Professional Web Applications Themes

C# Database identity - ASP.NET General

How do I get the identity value without using stored procedures in C#? I have the a table named 'sports' that has an identity value for the primary key. What I want to do is after I insert into into the 'sports' table, I want to get the identity value (primary key) for what I just inserted. I have to following code if this helps, thanks in advance: --------------------------------------------------------- string sql = "insert into sports (name......."; conn.Open(); // insert record into the database SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sql, conn); SqlDataReader result = cmd.ExecuteReader(); result.Close(); // ??? GET THE IDENTITY OF ...

  1. #1

    Default C# Database identity

    How do I get the identity value without using stored procedures in C#?

    I have the a table named 'sports' that has an identity value for the
    primary key.

    What I want to do is after I insert into into the 'sports' table, I want to
    get the identity value (primary key) for what I just inserted.

    I have to following code if this helps, thanks in advance:

    string sql = "insert into sports (name.......";

    conn.Open();

    // insert record into the database
    SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sql, conn);
    SqlDataReader result = cmd.ExecuteReader();
    result.Close();

    // ??? GET THE IDENTITY OF WHAT WAS JUST INSERTED ???
    SqlCommand ident = new SqlCommand("select identity from sports", conn);
    SqlDataReader ident_result = ident.ExecuteReader();

    int sport_id = -1;
    if (ident_result.Read()) { ident_result.GetDecimal(0); }

    ident_result.Close();
    conn.Dispose();

    Micheal Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: C# Database identity

    rather use :
    string sql = "insert into sports (name.......);SELECT IDENTITY;"
    Now use your SqlDataReader result = to getvalue of the first column which is
    the new identity

    --
    Swanand Mokashi
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    "Micheal" <frooyosbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > How do I get the identity value without using stored procedures in C#?
    >
    > I have the a table named 'sports' that has an identity value for the
    > primary key.
    >
    > What I want to do is after I insert into into the 'sports' table, I want
    > get the identity value (primary key) for what I just inserted.
    >
    > I have to following code if this helps, thanks in advance:

    > string sql = "insert into sports (name.......";
    >
    > conn.Open();
    >
    > // insert record into the database
    > SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sql, conn);
    > SqlDataReader result = cmd.ExecuteReader();
    > result.Close();
    >
    > // ??? GET THE IDENTITY OF WHAT WAS JUST INSERTED ???
    > SqlCommand ident = new SqlCommand("select identity from sports", conn);
    > SqlDataReader ident_result = ident.ExecuteReader();
    >
    > int sport_id = -1;
    > if (ident_result.Read()) { ident_result.GetDecimal(0); }
    >
    > ident_result.Close();
    > conn.Dispose();

    Swanand Mokashi Guest

  3. #3

    Micheal,

    It will work if you just do the select identity within your insert
    statement.

    Then use ExecuteScalar to get it out.

    Like this:

    strSQL = "INSERT INTO sports (name) VALUES (name);SELECT Identity"
    SQLCommand.CommandText = strSQL
    IdReturned = SQLCommand.ExecuteScalar

    I hope this helps.
    --
    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer

    Free code library at:
    [url]www.aboutfortunate.com[/url]

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzche
    "Micheal" <frooyosbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > How do I get the identity value without using stored procedures in C#?
    >
    > I have the a table named 'sports' that has an identity value for the
    > primary key.
    >
    > What I want to do is after I insert into into the 'sports' table, I want
    > get the identity value (primary key) for what I just inserted.
    >
    > I have to following code if this helps, thanks in advance:

    > string sql = "insert into sports (name.......";
    >
    > conn.Open();
    >
    > // insert record into the database
    > SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sql, conn);
    > SqlDataReader result = cmd.ExecuteReader();
    > result.Close();
    >
    > // ??? GET THE IDENTITY OF WHAT WAS JUST INSERTED ???
    > SqlCommand ident = new SqlCommand("select identity from sports", conn);
    > SqlDataReader ident_result = ident.ExecuteReader();
    >
    > int sport_id = -1;
    > if (ident_result.Read()) { ident_result.GetDecimal(0); }
    >
    > ident_result.Close();
    > conn.Dispose();

