Professional Web Applications Themes

camera.centre.net.au - what's the deal? Lowest price from PhotoContinental? - Photography

hi, What's the deal with camera.centre.net.au? They seem to have much lower prices than anyone else on the 10D and 300D. I remember reading that they provide their own warranty on certain cameras, is that why? What's the lowest price one has picked up a 10D from photo continental for? Just the body. thanks! -- com.au is a valid email address. Don't remove anything!...

  1. #1

    Default camera.centre.net.au - what's the deal? Lowest price from PhotoContinental?

    --
    com.au is a valid email address. Don't remove anything!
    eug Guest

  2. #2

    eug k <com.au> wrote:

    I just called them up, and the warranty's with Canon. That's a pretty good price
    then! I wonder if anyone else can match it or come close to it.

  3. #3

    When they offer thier own warranty the goods are coming in from overseas.
    'grey importing'.

    It can be fun, you can buy the current model Canon EF 28-105 f4~5.6 for $200
    (+$35 shipping) when the cheapest price here is $400 plus about $15
    shipping.

    Sigma lenses are generally half price. Stuff like Voigtlander rangefinders
    are a third the price.

    "eug k" <com.au> wrote in message
    news:bl82t6$fga$cc.uq.edu.au... [/ref]
    prices [/ref]
    provide

    > I just called them up, and the warranty's with Canon. That's a pretty good[/ref]
    price [/ref]
    for? Just [/ref]
    anything!
    anything!

    David Guest

  4. #4

    David in Perth <com.au> wrote:

    Say what? DCC have them for $298.58. I can't even find them mentioned on
    centre.net.au.

    Scott
    Scott Guest

  5. #5

    David in Perth <com.au> wrote:

    oh well.. bit the bullet and picked up a 10D today. $3099 with pro kit. I'll
    stick with my 28-105 till I can afford something better!

    centre.net.au was out of stock, the next three shipments were sold, it would
    take three weeks till the next shipment comes in.

     [/ref]

  6. #6

    > I just called them up, and the warranty's with Canon.

    This contradicts their previous comments/arrangement which was to provide a
    replacement camera (from their own "spare" stock) where a fault existed.
    They haven't stated that Canon Australia supports the product have they?
    Maybe they mean that the product is supported by Canon but in the US (or
    elsewhere for that matter) and needs to be returned there for repair. I
    think this requires further clarification before purchasing. Either way is
    fine, as long as you know up front...

    JJ

    John Guest

  7. #7

    Thought you guys might be interested, just checked the prices of
    camera.centre.net.au and was shocked by the cheap prices they are offering,
    so I called up canon and asked them how they are selling the 10D and 300D
    for those prices.

    The Canon Sales Rep told me that they do not have an account with them, and
    camera.centre.net.au is importing the cameras from overseas, which basically
    means that it is grey market, and there is no Australian warranty.

    Canon and other suppliers are currently trying to shut down
    camera.centre.net.au

    just some behind the scences info.

    "eug k" <com.au> wrote in message
    prices
    for? Just
    anything!

    Sam Guest

  8. #8

    ah, no wonder. Is it actually illegal?

  9. #9

    It is quite legal for a legitimately registered business in Australia to
    import goods from overseas and sell them retail. The risk (for such a
    business) is that they are considered to be the manufacturer under the Trade
    Practices Act for the purpose of warranty. B&H in America do this and have
    their own Technicians. Wether or not an Australian business could sustain a
    service centre like that is very debatable so any warranty would more than
    likely be done overseas. As for "shutting them down" LOL with that!

    Doug
    ------------------------
    "eug k" <com.au> wrote in message
    news:blanjg$11o$cc.uq.edu.au... [/ref]
    offering, [/ref]
    300D [/ref]
    and [/ref]
    basically

    > ah, no wonder. Is it actually illegal?
    >

    > > prices [/ref][/ref]
    provide
    > > for? Just
    > > anything!
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > --
    > com.au is a valid email address. Don't remove[/ref]
    anything!

    Snaps. Guest

  10. #10

    "Sam" <com.au> wrote:

    Rather convenient. Throwing mud is usually not the best way to gain credibility
    for your own interests.

