Professional Web Applications Themes

Camera Suggestions - Mac Applications & Software

I'm not very Techno Savy when it comes to hardware. My Daughter and her husband have a Dell computer running M$ XP. They just bought a digital camera. They snap some pixs, plug into their computer USB, and software that came with the camera grabs the pix and they can print or email the pixs in a matter of minutes. Can someone make some suggestions of digital cameras that will work with my new iMac? What softwware do I need to buy? Looking for someting in a mid $$$ range with simple features but good pix. TIA... -- -=[cwa]=-...

  1. #1

    Default Camera Suggestions

    --
    -=[cwa]=-
    Christopher W Aiken Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Camera Suggestions

    In article <chris-FE90E5.11450206072003news.fu-berlin.de>,
    Christopher W Aiken <chrisnospam.net> wrote:
    > I'm not very Techno Savy when it comes to hardware. My Daughter and
    > her husband have a Dell computer running M$ XP. They just bought a
    > digital camera. They snap some pixs, plug into their computer USB, and
    > software that came with the camera grabs the pix and they can print or
    > email the pixs in a matter of minutes.
    >
    > Can someone make some suggestions of digital cameras that will work with
    > my new iMac? What softwware do I need to buy? Looking for someting in
    > a mid $$$ range with simple features but good pix.
    >
    > TIA...
    Just about any digital camera with a USB cable will do that. You
    already have the software installed in your new iMac. It's called
    iPhoto.

    --
    Rodger
    Rodger Guest

  3. #3

    In article <Nospam-E15912.12081506072003newssvr28.news.prodigy.com>,
    Rodger <Nospamnowhere.invalid> wrote:
    > In article <chris-FE90E5.11450206072003news.fu-berlin.de>,
    > Christopher W Aiken <chrisnospam.net> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm not very Techno Savy when it comes to hardware. My Daughter and
    > > her husband have a Dell computer running M$ XP. They just bought a
    > > digital camera. They snap some pixs, plug into their computer USB, and
    > > software that came with the camera grabs the pix and they can print or
    > > email the pixs in a matter of minutes.
    > >
    > > Can someone make some suggestions of digital cameras that will work with
    > > my new iMac? What softwware do I need to buy? Looking for someting in
    > > a mid $$$ range with simple features but good pix.
    > >
    > > TIA...
    >
    > Just about any digital camera with a USB cable will do that. You
    > already have the software installed in your new iMac. It's called
    > iPhoto.
    Right. This stuff just works.

    To give a proper recommendation for a camera, it would help to know what
    you want to do with it. Are you a point and shoot type of person? Do
    you ever want to exercise more control over your photographs? Have you
    ever owned an SLR? Did you enjoy the experience?

    Digital cameras fall into three broad categories: small point & shoot
    models, point & shoot models with semiautomatic and full manual
    capabilities, and full on SLRs. I recommend the middle category, which
    gives you the convenience and small size of a P&S but the ability to do
    pretty much anything you want. My current camera is an Olympus C-5050Z.
    I took it and my PowerBook to New Zealand in April and was very pleased
    with the results ([url]http://www.disordered.org/Travel-NZ.html[/url]). There are other,
    less expensive and lower resolution models in the same line that may fit
    your requirements.

    As for software, you don't need anything beyond the base capabilities of
    Mac OS X to download and view pictures. Most cameras plug in via a USB
    cable and appear as a disk on your desktop. And the included Image
    Capture application simplifies transfer even more. But you'll likely
    want to crop at least some of your shots. And rescale and shrink some
    of them to share with others. For low end image editing, I'd look at
    Photoshop Elements and Graphic Converter.

    --
    Hank Shiffman [url]http://www.disordered.org[/url]
    Have Opinion, Will Travel [email]hankdisordered.org[/email]

  4. #4

    Christopher W Aiken:
    > Can someone make some suggestions of digital cameras that will work with
    > my new iMac? What softwware do I need to buy? Looking for someting in
    > a mid $$$ range with simple features but good pix.
    You do not need to buy software to download pix from your camera to
    your Mac. It's built in to OS X. Just make sure that you open Image
    Capture (located in your Applications folder) and check the preferences
    to ensure that iPhoto will load when the camera is plugged in. If you
    want to do more than very basic editing, Adobe Photoshop Elements is
    excellent and easy to use.

    The pros, by the way, don't plug the camera in; they take the card out
    of the camera and insert it into a card reader of some sort. I use a
    FireWire Compact Flash Card Reader.

    Camera? I use a Nikon D100 (about $3,000 with lens and flash), but
    that's probably not what you are looking for. I have tried the new
    Canon PowerShot A70
    <http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a70.html> and it is
    impressive. I'm going to buy one for my wife for our upcoming wedding
    anniversary. It has an easy point-and-shoot mode, but manual overrides
    are available for when you become more experienced. You would do well
    to at least take a look at this camera before you buy.

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Davoud Guest

  5. #5

    In article <chris-FE90E5.11450206072003news.fu-berlin.de>,
    Christopher W Aiken <chrisnospam.net> wrote:
    > I'm not very Techno Savy when it comes to hardware. My Daughter and
    > her husband have a Dell computer running M$ XP. They just bought a
    > digital camera. They snap some pixs, plug into their computer USB, and
    > software that came with the camera grabs the pix and they can print or
    > email the pixs in a matter of minutes.
    >
    > Can someone make some suggestions of digital cameras that will work with
    > my new iMac? What softwware do I need to buy? Looking for someting in
    > a mid $$$ range with simple features but good pix.
    >
    > TIA...
    You won't need any special equipment or software on your iMac. Just
    plug the camera into the usb port and turn it on. Your Mac will launch
    iPhoto automatically. Then all you need to do is click in the button to
    import the pictures from the camera.

    Some other tips about digital camera's:
    1 Optical zoom is a critical consideration. Get a minimum of 3x
    optical.
    2 Many camera's tout their digital zoom, but condsider this, if you
    have a 3 megapixel camera and you use a 3x digital zoom, you've
    effectively reduced this to a 1 MP camera. Optical is much better. Use
    digital zoom only when you can't get the picture any other way.
    3 Resolution is important. Don't settle for less than 3 MP. Get more
    if you can afford it.
    4 The size of the camera's memory card is often a significant factor in
    its day-to-day usability. Many camera's come with an 8 Meg card as
    standard. With today's multi-megapixel camera's, a card that size will
    only hold about 5 pictures at their best quality. So, your second
    purchase after the camera should be a much bigger storage card. Minimum
    of 64 Meg. Maybe more than one. Try looking at "www.dealram.com" for
    the best price.
    5 The second most important factor in day-to-day usability is battery
    life. These camera's can be very taxing on a camera's batteries. Look
    for a camera that uses rechargable batterys. And carry a second set so
    that you can keep on shooting if you run-out.

    --
    Please reply to the group, not by email. The email address in the
    header is not real. You could try using Adelphia instead.

  6. #6

    On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 20:35:28 +0100, JAlves wrote:
    >> Can someone make some suggestions of digital cameras that will work with
    >> my new iMac?
    > >
    > Some other tips about digital camera's:
    <snip>

    6. Also consider the time it takes to switch the camera on. If you take
    pictures which are all carefully framed and posed, this isn't an issue, but
    if you like to take a quick snap of something fun which happens just at that
    instant, then some cameras take for ever to get ready to take a picture.

    Martin

    Martin S Taylor Guest

  7. #7

    In article <060720031335549077%starsky.net>, Davoud <starsky.net>
    wrote:
    > Christopher W Aiken:
    > > Can someone make some suggestions of digital cameras that will work with
    > > my new iMac? What softwware do I need to buy? Looking for someting in
    > > a mid $$$ range with simple features but good pix.
    >
    > You do not need to buy software to download pix from your camera to
    > your Mac. It's built in to OS X. Just make sure that you open Image
    > Capture (located in your Applications folder) and check the preferences
    > to ensure that iPhoto will load when the camera is plugged in. If you
    > want to do more than very basic editing, Adobe Photoshop Elements is
    > excellent and easy to use.
    >
    > The pros, by the way, don't plug the camera in; they take the card out
    > of the camera and insert it into a card reader of some sort. I use a
    > FireWire Compact Flash Card Reader.
    >
    > Camera? I use a Nikon D100 (about $3,000 with lens and flash), but
    > that's probably not what you are looking for. I have tried the new
    > Canon PowerShot A70
    > <http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a70.html> and it is
    > impressive. I'm going to buy one for my wife for our upcoming wedding
    > anniversary. It has an easy point-and-shoot mode, but manual overrides
    > are available for when you become more experienced. You would do well
    > to at least take a look at this camera before you buy.
    >
    > Davoud
    I thought this looked pretty nice (thanks for the link), so I went
    to Staples to get one, as their price was the same as any of the Net
    sources. Lo and behold, they have *one* left, and the (yet another
    expert) salesman informs me that it is about to be succeeded by the
    A90, but can't tell me when. I left without buying it and checked the
    Canon site. There is no evidence of any A90. Did I just get frigged by
    yet another expert? If he would have kept his mouth shut I'd have a new
    camera sitting in front of me instead of a lukewarm Dr. Pepper.

    I went elsewhere to look at scanners. It is evident that large
    formats have exited into the ranks of the "Pro" hardware. So, I was
    about to pick up an Epson 2400 for 180 bucks when I see there is no
    mention of compatibility with OS X, just 8.6-9.x. A peek at the 3200's
    box shows 10.1.3 and up, but at a wallet-wilting 400 clams. The
    question here: is anyone using a 2400 with X? If not, what are you
    using?

