Professional Web Applications Themes

C Compiler for AIX 5.2 - AIX

In article <google.com>, com (sasa queer) wrote:   No. It's "shared libraries" - libraries that are loaded at run time, rather than built into each program's executable file.   Yes.   ..o files can't be executed by themselves. You need to feed them through the linker to produce executable files - or shared libraries to replaces ones used by existing executable files. Usually one does all the compiling and linking for a program on a single machine, just to make sure everything is consistent. --- John Dallman co.uk...

  1. #1

    Default Re: C Compiler for AIX 5.2

    In article <google.com>,
    com (sasa queer) wrote:

    No. It's "shared libraries" - libraries that are loaded at run time,
    rather than built into each program's executable file.

    Yes.

    ..o files can't be executed by themselves. You need to feed them through
    the linker to produce executable files - or shared libraries to replaces
    ones used by existing executable files. Usually one does all the compiling
    and linking for a program on a single machine, just to make sure
    everything is consistent.

    ---
    John Dallman co.uk
    John Guest

  2. #2

    Default C Compiler for AIX 5.2

    Dears,
    When i installed AIX 5.2 ML01 on a new Pseries machine , it install
    some xlc related filesets.
    It look like this is only runtime environment for AIX itself.... but i
    am still somewhat confused.Could this C compiler runtime be used for
    applications compilations ( c based progremmes and applications).
    In my previous experience i need C COMPILER FOR AIX alongwith license
    for compiling c based applicatiions.....Do i still need the same for
    AIX 5.2.
    Also if i compile c based programmes to generate .o files and then
    transfer these object files to another machine ( same AIX level) but
    without C compiler
    then whether these object files will be executed or not???
    If some one help me on these issues urgently....i will really
    appreciate!!!!

    SASA
    sasa Guest

  3. #3

    The runtime is just in AIX for running C compiled code (AIX itself)
    If you want to compile a new code, you must purchase C for AIX V5 or V6
    (1095 list price).
    But the gcc (GNU C compiler), work really fine and is downloadble in RPM
    format from IBM site ...

    Jano Guest

  4. #4

    Dear All,
    Thanks for your support.
    Infact while writing my query i just delivered some words mistake.
    Infact this problem arose from one of my customer who wanted to know
    that if he wants to run his C/C++ compiled applications ( which he is
    planning to acquire from his third part vendor), will he succeed or
    not using these C runtme environment filesets..
    I , by mistake has wrritten .o files....infact i mean object files
    which are created by compiling C applications. I have still following
    questions and will feel very courtagiuos if anyone of you answer them.

    1.Does execution of C object files require existance of application
    specific libraries if they are executed on a machine different from
    the machine on which they are compiled.
    2. It appears that in a big environemnt ( seprate machines for
    developer / testing/ production env.) it will be suffice to have C
    compiler on development machine only.Compile C code and transfer
    binaries to other machines.Will this procedure require same O/S level
    between the machines.

    SASA

    co.uk (John Dallman) wrote in message news:<compulink.co.uk>...

    > No. It's "shared libraries" - libraries that are loaded at run time,
    > rather than built into each program's executable file.

    > Yes.

    > .o files can't be executed by themselves. You need to feed them through
    > the linker to produce executable files - or shared libraries to replaces
    > ones used by existing executable files. Usually one does all the compiling
    > and linking for a program on a single machine, just to make sure
    > everything is consistent.
    >
    > ---
    > John Dallman co.uk[/ref]
    sasa Guest