    >prices
    >for? Just
    >anything!
    >
    >[/ref]

    j Guest

  11. #11

    "Sam" <com.au> wrote in news:3f78df92$iprimus.com.au:

    Grey import of course....

    Good on them, choice to the consumer is good. This is no different then
    ordering the camera from somewhere else in the world, if you are
    comfortable with doing that, you now do virtually the same thing from them.

    Which is unfortunate and is surely trying to restrict trade under the TPA.
    Just because Canon Australia want to "price gouge" the Australian consumer
    is no need for the ACCC to let them.

    Let the consumer decide.

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein
    Trevor Guest

  12. #12

    Snaps. <com.au> wrote:

    Ah, that makes sense. If they had it in stock, I probably would have got it
    from them. $270 might not be a lot to some people, but it's quite a bit to me! :)

  13. #13

    Are you able to quote a source when you say Canon and other suppliers
    are trying to close down this website?... Canon certainly has no legal
    recourse to take any action against them whatsoever.
    Comments like this amount to slander. Canon and all other reputable
    suppliers tend to abide by trade practices law in the way they conduct
    their affairs.
    I would suggest that if you have any evidence to support this statement
    that you hand it over to the ACCC.
    I doubt that they'll be hearing from you.

    Sam wrote:

    --
    serge
    serge's Profile: http://forums.eyo.com.au/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6771

    serge Guest

  14. #14

    "serge" <forums.eyo.com.au> wrote:

    Slander = Spoken
    Libel = Written

    I am not a lawyer

    Hope this helps.

    Ken Guest

  15. #15

    I also think that Canon would have legal recourse not to shut a site down
    but to stop the grey importing of items. It is my understanding that they
    can take action against grey importers, but I though it was civil action.

    "Ken" <n e w s (at) k e n c h a n d l e r . c o m> wrote in message

    > Slander = Spoken
    > Libel = Written
    >
    > I am not a lawyer
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    >[/ref]

    VH-CBR Guest

  16. #16

    "eug k" <com.au> wrote in message

    I'll

    er you just spent $3k...
    you could have bought a 24-70L and a 300D (if u need a dslr, otherwise EOS1v
    and a good scanner!)

    adam f

    Adam Guest

  17. #17

    "VH-CBR" <com> wrote in message

    nah 'twould be anti-competitive (not that they're competitive anyway!)

    adam f

    Adam Guest

  18. #18

    "Adam F" <edu.au> wrote:
     [/ref]

    .... but a 300D, as lovely as it is, is not a 10D

    .... or he could have bought ~310 Kodak disposable cameras, but he'd still
    need to pay for developing.

    I'm not sure why you'd recommend the cheapest digital body at one end and
    the most expensive film body at the other. Eug is probably only interested
    in a mid-range dSLR body ... something like a 10D for example.

    :^D

    KC

    Ken Guest

  19. #19

    Adam F <edu.au> wrote:
    > I'll
    >
    > er you just spent $3k...
    > you could have bought a 24-70L and a 300D (if u need a dslr, otherwise EOS1v
    > and a good scanner!)[/ref]

    The better lenses will come later, I can't get all at one go! :(
    I would have probably gotten the 300D if it was available then. There's
    an event this week that I was hoping to use it for. Anyway, the 10D
    does feel like it's better built (metal), has a larger buffer, lets me
    have more control, and is basically a lot closer to my EOS50 than a 300D.
    It's definitely something that will last, so I may as well spend a bit
    more for a tougher body and a basically a better camera.

    EOS1v.. i'd still have to pay for developing. That's what I'm trying to
    get away from. Nice body 'tho...

  20. #20

    Ken <n e w s (at) k e n c h a n d l e r . c o m> wrote: [/ref]
    [....]

    > ... or he could have bought ~310 Kodak disposable cameras, but he'd still
    > need to pay for developing.[/ref]

    That's right... digital cameras allow me to experiment so much more - I
    don't have to pay for developing, which means I can try out all kinds
    of settings for all sorts of situations, and I get to see the results
    immediately. Sure, it's possible with film, but it'll cost way way more. :)

    yeah, I was looking for something close to my current film body, the eos50.
    I had a minolta dimage7, but it was a frustrating camera to use, coming
    from a film slr background. Long shutter lag, comparatively bad AF, bad batt
    life, slow shot-to-shot time...