Professional Web Applications Themes

can anyone suggest a product for improving airport reception inmy titanium laptop? - Mac Networking

Hi all - I have one of the earlier titanium laptops, and its wireless reception in a given location is worse than a PC laptop using an Orinoco wireless PCMCIA card. I've read that this is due to poor design of antenna placement inside the metal case of the laptop. Is this true? Do the newer laptops have better reception? And, can anyone recommend any products which would increase my reception? Please cc: replies to [email]mlevin77comcast.net[/email]. Thanks!! Mike Levin...

  1. #1

    Default can anyone suggest a product for improving airport reception inmy titanium laptop?

    Hi all -

    I have one of the earlier titanium laptops, and its wireless reception
    in a given location is worse than a PC laptop using an Orinoco wireless
    PCMCIA card. I've read that this is due to poor design of antenna placement
    inside the metal case of the laptop. Is this true? Do the newer laptops have
    better reception? And, can anyone recommend any products which would
    increase my reception? Please cc: replies to [email]mlevin77comcast.net[/email]. Thanks!!

    Mike Levin

    Mike Levin Guest

  2. #2

    In article <BB2B08EE.1089A%mlevin77comcast.net>,
    Mike Levin <mlevin77comcast.net> wrote:
    > Hi all -
    >
    > I have one of the earlier titanium laptops, and its wireless reception
    > in a given location is worse than a PC laptop using an Orinoco wireless
    > PCMCIA card. I've read that this is due to poor design of antenna placement
    > inside the metal case of the laptop. Is this true? Do the newer laptops have
    > better reception? And, can anyone recommend any products which would
    > increase my reception? Please cc: replies to [email]mlevin77comcast.net[/email]. Thanks!!
    More-recent Powerbooks have better reception; in particular, the 12- and
    17-inch models are much better. I think that more recent 15-inchers are
    also better than older ones, but I'm not sure.

    I recently added an antenna to my base station, and that's helped a lot.
    Even if you don't have one of the 'extreme' base stations, you can get
    an antenna to attach-- it just takes cutting a hole in the side of the
    base station to install. I got one from
    <http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/orinoco/orinoco.php> and have been
    really pleased.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See [url]http://www.atomicbird.com/[/url]

  3. #3

    in article tph-F8D82B.17234804072003localhost, Tom Harrington at
    [email]tphpcisys.no.spam.dammit.net[/email] wrote on 7/4/03 7:23 PM:
    > I recently added an antenna to my base station, and that's helped a lot.
    > Even if you don't have one of the 'extreme' base stations, you can get
    > an antenna to attach-- it just takes cutting a hole in the side of the
    > base station to install. I got one from
    > <http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/orinoco/orinoco.php> and have been
    > really pleased.
    I don't have an Airport base station - I have a Linksys product with two
    antennas. I've even tried replacement antennas which were supposed to be
    better... I may have to wait for a better laptop...

    Mike

    Mike Levin Guest

  4. #4

    In article <BB2B9625.10AD4%mlevin77comcast.net>,
    Mike Levin <mlevin77comcast.net> wrote:
    > in article tph-F8D82B.17234804072003localhost, Tom Harrington at
    > [email]tphpcisys.no.spam.dammit.net[/email] wrote on 7/4/03 7:23 PM:
    >
    > > I recently added an antenna to my base station, and that's helped a lot.
    > > Even if you don't have one of the 'extreme' base stations, you can get
    > > an antenna to attach-- it just takes cutting a hole in the side of the
    > > base station to install. I got one from
    > > <http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/orinoco/orinoco.php> and have been
    > > really pleased.
    >
    > I don't have an Airport base station - I have a Linksys product with two
    > antennas. I've even tried replacement antennas which were supposed to be
    > better... I may have to wait for a better laptop...
    There are a couple of options for the TiBook itself at
    <http://www.technowarehousellc.com/technowarehouse/quanfortiorp.html>.
    I recently saw someone using the "whip" antenna that attaches to the top
    of the TiBook's display. They said it worked really well, but it has a
    small cable that runs down and enters the TiBook through the card slot
    on the left. However the manufaturer's web site ([url]www.quickertek.com[/url])
    seems to have gone offline, so depending on your perspective you might
    want to either buy quickly while they're still available, or avoid them
    like the plague.

  5. #5

    in article [email]jrp59-054997.09243709072003news.bellatlantic.net[/email], Ron Parsons at
    [email]jrp59gte.net[/email] wrote on 7/9/03 10:24 AM:
    > In article <BB2B08EE.1089A%mlevin77comcast.net>,
    > Mike Levin <mlevin77comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all -
    >>
    >> I have one of the earlier titanium laptops, and its wireless reception
    >> in a given location is worse than a PC laptop using an Orinoco wireless
    >> PCMCIA card. I've read that this is due to poor design of antenna placement
    >> inside the metal case of the laptop. Is this true? Do the newer laptops have
    >> better reception? And, can anyone recommend any products which would
    >> increase my reception? Please cc: replies to [email]mlevin77comcast.net[/email]. Thanks!!
    >>
    >> Mike Levin
    >>

    > My favorite chair was an almost dead spot for my Pismo until I placed a
    > cookie sheet vertically behind the Airport Base Station to reflect the
    > signal towards the chair.
    Just a cookie sheet? No shaping into parabolas etc.? I tried to make a
    reflector based on some instructions I found on-line recently, and it didn't
    help...

