Professional Web Applications Themes

Calibrating my monitor - Adobe Photoshop Elements

PE2 is my first digital photo software so I am pretty new to all the goodies of digital photography including the printing of pictures. However I start to get used to the basics and now notice that the picture on my monitor is significantly different from the one I get via a print out. The real thing is sharper and I find more colour variations. So mostly good things however it also means that I cannot control the enhancement of a picture as I would not know how the printed version would look like untill I printed it. I believe ...

  1. #1

    Default Calibrating my monitor

    PE2 is my first digital photo software so I am pretty new to all the goodies of digital photography including the printing of pictures.
    However I start to get used to the basics and now notice that the picture on my monitor is significantly different from the one I get via a print out.
    The real thing is sharper and I find more colour variations. So mostly good things however it also means that I cannot control the enhancement of a picture as I would not know how the printed version would look like untill I printed it.

    I believe from what I read in this forum that I need to calibrate my monitor.

    Would you agree and if so how do I go about it?

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Calibrating my monitor

    Schraven Robert,

    Calibrating one's monitor is the essential beginning step in achieving a close match between monitor and printer. Ian Lyons has a great website with tons of useful information. PE2 has the same engine as PS7 and so I add a link here to his site. It is best if you can get some information from your monitor manufacturer before profiling, like the chromacity (ex:the white point). If one cannot get the actual values you will need to know what kind of phosphor (sp?) your monitor has. After you do some reading, come back if you have questions, there are lots of knowledgable folks on this forum more than happy to help.

    <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm>

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  3. #3

    Nancy,

    Thank you for your help.

    I tell you what. That calibration is urgently required!
    As a beginner it is costing me an arm and a leg to get some decent print outs.
    Each time I make an adjustment to a picture onscreen I find that the print out is better than the previous one. when I then discover something else that could improve the picture then that print out is better. You just can't see it from the screen!
    My monitor is nearly 5 years old and I wonder if calibration will do the trick.

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  4. #4

    Brent,

    I visited the manufactures' web site and found that the model I own is no longer available. Nonetheless I left a message to be informed about the phosphor and the monitor profile. I visited the photoshop 7 website as suggested by Nancy and it all seems relatively straighforward for me to perform, once I get the info from the manufacturer.

    In terms of brightness, this test with the 12 shades of grey referred to elswhere in the forum, shows that
    with out adjustment the maximum brightness I get from my monitor is just 80% so I fear that I am losing out here.

    Of course I will try to calibrate the monitor as it seems I can only gain by it.

    Thank you both for your help.

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  5. #5

    Correct assumption, Robert. I also use full color management ( meaning the workspace is AdobeRGB ), but that is a different issue from your monitor calibration. I've seen it said that it may be necessary to re-calibrate and profile your monitor monthly, to account for component degradation. That's a little too frequently for me, but I'm not as picky as some folks <G> .

    :-)

    Brent
    brent bertram Guest

  6. #6

    My calibration software tells me to calibrate my monitor every two weeks. And because it says so, I do it every fourteen days. As I consider myself rather ignorant I always do what my computer tells me to do. I'm always afraid something might go wrong if I don't carefully follow instructions.

    The only problem is: I've got to do it in darkness, because otherwise the measuring cell picks up daylight as well. And I learned the hard way....
    Now I've got to wait untill it's dark and I cannot leave the studio to go home before 11.00 PM in summer. ;-))

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  7. #7

    Leen,
    You need to relocate to an area with shorter days ! <G> Perhaps a cottage in Australia in the summer months here .

    :-)

    Brent
    brent bertram Guest

  8. #8

    Leen,

    At the moment it's not even worth it to get up early to beat the daylight. Sun starts at 4.30!
    All you can do is relocate closer to the equator. I have been told that there it gets darker much sooner and it is more abrupt.

    So calibrating should happen regularly! I dind't know that.
    I believe I did well for a first time although I am squinting a bit at the brightness that seems to go with it.

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  9. #9

    Robert, you should know there is no better place to live than behind the dykes in an over 1200 years old small town in the countryside!
    Well, all of you Americans on the forum are jealous now; probably that's why I see so many retired Americans standing in front of my window display in summer.
    ;-)))

    Brent, I'm living about 4 meters below sea level; you want me to go even deeper to the bottom of the world?
    And just only to calibrate my monitor..

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  10. #10

    Australia would do fine - here in South Australia where I am in it is satisfactorily dark by 5.30 or so at the moment. Even in the summer we don't get really long twilight evenings (something I miss from my English childhood!). Depending on how long the callibration took you would be out of the studio by 9-9.30 at the absolute latest even in mid-summer.

    Susan S.
    Susan S. Guest

  11. #11

    A few years ago I was working in the Shetland Isles, and they celebrate the longest day with a flaming Longboat sent out into the bay. Excellent party, a bit strange seeing Vikings in kilts, followed by a short round of golf. The darkest it got was dusk'ish.

    Winter was a bit different, spot the daylight.

    Paul
    Paul L UK Guest

  12. #12

    Leen,

    may be you want to talk to some of the American tourist. They my turn out to be some of you PE2 chums who have visited your website and decided to check you out for themselves in that nice little town of yours below sealevel.

    Paul L Uk is hinting that we all should go to the Shetlands with our monitor in winter. Best nights for calibrating from what I gather.

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest

  13. #13

    How about calibrating a monitor in Alaska? Dark for just only 6 months..

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest