Professional Web Applications Themes

Camera theft - has it happened to you ? - Photography

I ask because a young gentleman attempted to relieve me of my Nikon Coolpix 5700 the other day. To cut a long story short, he engaged me in a brief conversation and asked me whether cameras of that quality were often stolen from women wandering about on their own, such as I was, and did I think I was capable of preventing him if he tried to abscond with mine (though in less civil terms, making no doubt in my mind that he was threatening to do that very thing and expected me to go all frightened and stupid and ...

  1. #1

    Default Camera theft - has it happened to you ?

    I ask because a young gentleman attempted to relieve me of my Nikon Coolpix
    5700 the other day. To cut a long story short, he engaged me in a brief
    conversation and asked me whether cameras of that quality were often stolen
    from women wandering about on their own, such as I was, and did I think I
    was capable of preventing him if he tried to abscond with mine (though in
    less civil terms, making no doubt in my mind that he was threatening to do
    that very thing and expected me to go all frightened and stupid and hand the
    thing over like a good little girl). I replied that he better try his luck
    and I'd see if I couldn't put out his eyes in the process (very fond of my
    Nikon, I am.) He came to the conclusion that his eyes were more important
    than getting his hands on my camera, then he legged it and I carried on
    shooting. All this not a quarter mile from my own front door. Sigh.

    How do you guys deal with this, if it happens ? Has it happened to you and
    you've had to give your gear up ? Some of the kit around in digital
    photography is pretty pricey and I guess the opportunist thief sees it
    hanging there round yer neck and wants a piece. I understand that in popular
    tourist spots, some crims will "steal to order" too.

    Rachael

    Rachael Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Camera theft - has it happened to you ?

    You need a GLOCK camera theft deterrent.

    "Rachael the Wiccan Rat" <com> wrote in message
    Coolpix
    stolen
    the
    popular

    ajacobs2 Guest

  3. #3

    Glad you were able to fend him off. Attitude is one of the most
    important things in these situations and you had it. Any potential thief
    will usually just find someone else easier to target. This has never
    happened to me but I like to take a monopod with me whenever I can. Even
    the lightest one makes a good weapon and can look somewhat intimidating
    when used as a walking stick.

    Allegro Guest

  4. #4

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:21:00 GMT, "ajacobs2"
    <rr.com> wrote:

    Crocodile Dundee.... 'Now that's a knife....' as you pull out your
    18in scythe.

    MJ

    MJ@MJ.com Guest

  5. #5

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 14:37:42 +0100, in
    <bfbhrj$dafvv$news.uni-berlin.de>, "Rachael the Wiccan Rat"
    <com> said:

    It hasn't yet. <touches wood> And if it did, I'd most likely react in
    much the same way you did.

    Which reminds me, I need to take out an insurance policy on my gear.

    Lionel Guest

  6. #6

    In article <bfbhrj$dafvv$news.uni-berlin.de>, "Rachael the
    Wiccan Rat" <com> wrote:

    An armed society is a polite society.
    Steve Guest

  7. #7

    "Rachael the Wiccan Rat" <com> wrote in message
    Coolpix
    stolen
    the
    popular

    A pickpocket got my camera at a crowded street fair in Paris. I was upset,
    of course, but there was nothing to do. There were no police in sight. It
    was the last day of the trip, and I didn't see any point in wasting it by
    finding a police station and making a complaint.

    Fortunately, I had just the day before filled a memory card, and replaced
    it, so I had most of the photos. My homeowner insurance covers thefts, but
    it had a deductable so large that I only got $100 from the insurance company
    for a camera that cost $600.

    It can be dangerous to argue with a thief. You were lucky this time.

    Marvin Guest

  9. #9

    On 7/19/03 2:09 PM, in article 168.0.100,
    "Steve Wilbur" <com> wrote:

    > An armed society is a polite society.[/ref]
    INDEED!
    See my response above to: Re: Any one do a mini-few-sec digital handheld
    videocam for re-attack after violent road rage attack?

    George Guest

  10. #10

    In Vancouver for a marathon, wife had a brand new Nikon.
    It was stolan/pickpocekted. Had bought it the day before
    with an American Express card, got a new one.

    Now wife carries it with lanyard around her neck

    LES UNGERLEIDER

    Bill Crocker wrote: [/ref]
    me [/ref]
    quality [/ref]
    I [/ref]
    my [/ref]
    I [/ref]
    carried [/ref]

    LesU Guest

  11. #11

    I am not completely sure that he wanted to steal your camera. It looks like
    he was more likely trying to play with your head, and get you frightened.
    There are plenty of a**holes walking around. Of course there was still a
    chance that he might have wanted to take your camera. Walking around
    the streets, many of these characters will say you dropped something
    when you didn't, or they might tell a guy his fly is open when it isn't.

    Rachael the Wiccan Rat wrote:

    JK Guest

  12. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Mike Guest
    Moderated Post

  13. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Paul Guest
    Moderated Post

  14. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    james Guest
    Moderated Post

  15. #15

    On 20/7/03 12:40 am, "james" <net> wrote:

    Surely in Texas he'd have been shot?

    Pat
    --
    Photos at:
    http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowGallery.cfm?Format=Cell&AcctID=1251

    Pat Guest

  16. #16

    On 7/19/03 6:48 PM, in article BB3F975A.370B8%com, "Pat Chaney"
    <com> wrote:

    > Surely in Texas he'd have been shot?
    >

    > Pat[/ref]
    Firing squad

    George Guest

  17. #17

    Pat Chaney wrote:

    > Surely in Texas he'd have been shot?
    >

    > Pat[/ref]

    Here in Pennsylvania, the Smith & Wesson is more often in the hands of the
    criminal, not the victim -- see
    http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/070103_nw_scootermurder.html.

    Jay

    Jay Guest

  18. #18

    "Marvin Margoshes" <net> wrote in message

    > A pickpocket got my camera at a crowded street fair in Paris. I was[/ref]
    upset,
    It
    but
    company

    That's a bummer, for sure.

    I've done it before - I am quite handy in a few forms of martial art, so I
    wasn't worried. I probably could put out his eyes had I meant to.

    Just ask the lad who tried to mug me after seeing me come out of the post
    office with what he assumed would be alot of money -- I think I left him
    with *some* of his nose un-broken, but I can't be sure as there seemed to be
    a great deal of blood from it as he ran off clutching nothing but his nose,
    heheheheh.

    Rachael

    Rachael Guest

  19. #19

    "Bill Crocker" <net> wrote in message
    As has been suggested by a couple of people here - but not an option as the
    UK is alittle more uptight about guns than other countries.

    I quite like the slogan sticker idea though - where can I get some of those
    over here I wonder ?

    Rachael

    Rachael Guest

  20. Moderated Post