    Mike Levin Guest

  6. #6

    In article <BB32DB05.11031%mlevin77comcast.net>,
    Mike Levin <mlevin77comcast.net> wrote:
    >in article [email]jrp59-054997.09243709072003news.bellatlantic.net[/email], Ron Parsons at
    >jrp59gte.net wrote on 7/9/03 10:24 AM:
    >
    >> In article <BB2B08EE.1089A%mlevin77comcast.net>,
    >> Mike Levin <mlevin77comcast.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all -
    >>>
    >>> I have one of the earlier titanium laptops, and its wireless reception
    >>> in a given location is worse than a PC laptop using an Orinoco wireless
    >>> PCMCIA card. I've read that this is due to poor design of antenna placement
    >>> inside the metal case of the laptop. Is this true? Do the newer laptops have
    >>> better reception? And, can anyone recommend any products which would
    >>> increase my reception? Please cc: replies to [email]mlevin77comcast.net[/email]. Thanks!!
    >>>
    >>> Mike Levin
    >>>

    >> My favorite chair was an almost dead spot for my Pismo until I placed a
    >> cookie sheet vertically behind the Airport Base Station to reflect the
    >> signal towards the chair.
    >
    >Just a cookie sheet? No shaping into parabolas etc.? I tried to make a
    >reflector based on some instructions I found on-line recently, and it didn't
    >help...

    Yep, just a flat cookie sheet. You never can tell when it might be
    needed in the oven, you know.

    --
    Ron
    Ron Parsons Guest

  7. #7

    Place the router as high in your house as possible. I place mine centrally
    on the second floor, and it helps with spots "shielded" by a big fridge and
    noisy AV gear.

    I also ended up using a Netgear signal booster with my Netgear AP.

    BTW, I got the Netgear upstairs without extra wiring by getting a second
    Netgear AP and using it as a bridge from downstairs. The upstairs AP is able
    to work in a dual mode - both as second part of the bridge and AP.

    Rebroadcasting the packets seems to have little or no impact on actual
    throughput.

    -- Harald
    > In article <BB2B08EE.1089A%mlevin77comcast.net>,
    > Mike Levin <mlevin77comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all -
    >>
    >> I have one of the earlier titanium laptops, and its wireless reception
    >> in a given location is worse than a PC laptop using an Orinoco wireless
    >> PCMCIA card. I've read that this is due to poor design of antenna placement
    >> inside the metal case of the laptop. Is this true? Do the newer laptops have
    >> better reception? And, can anyone recommend any products which would
    >> increase my reception? Please cc: replies to [email]mlevin77comcast.net[/email]. Thanks!!
    >>
    >> Mike Levin
    Harald Striepe Guest

  8. #8

    Harald Striepe <haraldwindholm.com> wrote:
    > Place the router as high in your house as possible. I place mine centrally
    > on the second floor, and it helps with spots "shielded" by a big fridge and
    > noisy AV gear.

    You might also want to check out this tip - it helped me tremendously:

    [url]http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=8300945[/url]
    231&m=3480972435

    -e
    egilDOTnet Guest

  9. #9

    Which Netgear product do you have? I tried this with a Linksys BEFWS11 and
    it can't do it...

    Mike

    in article BB3599D5.FEE8%haraldwindholm.com, Harald Striepe at
    [email]haraldwindholm.com[/email] wrote on 7/12/03 1:56 PM:
    > Place the router as high in your house as possible. I place mine centrally
    > on the second floor, and it helps with spots "shielded" by a big fridge and
    > noisy AV gear.
    >
    > I also ended up using a Netgear signal booster with my Netgear AP.
    >
    > BTW, I got the Netgear upstairs without extra wiring by getting a second
    > Netgear AP and using it as a bridge from downstairs. The upstairs AP is able
    > to work in a dual mode - both as second part of the bridge and AP.
    >
    > Rebroadcasting the packets seems to have little or no impact on actual
    > throughput.
    >
    > -- Harald
    >
    >> In article <BB2B08EE.1089A%mlevin77comcast.net>,
    >> Mike Levin <mlevin77comcast.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all -
    >>>
    >>> I have one of the earlier titanium laptops, and its wireless reception
    >>> in a given location is worse than a PC laptop using an Orinoco wireless
    >>> PCMCIA card. I've read that this is due to poor design of antenna placement
    >>> inside the metal case of the laptop. Is this true? Do the newer laptops have
    >>> better reception? And, can anyone recommend any products which would
    >>> increase my reception? Please cc: replies to [email]mlevin77comcast.net[/email]. Thanks!!
    >>>
    >>> Mike Levin

    Mike Levin Guest