Professional Web Applications Themes

Can a reader enabled form do this ... ? - Adobe Acrobat SDK

I have a flowable Dynamic PDF form that pre-populates form fields based on a schema , etc. It was designed using Live Cycle Designer 8.2 and Acrobat 9.0 . When I am using it with Acrobat - I usually go to <Forms> ... <Import Data> and select the file that I need to load using the file browser dialogue - Can a Reader enabled form - also do this -??????? Can you recommend a good close alternative to this capability if tit is not available in Reader 9.0 ? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Can a reader enabled form do this ... ?

    smde@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can a reader enabled form do this ... ?

    When you apply forms rights to the PDF form you can use Adobe Reader 9. You can apply forms rights with the server product 'Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions':
    <http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/readerextensions/>
    Bernd Alheit Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the information . I will investigate this offering but - Does the reader have any way - either using Javascript or a plug-in to pre-populate a PDF form ?

    The purchase cycle here for new softrware is long... very long... I am hoping that there is something already available in the Reader - if it requires a little development time no problem.
    smde@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I think I figured out what i need to do ....

    Since I simply want to be able to view data using the reader, I will write an acrobat 9.0 plug-in then process all of the data up front - and store / save them all out as PDF files in a repository - and then the reader can read all day long - and my problem is solved - Since the data is static - this is a nice solution -
    smde@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Since I simply want to be able to view data using the reader, I will write
    an acrobat 9.0 plug-in then process all of the data up front - and store
    / save them all out as PDF files in a repository - and then the reader
    can read all day long - and my problem is solved - Since the data is static
    - this is a nice solution -

    Has this been approved by the Adobe Reader Integration team? This sounds like emulating functionality available in Acrobat / LiveCycle, which is usually denied for plug-in requests.
    PDL@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    This data save will be done using Acrobat - on a local system -
    and then later when data entry people need access to the data it will be read using Reader. This really shouldn't be any sort of problem - nothing is done on a server.
    smde@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    It's not about server use. Have you read the information on creating plug-ins for Adobe Reader?

    There is a process you need to go through, called the RIKLA process ("Reader Integration Key Licensing Agreement"). Reader will not load plug-ins unless they have a specific certificate embedded in them, and Adobe will not give you this certificate until you have had your plug-in reviewed by their RIKLA team. There is also a cost involved, based on how your plug-in will be used.

    It is *highly* recommended you initiate the RIKLA process before doing any development as they have very strict guidelines on what they will and won't approve for a RIKLA key. Make sure you get everything approved by them before wasting time developing something they may turn down.
    PDL@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    A plug-in for Adobe Acrobat doesn't require a Reader Integration Key License.
    Bernd Alheit Guest

  9. #9

    Ah, I mis-read his post - I thought he was developing a plug-in for Reader.
    PDL@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    :) - this will be a combined solution - using the strengths and capabilities of Acrobat - Live Cycle Desinger 8.2 and The ever popular reader.
    smde@adobeforums.com Guest