    Rick
    Sea Jhett Guest

  8. #8

    << From: Sea Jhett [email]riptidemalibu.net[/email]
    Date: Wed, Jul 9, 2003 1:04 AM

    wrote:
    > Christopher W Aiken:
    > > Can someone make some suggestions of digital cameras that will work with
    > > my new iMac? What softwware do I need to buy? Looking for someting in
    > > a mid $$$ range with simple features but good pix.
    >
    > You do not need to buy software to download pix from your camera to
    > your Mac. It's built in to OS X. Just make sure that you open Image
    > Capture (located in your Applications folder) and check the preferences
    > to ensure that iPhoto will load when the camera is plugged in. If you
    > want to do more than very basic editing, Adobe Photoshop Elements is
    > excellent and easy to use.
    >
    > The pros, by the way, don't plug the camera in; they take the card out
    > of the camera and insert it into a card reader of some sort. I use a
    > FireWire Compact Flash Card Reader.
    >
    > Camera? I use a Nikon D100 (about $3,000 with lens and flash), but
    > that's probably not what you are looking for. I have tried the new
    > Canon PowerShot A70
    > <http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a70.html> and it is
    > impressive. I'm going to buy one for my wife for our upcoming wedding
    > anniversary. It has an easy point-and-shoot mode, but manual overrides
    > are available for when you become more experienced. You would do well
    > to at least take a look at this camera before you buy.
    >
    > Davoud
    I thought this looked pretty nice (thanks for the link), so I went
    to Staples to get one, as their price was the same as any of the Net
    sources. Lo and behold, they have *one* left, and the (yet another
    expert) salesman informs me that it is about to be succeeded by the
    A90, but can't tell me when. I left without buying it and checked the
    Canon site. There is no evidence of any A90. Did I just get frigged by
    yet another expert? If he would have kept his mouth shut I'd have a new
    camera sitting in front of me instead of a lukewarm Dr. Pepper.

    I went elsewhere to look at scanners. It is evident that large
    formats have exited into the ranks of the "Pro" hardware. So, I was
    about to pick up an Epson 2400 for 180 bucks when I see there is no
    mention of compatibility with OS X, just 8.6-9.x. A peek at the 3200's
    box shows 10.1.3 and up, but at a wallet-wilting 400 clams. The
    question here: is anyone using a 2400 with X? If not, what are you
    using?

    Rick >><BR><BR>
    You may hit the same problem that I had with a Canon 1220 scanner. You could
    only scan with system X by using an Adobe Photoshop (think it includes
    Elements) Plug in for the Twain driver. See below:

    <A
    HREF="http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin-Store/support/Supportdlsurvey.jsp?BV_Us
    eBVCookie=yes&amp;download=ftp%3a%2f%2fftp.epson.c om%2fdrivers%2fepson1058
    8.sea.hqx&amp;pn=Perfection+2400+PHOTO&amp;pc=EPSO N+Perfection%3csup%3e%26
    reg%3b%3c%2fsup%3e+Series&amp;ft=driver&amp;return page=%2fsupport%2fsupDet
    ail.jsp&amp;returnparams=%26infoType%3dDownloads%2 6oid%3d14587%26prodoid%3
    d21643926&amp;licenseoid=17774">Twain Driver v5.75A</A>
    Macintosh OS X
    epson10588.sea.hqx - 10.8MB - posted on 11/20/02
    The installer will place a folder on your desktop called epson10588. Open the
    folder and double click on the DMG file icon to extract the Epson drive icon to
    your desktop. Open the drive icon and double click on Epson Twain 5 installer
    to start the installation. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete
    installation.

    This file is for use with Macintosh OS X (v10.2 - 10.2.3).

    FredBillie Guest

  9. #9

    I have a Canon PowerShot S230. It's 3.2 megapixels with a 2X real zoom
    and 6X digital zoom capacity. I find it's small size and ruggedness real
    pluses. I highly recommend it.

    Rich Sagall
    Rich Sagall Guest

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    chibitul Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. #11

    Hello all..

    I have been wanting to get serious about photography for some time and I
    wanted to get some suggestions on camera models and lenses. Thanks.

    Shane

    Shane Ephlin Guest

  12. #12

    In article <nLSZa.6970$M6.534643newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink .net>,
    [email]redcessnaearthlink.net[/email] says...
    > Hello all..
    >
    > I have been wanting to get serious about photography for some time and I
    > wanted to get some suggestions on camera models and lenses. Thanks.
    >

    > Shane

    What format? I assume 35mm..... but one never knows on this group.
    --
    John O.
    There is no slack in light attack.

  13. #13

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:10:59 GMT, "Shane Ephlin"
    <redcessnaearthlink.net> wrote:
    >Hello all..
    >I have been wanting to get serious about photography for some time and I
    >wanted to get some suggestions on camera models and lenses. Thanks.
    >Shane
    You have to be more specific. What are you looking for exactly?
    Do you want the latest autofocus digital wonder? Or do you want to do
    some real photography with an older manual focus film camera? Best
    advice is to visit some local photography stores, both the ones that
    sell new gear and those that sell used, and get some hands on with
    various makes and models.
    Slingblade Guest