Professional Web Applications Themes

Can anyone suggest back-up software? - Mac Portable

In article <hjVUa.261$Cx4.96349news20.bellglobal.com>, "Rick Blythin" <mosguygosympatico.ca> wrote: > Hey all, > > I have started my own I.T company earlier this year I plan to purchase a > Powerbook to replace my current PC laptop. One of my services will be > back-ups. I came across the following software: > [url]https://www.intego.com/personalbackup/home.html[/url] which I think is probably > very good for Mac. > > My problem is I need something that will run on Mac (Jaguar) but ideally > support networking (although not critical), also to be able to read and see > Windows boxes (FAT&NTFS format) as all my current ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Can anyone suggest back-up software?

    In article <hjVUa.261$Cx4.96349news20.bellglobal.com>,
    "Rick Blythin" <mosguygosympatico.ca> wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I have started my own I.T company earlier this year I plan to purchase a
    > Powerbook to replace my current PC laptop. One of my services will be
    > back-ups. I came across the following software:
    > [url]https://www.intego.com/personalbackup/home.html[/url] which I think is probably
    > very good for Mac.
    >
    > My problem is I need something that will run on Mac (Jaguar) but ideally
    > support networking (although not critical), also to be able to read and see
    > Windows boxes (FAT&NTFS format) as all my current clients run various
    > windows versions.
    >
    > Does anyone know of software with these features?.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Rick
    Retrospect from <dantz.com>

    You can back up to almost any type of media (a disk file, a CD, a DVD, a
    tape drive).

    You can use a system as a backup server to backup client Macs or PCs via
    a Retrospect network client.

    Retrospect is well established backup software and very well respected.
    It is also easy to use.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Harris Guest

  2. #2

    "Bob Harris" <harriszk3.dec.com> wrote in message
    > In article <hjVUa.261$Cx4.96349news20.bellglobal.com>,
    > "Rick Blythin" <mosguygosympatico.ca> wrote:
    >
    > > Hey all,
    > >
    > > I have started my own I.T company earlier this year I plan to purchase a
    > > Powerbook to replace my current PC laptop. One of my services will be
    > > back-ups. I came across the following software:
    > > [url]https://www.intego.com/personalbackup/home.html[/url] which I think is
    probably
    > > very good for Mac.
    > >
    > > My problem is I need something that will run on Mac (Jaguar) but ideally
    > > support networking (although not critical), also to be able to read and
    see
    > > Windows boxes (FAT&NTFS format) as all my current clients run various
    > > windows versions.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of software with these features?.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > Rick
    >
    > Retrospect from <dantz.com>
    >
    > You can back up to almost any type of media (a disk file, a CD, a DVD, a
    > tape drive).
    >
    > You can use a system as a backup server to backup client Macs or PCs via
    > a Retrospect network client.
    >
    > Retrospect is well established backup software and very well respected.
    > It is also easy to use.
    >
    > Bob Harris
    Thanks for the info. I checked out the site looks like it's exactly what I'm
    looking for.

    Rick

    Rick Blythin Guest

  3. #3

    In article <harris-C4C29B.19432927072003juggl7.zk3.dec.com>,
    Bob Harris <harriszk3.dec.com> wrote:

    > Retrospect is well established backup software and very well respected.
    > It is also easy to use.

    Agree fully with first sentence. Second is more debatable -- "It is
    also easy to use, AFTER a fairly steep initial learning curve" might be
    more like it.
    AES/newspost Guest

  4. #4

    I've just got a copy of Retrospec express and a LaCie 120GB hard
    drive and the damn software wont write to it - it's a mounted drive
    shared across a network, sitting on a G4 tower. Mac OS X complains
    with e -5000 error (no permission to access the drive). The
    permissions on the drive are read and write by all! Tried just
    about everything!

    Any advice - or is it just a lost cause?

    david

    On 28/7/03 3:30 am, in article
    [email]siegman-496EE3.19300627072003news.stanford.edu[/email], "AES/newspost"
    <siegmanstanford.edu> wrote:
    > In article <harris-C4C29B.19432927072003juggl7.zk3.dec.com>,
    > Bob Harris <harriszk3.dec.com> wrote:
    >

    >> Retrospect is well established backup software and very well respected.
    >> It is also easy to use.
    >>

    > Agree fully with first sentence. Second is more debatable -- "It is
    > also easy to use, AFTER a fairly steep initial learning curve" might be
    > more like it.
    david scholefield Guest

  5. #5

    Hi David,

    One more thing from Dantz's web site:
    > Auto-mounting with Retrospect 5.0 for Macintosh
    > Due to permission issues with Retrospect 5.0 and later under Mac OS X,
    > Retrospect must auto-mount a network volume before the backup operation
    > begins. To have Retrospect automatically mount an AppleShare volume on
    > your Mac OS X desktop for a scripted backup:
    >
    > * Mount the AppleShare volume on your desktop using your login
    > * In Retrospect go to Configure>Volumes and highlight the mounted
    > volume
    > * From the Volumes menu choose Configure (Command-J)
    > * Provide Retrospect with the password to connect to the AppleShare
    > volume
    > * Unmount the AppleShare volume in Finder
    > * Include the AppleShare volume in your backup script
    >
    > When Retrospect needs to access the volume, Retrospect will mount the
    > AppleShare volume on the desktop, access it, and then unmount it when
    > the execution has completed.
    >
    > Note: When Retrospect has mounted the volume, you will not be able to
    > see the volume's contents from the Finder.
    >
    > If you back up a mounted AppleShare volume, privileges are not
    > preserved and cannot be restored. The only way to back up and restore
    > privileges from a volume over a network is to back up the computer
    > using Retrospect Client Software.

    --g
    Gordon Tillman Guest

  6. #6

    In article <BB4B13BB.2DC6%davidpsychotrap.com>,
    david scholefield <davidpsychotrap.com> wrote:

    > I've just got a copy of Retrospec express and a LaCie 120GB hard
    > drive and the damn software wont write to it - it's a mounted drive
    > shared across a network, sitting on a G4 tower. Mac OS X complains
    > with e -5000 error (no permission to access the drive). The
    > permissions on the drive are read and write by all! Tried just
    > about everything!
    >
    > Any advice - or is it just a lost cause?
    >
    > david
    I don't see Retrospect Express as a current product on the Dantz site.

    I once mistakenly bought a copy of Express a few years ago thinking I
    could back up to a hard disk, but I hadn't read the fine print. It was
    not made to do so -- at that time it took the full-n Retrospect to
    accomplish this.

    --
    Rod Smith
    Florida Panhandle

  7. #7

    In article <hjVUa.261$Cx4.96349news20.bellglobal.com>, Rick Blythin
    <mosguygosympatico.ca> wrote:
    > I have started my own I.T company earlier this year I plan to purchase a
    > Powerbook to replace my current PC laptop. One of my services will be
    > back-ups. I came across the following software:
    > [url]https://www.intego.com/personalbackup/home.html[/url] which I think is probably
    > very good for Mac.
    >
    > My problem is I need something that will run on Mac (Jaguar) but ideally
    > support networking (although not critical), also to be able to read and see
    > Windows boxes (FAT&NTFS format) as all my current clients run various
    > windows versions.
    >
    > Does anyone know of software with these features?
    Dantz Retrospect.
    Zeph Guest