you need a thread as Bruce suggested.
When the request comes in, start the thread.
Wait on the thread for 15-20 seconds (As you like).
If the thread does not complete in that time, then you respond to the client
("still working").
If the thread does complete, then respond with the complete status/result.

Check out the System.Threading namespace, the Monitor class, etc.

eg
this article
[url]http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:EC8zTGEE-dgJ:www.developerfusion.com/scripts/print.aspx%3Fid%3D4134+system.threading+monitor&hl =en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8[/url]
(all on one line)