Professional Web Applications Themes

Can a hardware "switch" do this? - Mac Networking

I have a question about hardware "switches" later in this post. - - - Some Background as to What I Want To Do - - - Timbuktu for Panther is a fine remote control application, no doubt about it, but I am greedy and want more features than any of today's RC app's are capable of providing. I recently tried to "control" my Pismo powerbook from my old Lombard powerbook, via an Ethernet cable between the two computers. My old Lombard powerbook is running OS 8.6, and the TB2 app' in it is version 6.0.3 My somewhat newer Pismo powerbook ...

  1. #1

    Default Can a hardware "switch" do this?

    I have a question about hardware "switches" later in this post.

    - - - Some Background as to What I Want To Do - - -

    Timbuktu for Panther is a fine remote control application, no doubt
    about it, but I am greedy and want more features than any of today's
    RC app's are capable of providing.

    I recently tried to "control" my Pismo powerbook from my old Lombard
    powerbook, via an Ethernet cable between the two computers.

    My old Lombard powerbook is running OS 8.6, and the TB2 app' in it is
    version 6.0.3

    My somewhat newer Pismo powerbook is running OS 10.3.2 and the TB2 app'
    in it is the latest version 7.0

    Anyhow, I could control a lot of things directly from the old Lombard
    powerbook, the one running OS 8.6 - - - I could remotely launch and
    intimately control most of the OS X applications on my newer Pismo
    powerbook, as if I was sitting right at the keyboard of that machine.

    I could even log in and out as different users, restart the Pismo and
    still maintain control over it, use "fast user switching", and do many
    other things, all remotely directed from my old Lombard powerbook.

    If I wanted to, I could do all this remote-controlling of an OSX
    computer from a Wintel box, I would not even need to use a Mac
    computer.

    All well and good, but there are a few more things that I wish were
    possible.

    One thing is not possible, according to Netopia, the creators of
    Timbuktu. I can't get the "controlled" Pismo to connect to the
    Internet while I am controlling it via an Ethernet cable connection.

    As soon as I remotely set up the Pismo to connect to the Internet, it
    breaks the Ethernet-cable connection and I lose control.

    I imagine the same thing would happen if I were controlling via an
    Airport connection.

    I thought a hardware device called a "switch" might get around this
    problem, but when I suggested that approach to the Netopia tech' he
    said no.

    Does anyone care to comment about whether the tech' was correct?

    Thanks for any opinions on the subject.

    Mark-
    Mark Guest

  2. Moderated Post

    Default Re: Can a hardware "switch" do this?

    Removed by Administrator
    Matthew Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. #3

    In article <adelaide.on.net>,
    Matthew Smith <com> wrote:

    > A switch won't help you. A switch allows you to connect multiple
    > ethernet devices into one network.[/ref]

    Aha, thanks, then the Netopia tech' was correct.

    That is correct, I forgot to mention I am using dialup.

    I have an Airport base station with included modem, but I am having
    difficulty understanding how that would work.

    Wouldn't I have to select Airport on both computers.

    ....and if Airport is selected, doesn't that prevent me from using the
    modem in the base station?

    I just recently bought the base station, so forgive my ignorance about
    its capabilities.

    By golly, if I can use Airport _and_ the built-in Airport modem
    simultaneously, that would definitely solve the problem.

    Thanks, I better study the doentation that came with Airport to
    figure out how it works.

    Mark-
    Mark Guest

  4. #4

    In article <140220040910076108%com>,
    Mark Conrad <com> wrote:

    No. The modem in the base station connects to the internet, and the
    computers connect to the internet and to each other through the base
    station. The base station handles the dialing and the PPoE stuff; the
    computers know only that they are connected via airport.

    -- Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  5. #5

    In article <west.cox.net>, Michelle
    Steiner <org> wrote:

    > No. The modem in the base station connects to the internet, and the
    > computers connect to the internet and to each other through the base
    > station. The base station handles the dialing and the PPoE stuff; the
    > computers know only that they are connected via airport.[/ref]

    Hokay, thanks everyone, I will try the suggestions offered and see what
    results.

    I am just trying to familiarize myself with various ways of using the
    remote-control program "Timbuktu" in various network configurations.

    I have no practical reasons for doing this stuff, just playing around
    at the present time, learning what I can and can't get by with doing.

    Mark-
    Mark Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Matthew Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    In article <adelaide.on.net>,
    Matthew Smith <com> wrote:

    I have a similar setup but I have my 1-port DSL router (ZyXEL Prestige
    645R) connected to the WAN port of the base station. Is this the correct
    setup?

    Anyway, I can make a Timbuktu 6.0.3 connection between the 8600 running
    10.2.8 and 15" AlBook running 10.3. The 8600 is connected to the LAN
    port of the base station and the PB connects via AirPort.

    Airport Base Station has a modem but I haven't yet tried to connect to
    the Internet via it, nor have I tried to do this while running Mac OS
    9.1 on the 8600.

    --
    Matti Haveri <mattiDOThaveriATsjokiDOTutaeiroskaaDOTfi> remove ei roskaa
    Matti Guest

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Matthew Guest