Professional Web Applications Themes

Can `ar' maintain those libraries compiled by gcc? - UNIX Programming

I'm porting some software in C and C++ form cc in SunOS to gcc series compilers. The former libraries are maintained by ar. I wonder if there are some utilities like ar to maintain libraries compiled by gcc, or ar is enough to maintain the libraries created by gcc? Would anyone tell me the answer? Thanks. -- Steven Ding...

  1. #1

    Default Can `ar' maintain those libraries compiled by gcc?

    --
    Steven Ding
    Steven Guest

  3. #3

    Steven <com> writes:

    On Solaris "ar" is not capable of doing "C++" archive libraries;
    except when you stay away from templates, I think.

    Solaris "ar" is certainly capable of maintaining archives for gcc.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.
    Casper Guest

  5. #5

    Casper H.S. Dik wrote:

    > On Solaris "ar" is not capable of doing "C++" archive libraries;
    > except when you stay away from templates, I think.
    >
    > Solaris "ar" is certainly capable of maintaining archives for gcc.
    >
    > Casper[/ref]
    However, if I want to create a C++ library archieve which is compiled
    with g++, what should I use on SunOS? Or where can I find the doents
    on this?

    Thanks.
    --
    Steven Ding
    Steven Guest

  6. #6

    * Steven <com>
    | I wonder if there are some utilities like ar to maintain libraries
    | compiled by gcc, or ar is enough to maintain the libraries created
    | by gcc?

    You can use `ar' to produce static libraries, regardless of the
    compiler.

    Note however that you usually can't mix C++ object files produced by
    different compilers. So all of your C++-Code needs to be compiled by
    either CC _or_ gcc, not a mix of both.

    HTH
    R'
    Ralf Guest

  7. #7

    I think "ar" is fine.

  8. #8

    Ralf Fassel <de> writes:

    Doesn't work correctly for Sun's C++ compiler; it likes you to use
    "CC -xar".