Professional Web Applications Themes

Cable Modem Problems with XP - Windows Networking

I am getting entirely frustrated. My computer keeps hanging up and ultimately boots the cable modem off line. I have one PC on XP and one PC on ME. The ME computer can run all day without a problem but the XP machine fails hangs after a period of time. If I unplug the cable modem (Ericson Piperider) and reboot the cable modem it works okay for a period of time but then happens again. If the ME machine is online without the XP machine I have no problems. Other information to know - I am using a Linksys router. ...

  1. #1

    Default Cable Modem Problems with XP

    I am getting entirely frustrated. My computer keeps
    hanging up and ultimately boots the cable modem off
    line. I have one PC on XP and one PC on ME. The ME
    computer can run all day without a problem but the XP
    machine fails hangs after a period of time. If I unplug
    the cable modem (Ericson Piperider) and reboot the cable
    modem it works okay for a period of time but then happens
    again. If the ME machine is online without the XP
    machine I have no problems. Other information to know -
    I am using a Linksys router. I am starting to believe I
    have the XP machine configured wrong or I have a bad
    cable modem. I need help. The cable company is not
    helping. The machine is brand new. I need help. What
    can you suggest?

    John
    DBM Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cable Modem Problems with XP

    If the Linksys router is between the cable modem and the XP machine, it has
    absolutely nothing to do with XP, and is more a coincidence that the Me
    machine works ok. What makes you think the cable modem is the problem if
    the Me machine works without a problem at all.

    Try updating the drivers for the XP machine network card, check the network
    cable or better yet, swap it with a new one to rule out a damaged cable.

    Make sure the network card in the XP machine is configured according to your
    ISP's instructions as well.

    --
    Bob Michon
    Associate Expert
    "DBM" <dbmoore15adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > I am getting entirely frustrated. My computer keeps
    > hanging up and ultimately boots the cable modem off
    > line. I have one PC on XP and one PC on ME. The ME
    > computer can run all day without a problem but the XP
    > machine fails hangs after a period of time. If I unplug
    > the cable modem (Ericson Piperider) and reboot the cable
    > modem it works okay for a period of time but then happens
    > again. If the ME machine is online without the XP
    > machine I have no problems. Other information to know -
    > I am using a Linksys router. I am starting to believe I
    > have the XP machine configured wrong or I have a bad
    > cable modem. I need help. The cable company is not
    > helping. The machine is brand new. I need help. What
    > can you suggest?
    >
    > John

    Robert Michon Guest