    S. Justin Gengo Guest

  4. #4

    yes executescalar is a even better option

    --
    "S. Justin Gengo" <sjgengoaboutfortunate.com> wrote in message
    > Micheal,
    >
    > It will work if you just do the select identity within your insert
    > statement.
    >
    > Then use ExecuteScalar to get it out.
    >
    > Like this:
    >
    > strSQL = "INSERT INTO sports (name) VALUES (name);SELECT Identity"
    > SQLCommand.CommandText = strSQL
    > IdReturned = SQLCommand.ExecuteScalar
    >
    > I hope this helps.
    > --
    > S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    > Web Developer
    >
    > Free code library at:
    > [url]www.aboutfortunate.com[/url]
    >
    > "Out of chaos comes order."
    > Nietzche
    > "Micheal" <frooyosbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > How do I get the identity value without using stored procedures in C#?
    > >
    > > I have the a table named 'sports' that has an identity value for the
    > > primary key.
    > >
    > > What I want to do is after I insert into into the 'sports' table, I want
    > > get the identity value (primary key) for what I just inserted.
    > >
    > > I have to following code if this helps, thanks in advance:

    > > string sql = "insert into sports (name.......";
    > >
    > > conn.Open();
    > >
    > > // insert record into the database
    > > SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sql, conn);
    > > SqlDataReader result = cmd.ExecuteReader();
    > > result.Close();
    > >
    > > // ??? GET THE IDENTITY OF WHAT WAS JUST INSERTED ???
    > > SqlCommand ident = new SqlCommand("select identity from sports",
    conn);
    > > SqlDataReader ident_result = ident.ExecuteReader();
    > >
    > > int sport_id = -1;
    > > if (ident_result.Read()) { ident_result.GetDecimal(0); }
    > >
    > > ident_result.Close();
    > > conn.Dispose();

    Swanand Mokashi Guest

  5. #5

    Hmm....

    I am doing the following (see below) and it does __not__ work? It error's
    at cmd.ExecuteScalar() stating:
    "cannot implicity convert type 'object' to SqlDataReader"

    Any ideas?

    string sql = "insert into sports (name) value ('test'); select identity";

    conn.Open();

    // insert record into the database
    SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sql, conn);
    SqlDataReader result = cmd.ExecuteScalar();

    int sport_id = -1;
    if (result.Read()) { sport_id = result.GetDecimal(0); }

    result.Close();
    conn.Dispose();

    "Micheal" <frooyosbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > How do I get the identity value without using stored procedures in C#?
    >
    > I have the a table named 'sports' that has an identity value for the
    > primary key.
    >
    > What I want to do is after I insert into into the 'sports' table, I want
    > get the identity value (primary key) for what I just inserted.
    >
    > I have to following code if this helps, thanks in advance:

    > string sql = "insert into sports (name.......";
    >
    > conn.Open();
    >
    > // insert record into the database
    > SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sql, conn);
    > SqlDataReader result = cmd.ExecuteReader();
    > result.Close();
    >
    > // ??? GET THE IDENTITY OF WHAT WAS JUST INSERTED ???
    > SqlCommand ident = new SqlCommand("select identity from sports", conn);
    > SqlDataReader ident_result = ident.ExecuteReader();
    >
    > int sport_id = -1;
    > if (ident_result.Read()) { ident_result.GetDecimal(0); }
    >
    > ident_result.Close();
    > conn.Dispose();

    Micheal Guest

  6. #6

    Micheal,

    The ExecuteScalar method returns a single value. Instead of a datareader it
    is returning the id itself you just need to declare an integer variable and
    set it equal to the execute scalar line like I showed in my example.

    It returns as a type object so you'll have to cast it as int.

    --

    > Hmm....
    >
    > I am doing the following (see below) and it does __not__ work? It error's
    > at cmd.ExecuteScalar() stating:
    > "cannot implicity convert type 'object' to SqlDataReader"
    >
    > Any ideas?

