Professional Web Applications Themes

Camera Ads, Bo Derek and More - Photography

So, I had my usual hour to kill today between 11 and 12, so I spent some time flipping through American Photo, which I normally don't read too seriously. Saw an ad for the Nikon D2x, which they're pushing hard. They spend a crapload on an insert that makes it appear as if the D2X is bursting out of the page. Neat effect. There was an "interesting" article on how a SI photographer recreated a lot of classic shots from past SI swimsuit issues without leaving the studio. The model (Marisa Miller?) was h-h-h-HOT. That's my opinion. We'll have to ...

  1. #1

    Default Camera Ads, Bo Derek and More

    So, I had my usual hour to kill today between 11 and 12, so I spent some
    time flipping through American Photo, which I normally don't read too
    seriously.

    Saw an ad for the Nikon D2x, which they're pushing hard. They spend a
    crapload on an insert that makes it appear as if the D2X is bursting out
    of the page. Neat effect.

    There was an "interesting" article on how a SI photographer recreated a
    lot of classic shots from past SI swimsuit issues without leaving the
    studio. The model (Marisa Miller?) was h-h-h-HOT. That's my opinion.
    We'll have to wait until someone actually measures the heat of the model
    objectively to determine the quantity of hotness.

    Of course, the fact she's younger than me makes me feel old. When did
    the models you ogle stop being like your friend's older sister and are
    now more like your friend's much younger sister? Or for some of you,
    your daughter's friend?

    What I was most surprised by was the picture of Bo Derek that Cody had
    described earlier. I completely forgot that it was in this issue, so
    when I saw this close-up of modern-day Bo Derek with the words "Bo Derek
    at 16" I was a little perplexed. Then I flipped up the page and looked
    at the poster of Bo Derek.

    All I can say is: "WOW!" Bo Derek is one classy lady, and this shot
    captured it perfectly. Not only was the composition and subject
    amazing, but the image quality was just astounding. The poster size
    was, I believe, 16 x 20". The amount of detail that was able to be
    maintained at that size was immense.

    So, images and all else aside, I have to hand Canon the edge in the
    expensive advertising insert category. While the Nikon ad had a lot of
    text and spoke at length about the wonderfulness of the D2X, the Canon
    ad had Bo Derek - and a LOT of Bo Derek. They went over the camera and
    its features, sure, but they showed what arguably has to be the most
    important feature of any pro camera: the image quality. Which was
    impressive. Why Nikon didn't do this is beyond me.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
    Brian Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Camera Ads, Bo Derek and More

    Yea, what was the stuff about Bo Derek at 16? Were they saying that was her
    at 16 years old - RIGHT. Both photos were of Bo Derek now..... exactly with
    the same wrinkles in her face. And yes, that American Photo issue was sure
    a good one for the advertisers. And it was my last issue of the subscription
    to that magazine.... thank goodness.

    "Brian C. Baird" <no> wrote in message

    Daniel Guest

  3. #3

    In article <com>,
    "Daniel" <dcxdan AT yahoo DOT com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    I just saw this this evening. Was the D2X supposed to pop up 3D, or
    inflate, or something? Mine was just a double-thickness inlay with some
    intaglio lines outlining the major components. I ended up ripping it up
    trying to make it do something. ;)

    KeS
    Kevin Guest

  4. #4

    "Daniel" <dcxdan AT yahoo DOT com> wrote in message

    16 MEGAPIXELS (actually 16.7). You have to read the ad.

    Mark

    Mark Guest

  5. #5

    On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 01:11:23 -0500, "Daniel" <dcxdan AT yahoo DOT com> wrote:

    Do you have someone that follows you around reminding you to breathe?

    Bill Guest

  6. #6

    In article <com>, "Daniel" <dcxdan
    AT yahoo DOT com> says...

    16 megapixels. That wasn't too hard to figure out, genius.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
    Brian Guest

  7. #7

    In article <net>, com
    says...

    It would have been better as a pop-up book.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
    Brian Guest

  8. #8

    I thought her skin looked like plastic.

    Brian C. Baird wrote:
    the poster of Bo Derek.

    John Guest

  9. #9

    "John Roberts" <com> wrote in message

    Photoshop might be good, but it stops short of miracles ;o)

    >[/ref]

    Gizmo Guest

  10. #10

    Gizmo wrote:

    > Photoshop might be good, but it stops short of miracles ;o)
    >[/ref]

    At her age, more likely BoTox than plastic... That and plenty of makeup!

    --
    Ron Hunter net
    Ron Guest

  11. #11

    In article <KikXd.3878$lga>, net says...

    She still looks better than average at her advanced, decrepid age <G>.

    It has suddenly dawned on me (with the help of my beautiful wife) that even
    when I was young and handsome, I wasn't!

    60 now, and VERY decrepid.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

  12. #12

    "Brian C. Baird" <no> wrote in message

    It is when they seem like your granddaughter's friend that it starts really
    getting to you.

    C Guest

  13. #13

    Larry wrote:

    > She still looks better than average at her advanced, decrepid age <G>.
    >
    > It has suddenly dawned on me (with the help of my beautiful wife) that even
    > when I was young and handsome, I wasn't!
    >
    > 60 now, and VERY decrepid.
    >
    >[/ref]
    I know the feeling, at 62. I was, relatively, decent looking when
    younger (25), but not Clark Gable. Yeah, I can hear all the young ones
    here saying 'WHO?'.

    --
    Ron Hunter net
    Ron Guest

  14. #14

    In article <XdmXd.13128$lga>, net says...

    > > She still looks better than average at her advanced, decrepid age <G>.
    > >
    > > It has suddenly dawned on me (with the help of my beautiful wife) that even
    > > when I was young and handsome, I wasn't!
    > >
    > > 60 now, and VERY decrepid.
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    > I know the feeling, at 62. I was, relatively, decent looking when
    > younger (25), but not Clark Gable. Yeah, I can hear all the young ones
    > here saying 'WHO?'.
    >

    >[/ref]

    Yeah!

    I guess many dont remember the heros of our generation.

    Even The mention John Wayne raises questions around the table when the table
    has the younger crowd.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

  15. #15

    In article <com>,
    com says... [/ref]

    Naw, at that point in my life I'll cherish my dirty old man persona.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
    Brian Guest

  16. #16

    Larry states:
     [/ref]

    Even The mention John Wayne raises questions around the table when the
    table
    has the younger crowd. <<

    And John Wayne was a hero of what war?

    Charlie Guest

  17. #17

    In article <googlegroups.com>,
    com says... [/ref]

    > Even The mention John Wayne raises questions around the table when the
    > table
    > has the younger crowd. <<
    >
    > And John Wayne was a hero of what war?
    >
    >[/ref]

    If you followed the thread you would know we were talking about "movie
    heros".

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

  18. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    cdubea@movingpart.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  19. #19

    Larry Lynch responds:
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]

    the

    If you followed the thread you would know we were talking about "movie
    heros". <<

    Ah. With Clark Gable's name up there, I thought you were talking about
    real people who did real things, as well as movie types.

    Charlie Guest