Professional Web Applications Themes

Camera aspect ratio vs desired print size question - Photography

Hi all: As a digital newbie, I am still confused about many things, but one thing in particular is bothering me: my Dimage 7i has an aspect ratio of 4 to 3, so if you want to resize an image to a 4 by 6 for printing, a dilemma occurs. If the width is set to 6, then, while keeping proportions, then height is 4.5". So, if I want a 6 by 4 print, what do I do? Do I have to Crop? Squish? Anything else? Thanks in advance and, please, be gentle. Ed...

  1. #1

    Default Camera aspect ratio vs desired print size question

    Hi all:

    As a digital newbie, I am still confused about many things, but one thing in
    particular is bothering me: my Dimage 7i has an aspect ratio of 4 to 3, so
    if you want to resize an image to a 4 by 6 for printing, a dilemma occurs.
    If the width is set to 6, then, while keeping proportions, then height is
    4.5".

    So, if I want a 6 by 4 print, what do I do? Do I have to Crop? Squish?
    Anything else?

    Thanks in advance and, please, be gentle.

    Ed

    ed Guest

  2. #2

    you either have to crop or have some "white space" on the edges.

    But, there is no real answer (and 35mm does this as well) since the aspect
    ration for 5x7, 8x10 and 4x6 (and 3.5x5) are all different, no one single
    capture format will be perfect for all of them.

    Photo printing software (and web services) have some kind of fit/fill (Ofoto
    calls it zoom/crop) that will either fit the entire picture onthe paper and
    give it some white space in the extra space or put one dimension on
    full-bleed and then crop off the extra pictures to fill out the paper.

    "ed" <candele> wrote in message
    > Hi all:
    >
    > As a digital newbie, I am still confused about many things, but one thing
    in
    > particular is bothering me: my Dimage 7i has an aspect ratio of 4 to 3, so
    > if you want to resize an image to a 4 by 6 for printing, a dilemma occurs.
    > If the width is set to 6, then, while keeping proportions, then height is
    > 4.5".
    >
    > So, if I want a 6 by 4 print, what do I do? Do I have to Crop? Squish?
    > Anything else?
    >
    > Thanks in advance and, please, be gentle.
    >
    > Ed

    Bill Jackson Guest

  3. #3

    "ed" <candele> wrote in message
    > Hi all:
    >
    > As a digital newbie, I am still confused about many things, but one thing
    in
    > particular is bothering me: my Dimage 7i has an aspect ratio of 4 to 3, so
    > if you want to resize an image to a 4 by 6 for printing, a dilemma occurs.
    > If the width is set to 6, then, while keeping proportions, then height is
    > 4.5".
    >
    > So, if I want a 6 by 4 print, what do I do? Do I have to Crop? Squish?
    > Anything else?
    >
    > Thanks in advance and, please, be gentle.
    >
    > Ed

    Ed,

    Seems like most newbies struggle with this one so join the crowd. You need
    to crop the image to a 4 by 6 ratio. So starting with the 2560 x 1920 4:3
    ratio image, crop to 2560 x 1707 -- a 3:2 ratio. Of course you can crop to
    any size smaller as long as you retain the ratio.

    Hopefully someone will point you to a "printing" primer.

    Best of Luck

    Don Coon Guest

  4. #4

    There is nothing sacred about ANY aspect ratio. If you wanted a 5 x 7
    or 8 x 10 print, those are not same aspect ratio as 4 x 6. Photos in
    any format are almost meant to be cropped. If you order an 8 x 10 from a
    35mm negative, the printer usually uses HIS judgement on where to crop
    (or merely takes centermost region).

    At least with digital, with any decent image editor, cropping is easy,
    and up to YOU.

    And, when you print on 4 x 6 paper, you do not need to crop to 4 x 6
    size. You can use an X-acto knife, or better yet a paper cutter, to
    trim uneven margins.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota
    [email]staufferusfamily.net[/email]

  5. #5

    Bill Jackson wrote:

    That is why in addition to 4x6, 8x12,12x18, and 10x15 are gaining popularity.

    > in [/ref]

    Yes. Some camera have a 3:2 mode.
     [/ref]

    JK Guest

  6. #6

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:13:01 -0400, JK <net> wrote:

    >That is why in addition to 4x6, 8x12,12x18, and 10x15 are gaining popularity.[/ref]

    Check out the European paper sizes -- they are much more
    appropriate for the 3:2 ratio of 35 mm frames.

    Eg., A4 is a bit longer and a bit narrower than US Letter size --
    exactly what you want for printing from 35 mm frames.

    The beauty of the metric paper sizes is that they all have
    exactly the same aspect ratio.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe Guest