    > string sql = "insert into sports (name) value ('test'); select
    identity";

    > conn.Open();
    >
    > // insert record into the database
    > SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sql, conn);
    > SqlDataReader result = cmd.ExecuteScalar();
    >
    > int sport_id = -1;
    > if (result.Read()) { sport_id = result.GetDecimal(0); }
    >
    > result.Close();
    > conn.Dispose();
    >

    > "Micheal" <frooyosbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > How do I get the identity value without using stored procedures in C#?
    > >
    > > I have the a table named 'sports' that has an identity value for the
    > > primary key.
    > >
    > > What I want to do is after I insert into into the 'sports' table, I want
    > > get the identity value (primary key) for what I just inserted.
    > >
    > > I have to following code if this helps, thanks in advance:

    > > string sql = "insert into sports (name.......";
    > >
    > > conn.Open();
    > >
    > > // insert record into the database
    > > SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sql, conn);
    > > SqlDataReader result = cmd.ExecuteReader();
    > > result.Close();
    > >
    > > // ??? GET THE IDENTITY OF WHAT WAS JUST INSERTED ???
    > > SqlCommand ident = new SqlCommand("select identity from sports",
    conn);
    > > SqlDataReader ident_result = ident.ExecuteReader();
    > >
    > > int sport_id = -1;
    > > if (ident_result.Read()) { ident_result.GetDecimal(0); }
    > >
    > > ident_result.Close();
    > > conn.Dispose();

    S. Justin Gengo Guest

  7. #7

    ExecuteScalar returns the 1st column of the 1st row of your query result.
    This is by default returned as type object
    use :
    int sport_id = (int) cmd.ExecuteScalar();

    --

    Swanand Mokashi Guest

  8. #8

    Just for the record (I know that people have pointed you in the right
    direction), but the code you posted wouldn't have worked because the
    identity would only be in scope for that transaction.

    Given that no other statements were executed prior to the select (in
    particular, nothing that affects an identity field) - identity would'nt
    return a value... actually it might return 0, but I could be wrong.

    Neil Ramsbottom

    "Micheal" <frooyosbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > How do I get the identity value without using stored procedures in C#?
    >
    > I have the a table named 'sports' that has an identity value for the
    > primary key.
    >
    > What I want to do is after I insert into into the 'sports' table, I want
    > get the identity value (primary key) for what I just inserted.
    >
    > I have to following code if this helps, thanks in advance:

    > string sql = "insert into sports (name.......";
    >
    > conn.Open();
    >
    > // insert record into the database
    > SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sql, conn);
    > SqlDataReader result = cmd.ExecuteReader();
    > result.Close();
    >
    > // ??? GET THE IDENTITY OF WHAT WAS JUST INSERTED ???
    > SqlCommand ident = new SqlCommand("select identity from sports", conn);
    > SqlDataReader ident_result = ident.ExecuteReader();
    >
    > int sport_id = -1;
    > if (ident_result.Read()) { ident_result.GetDecimal(0); }
    >
    > ident_result.Close();
    > conn.Dispose();

    Neil Ramsbottom Guest

  9. #9

    The below does _not_ work! The datatype for the autoincrement value is INT
    in SQL Server 2000. The strange thing is that if I use a 'decimal' it works
    (using .NET framework 1.1)

    string sql = "insert into sports (name) value ('test'); select
    identity";

    conn.Open();

    // insert record into the database
    SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sql, conn);
    int result = (int)cmd.ExecuteScalar();

    > Micheal,
    >
    > The ExecuteScalar method returns a single value. Instead of a datareader
    it
    > is returning the id itself you just need to declare an integer variable
    and
    > set it equal to the execute scalar line like I showed in my example.
    >
    > It returns as a type object so you'll have to cast it as int.
    >

    > --
    > S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    > Web Developer
    >
    > Free code library at:
    > [url]www.aboutfortunate.com[/url]
    >
    > "Out of chaos comes order."
    > Nietzche
    > "Micheal" <frooyosbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > Hmm....
    > >
    > > I am doing the following (see below) and it does __not__ work? It
    error's
    > > at cmd.ExecuteScalar() stating:
    > > "cannot implicity convert type 'object' to SqlDataReader"
    > >
    > > Any ideas?

