Professional Web Applications Themes

Camera for person with only left hand - Photography

I am looking for a digital point-and-shoot camera that can be used easily by a person who has only the left hand. I tried various point-and-shoot models, and while they were fairly easy to use with the right hand, they were very difficult to use with the left, since the shutter button fell completely in the wrong place. Maybe one can hold the camera upside down... but that also didn't feel very confortable. Any suggestions? Thanks! Peter...

  1. #1

    Default Camera for person with only left hand

    I am looking for a digital point-and-shoot camera that can be used
    easily by a person who has only the left hand.
    I tried various point-and-shoot models, and while they were fairly
    easy to use with the right hand, they were very difficult to use with
    the left, since
    the shutter button fell completely in the wrong place.
    Maybe one can hold the camera upside down... but that also didn't feel
    very confortable.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

    Peter
    Peter Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Camera for person with only left hand

    On 29 Jul 2003 01:34:43 -0700, com (Peter Lampione)
    wrote:

    Maybe a digicam with a swivable LCD display like G1/G2/G3/G5 and some
    Nikons. He could still hold it with his left hand, extend the lcd
    display totally to the left and hold the camera where a normal camera
    would have it's lcd. I can imagine that this won't be easy.
    I wish him good luck and hope he can find a solution.
    Citizen Guest

  3. #3

    Try a small camera like the. canon S230 or S400. Although the shutter
    release is on the right hand side (like all cameras), it is possible to hold
    the camera with a left hand and press the shutter release with the left
    index finger.

    It doesn't feel very comfortable to hold this way, and the LCD screen can be
    partially blocked. If you can find a small camera with the LCD screen closer
    to the right side, that would solve one minor problem.

    Or you might want to consider mounting the camera on a left hand grip and
    rig a remote shutter release on it. This makes the camera bulkier but is
    much more comfortable to use and it widens your choice of cameras. Plus,
    this custom hand grip could potentially be usable on many cameras.

    And one funny idea: the nikon coolpix 990, 995, 4500, etc cameras allow you
    to twist the lens to face backwards. You can hold the camera in this
    configuration with a left hand and the lens will face forward. The only
    problem is the LCD display now faces the subject, not the photographer!

    Good luck.

    "Peter Lampione" <com> wrote in message

    peter Guest

  4. #4

    Have you tried to holed the camera upside down hit the shutter button
    with your tum, you can allways turn the pictures around when you get
    home hope this helps.
    Louis

    DUBUC@webtv.net Guest

  5. #5

    Good luck - I don't there is a camera made today that is designed for
    lefty's. Sad too because many creative types are left handed. Just cots too
    much to make two models.

    Bill

    "Peter Lampione" <com> wrote in message

    Bill Guest

  6. #6

    Peter Lampione wrote:
    with
    feel

    My wife is one handed also, with little use of her right hand, the
    only camera that we found to work was the Nikon 2500, used upside
    down. It took some getting used to, but it works! This is used for
    sanpshooting and tourist type pictures. Also the lanyard help to keep
    the camera steady.
    LES UNGERLEIDER

    LesU Guest

  7. #7

    peter <com> wrote:

    I find camera shake is bad enough for righties with these small cameras.
    I think it would be very difficult to avoid for a leftie.

    Tripods work, but aren't very practical. I wonder if a wired or remote
    shutter cord might be a good solution. The G2 (and I imagine the latter
    ones) comes with a remote that's good up to 10 or 15ft. It would need to
    be radio instead of infrared to work. With the wired kind, she could
    hold with the left hand and perhaps hit the release with the right.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
    Jason Guest

  8. #8

    Hi Peter,

    I cannot think of any model that fits your requirements, however some models
    are supplied with a remote control (Olympus Mju 300/400, Canon G3/G5) and
    some can be used with an optional remote as well.

    I know Fuji recently launched a 35mm compact camera that has shutter buttons
    on both sides of the camera, so they may incorporate this feature in their
    digital cameras in the future.

    Thats all I can think off.

    Cheers,
    Stephen.
    "Peter Lampione" <com> wrote in message

    Stephen Guest

  9. #9

    > "Peter Lampione" <com> wrote
     [/ref]

    Just an idea, but it might help.

    I've got a Nikon 995 - one of the Coolpix series that swivels - and being
    left handed myself, I've just had a bit of a play to see if it could be used
    with that hand alone. If you are prepared to use the optical viewfinder
    only, it would be ideal for you. With the lens facing backwards (compared to
    'normal' position) the button will be on the left hand side but towards the
    rear of the main (non-lens) section of the camera. It is still easy to press
    the go-button, but the top LCD will be upside down, as will the photo, which
    will have to be rotated in an editor.

    Holding the camera flat, with the lens pointing 'down' (so you shoot
    forwards while looking down on the LCD) you can see the display but the
    button is at the back on the left side - still useable but less so than the
    other method.

    I guess *everything* you do must be difficult with only one hand, so maybe
    this may not seem as difficult for you as it seems to me (bearing in mind us
    lefties have trouble with everything from power saws to tin-openers as it
    is!)

    Paul

    Paul Guest

  10. #10

    peter <com> wrote:

    I just got a Canon S400. My hands are pretty small for a man, but
    I can hold it OK with my left. My middle finger covers the shutter
    button comfortably, but my index finger won't reach. There's no
    problem of blocking the viewfinder or LCD. It's a bit of a stretch
    to operate the zoom lever with my middle finger, though.

    The upside-down position is awkward, but possible. The best I have
    found is to put the thumb on top, support the weight of the camera
    with the index finger, and use the middle finger for shutter and
    zoom. There's a tendency for the index finger to block the viewfinder.
    I think my hand would get cramped after a few minutes of this.

     [/ref]

    Patrick Guest