Professional Web Applications Themes

Can Alpha Channels be aligned relative to the canvass? - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

I am trying to automate the addition of an alpha channel (e.g., a text mask) to multiple images, but images will vary in dimensions. I would like to include alignment in the action so that once the text mask/alpha channel is created, the text mask appears in a relative location (e.g, lower right hand corner) of each image. I can't figure a way to align a selection to a selection - which makes sense, but is there a way, no matter how convoluted, to end up with a text mask always relatively positioned? The only thing I've thought of is ...

  1. #1

    Default Can Alpha Channels be aligned relative to the canvass?

    I am trying to automate the addition of an alpha channel (e.g., a text mask) to multiple images, but images will vary in dimensions. I would like to include alignment in the action so that once the text mask/alpha channel is created, the text mask appears in a relative location (e.g, lower right hand corner) of each image.

    I can't figure a way to align a selection to a selection - which makes sense, but is there a way, no matter how convoluted, to end up with a text mask always relatively positioned?

    The only thing I've thought of is to actually create the text layer, align the layer, load that layer transparency, create the alpha channel, and then delete the text layer. Is that the only way?

    Peace,
    Tony
    YrbkMgr Guest

  2. #2

    Yes its not that complicated though — just set it up as an action though once and it will be easy to repeat it each time or to batch the images. You can also create the text on the channel istelf by using the text mask tool.

    You probably already know this but in order to get photoshop to do everything relative to your canvas size - change the doent measurments to percent. This can also be auomated as part of your action.
    Mark Reynolds Guest

  3. #3

    Mark,

    Thanks for the reply. How exactly do you align an alpha channel then? Say, for example, create a text mask, now align it to the lower right hand corner of the image. You can't use Layer|Align to Selection since the alpha channel IS (in essence) a selection. So what do you do?
    YrbkMgr Guest

  4. #4

    Ok heres an action which creates an alpha channel to place text— it will work perfectly every time placing the text in the lower right corner regardless of image dimension. It was a first attempt so I'd be interested to hear if theres a better way

    Action attached here <http://members.aol.com/markzebra/Animated/Alpha-placement-demo.ATN>
    Mark Reynolds Guest

  5. #5

    Mark,

    A better way is what I posted in the original topic. Create the text layer, align it, save it as a selection, delete the text layer. Result = same original layer, no new doc window. Far fewer steps doing it that way too.

    I appreciate the effort, but it remains apparently true that one cannot align an alpha channel/selection relative to the canvas. One must "fudge" it.

    Peace,
    Tony
    YrbkMgr Guest

  6. #6

    Ok I'm not gonna let that pass …

    Your question was "Can Alpha Channels be aligned relative to the canvas(s)?"

    The answer is "yes"

    "I am trying to automate the addition of an alpha channel (e.g., a text mask) to multiple images, but images will vary in dimensions. I would like to include alignment in the action so that once the text mask/alpha channel is created, the text mask appears in a relative location (e.g, lower right hand corner) of each image"

    The answer to both those questions is transparently "yes"

    Of course if your question is "is there a lazy one-click way of aligning selections to the canvas edges" then the answer is "no".
    Mark Reynolds Guest

  7. #7

    of course channels cant be 'aligned' – by their nature all channels (whether
    alpha channels or color channels) occupy the full visible doent area.

    Okay, so your point is, "stupid question".

    I conceed. In any event, thanks for helping. I was not asking for a "lazy" way, as I'm not a lazy person per se. Rather, I wanted to validate my experience and make sure that I wasn't missing something - I'm not. So thanks for helping to validate that.

    Peace,
    Tony
    YrbkMgr Guest

  8. #8