    > > string sql = "insert into sports (name) value ('test'); select
    > identity";
    > >
    > > conn.Open();
    > >
    > > // insert record into the database
    > > SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sql, conn);
    > > SqlDataReader result = cmd.ExecuteScalar();
    > >
    > > int sport_id = -1;
    > > if (result.Read()) { sport_id = result.GetDecimal(0); }
    > >
    > > result.Close();
    > > conn.Dispose();
    > >

    > > "Micheal" <frooyosbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > > How do I get the identity value without using stored procedures in
    C#?

    > > > I have the a table named 'sports' that has an identity value for the
    > > > primary key.
    > > >
    > > > What I want to do is after I insert into into the 'sports' table, I
    want
    > > > get the identity value (primary key) for what I just inserted.
    > > >
    > > > I have to following code if this helps, thanks in advance:

    > > > string sql = "insert into sports (name.......";
    > > >
    > > > conn.Open();
    > > >
    > > > // insert record into the database
    > > > SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sql, conn);
    > > > SqlDataReader result = cmd.ExecuteReader();
    > > > result.Close();
    > > >
    > > > // ??? GET THE IDENTITY OF WHAT WAS JUST INSERTED ???
    > > > SqlCommand ident = new SqlCommand("select identity from sports",
    > conn);
    > > > SqlDataReader ident_result = ident.ExecuteReader();
    > > >
    > > > int sport_id = -1;
    > > > if (ident_result.Read()) { ident_result.GetDecimal(0); }
    > > >
    > > > ident_result.Close();
    > > > conn.Dispose();

    Micheal Guest

  10. #10

    Interesting!

    Well, I mostly program in vb.net and only a little in C#. It's good to know
    about this difference.

    --

    > The below does _not_ work! The datatype for the autoincrement value is
    INT
    > in SQL Server 2000. The strange thing is that if I use a 'decimal' it
    works
    > (using .NET framework 1.1)

    > string sql = "insert into sports (name) value ('test'); select
    > identity";
    >
    > conn.Open();
    >
    > // insert record into the database
    > SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sql, conn);
    > int result = (int)cmd.ExecuteScalar();
    >

    > "S. Justin Gengo" <sjgengoaboutfortunate.com> wrote in message
    > > Micheal,
    > >
    > > The ExecuteScalar method returns a single value. Instead of a datareader
    > it
    > > is returning the id itself you just need to declare an integer variable
    > and
    > > set it equal to the execute scalar line like I showed in my example.
    > >
    > > It returns as a type object so you'll have to cast it as int.
    > >

    > > --
    > > S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    > > Web Developer
    > >
    > > Free code library at:
    > > [url]www.aboutfortunate.com[/url]
    > >
    > > "Out of chaos comes order."
    > > Nietzche
    > > "Micheal" <frooyosbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > > Hmm....
    > > >
    > > > I am doing the following (see below) and it does __not__ work? It
    > error's
    > > > at cmd.ExecuteScalar() stating:
    > > > "cannot implicity convert type 'object' to SqlDataReader"
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas?

    > > > string sql = "insert into sports (name) value ('test'); select
    > > identity";
    > > >
    > > > conn.Open();
    > > >
    > > > // insert record into the database
    > > > SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sql, conn);
    > > > SqlDataReader result = cmd.ExecuteScalar();
    > > >
    > > > int sport_id = -1;
    > > > if (result.Read()) { sport_id = result.GetDecimal(0); }
    > > >
    > > > result.Close();
    > > > conn.Dispose();
    > > >

    > > > "Micheal" <frooyosbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > C#?

    > want

    > > conn);

    S. Justin Gengo Guest