrag tonight?')
    I don't have to do anything arcane like that to my TV, video, stereo
    etc.

    Ten again I gave up defragging my HDD a long time ago, I can't say I
    ever noticed any difference really anyway. (not entirely true I do
    defrag the partition I use for video editing)

    And checking the oil?, ask around the office friends etc. see how many
    people check their oil that often - I reckon months pass between checks
    here - modern cars just don't eat oil like older ones do. - I reckon
    it's time that cars told me the oil needs checking anyway.

    --
    Chris French

    Chris French Guest

  3. #23

    Barbara,

    I seem to recall being able to see how fragged my iMac is under Jaguar, and then de-fragging it. Then again, maybenot (on my first cup of coffee this morning after yet another horrid night's sleep). What might I have used to de-frag Jag?

    Edit: Related to a different thread of mine here on the Forum, my Plextor CD/RW drive is due to arrive today. I can hardly waiy...peace of mind! :)
    owl_luvr Guest

  4. #24

    Mornin' Bert and Chris,

    I really agree with you, Chris. I'm that way about cars - I just want to turn the key and have the darn thing go. And, I do think that things are moving in that direction. I do have to admit that I enjoy fooling around with computers.

    Bert - When I was a kid about 50 years ago my dad worked for Univac. I remember going to an "open house" and looking at this huge computer filled with vacuum tubes that occupied most of a large room. I'm sure that it didn't have the power of one of the current Palms.

    I started using computers when our school got an Apple IIe. All I really used it for was as a word processor to prepare labs, tests, and so on for my classes. However, it was a BIG step up from those "ditto" machines!! (I remember spending hours at night writing out a lab and then having the "ditto" machine gobble it up the next morning.) When our oldest son went away to college in 1987 his room mates could never seem to pass along messages, so I figured that I had to learn how to use this "e-mail stuff". It's all been uphill (downhill ?) from there.

    Rod
    Rod Brown Guest

  5. #25

    Rod,
    You must be almost as ancient as I am! <G>
    My first "real" computer (not counting some hobbyist kluges) was an Apple 2+. I remember it fondly as the last machine that I could fix ANYTHING that failed. I worked for the Semiconductor Device Division of Rockwell at the time and we supplied Apple with the 6502 microprocessors in the early Apples.
    I wrote assembly language code for the 6502 for ten years, and had a source listing for the Apple operating system.
    When the IBM PC's came out, I bought one, and that was the end of that. Hardware and software were an order of magnitude more complicated, and there was no way I was going to have the same level of knowledge of that machine.
    I miss that.
    Bert
    Bert Bigelow Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12