Professional Web Applications Themes

Can ASP & ASP.NET Apps Be Hosted in Same Site? - ASP.NET General

Hello Steve, In theory this should work, as they are both implemented in different binaries and register different extensions with IIS. I also don't know of any specific problems that people have had. Here is some conversations on asp and asp.net in MSDN: Q: Could you comment on interoperability (via Session Objects, Query Strings, etc.) between ASP and ASP.NET? Any gotchas? Mark Anders: There are a few. First, we've made the object models as close as possible. However, if for example you store COM objects (not new CLR objects) in sessions, and you want those to be out of proc, ...

  1. #1

    Default RE: Can ASP & ASP.NET Apps Be Hosted in Same Site?

    Hello Steve,

    In theory this should work, as they are both implemented in different
    binaries and register different extensions with IIS. I also don't know of
    any specific problems that people have had.

    Here is some conversations on asp and asp.net in MSDN:

    Q: Could you comment on interoperability (via Session Objects, Query
    Strings, etc.) between ASP and ASP.NET? Any gotchas?

    Mark Anders: There are a few. First, we've made the object models as close
    as possible. However, if for example you store COM objects (not new CLR
    objects) in sessions, and you want those to be out of proc, they won't
    work. You need to have new objects that can be serialized. One thing to
    note is that ASP and ASP.NET will run side by side on a box, because at an
    application level ASP and ASP.NET do not share sessions.

    Q: I've seen a lot of concern that data can be passed page to page (ASP to
    and from ASP.NET).

    Mark Anders: Since we really use standard Web techniques, passing info page
    to page should not be a problem. However, page to page in ASP and ASP.NET
    typically assumes services that are provided by each, such as session and
    application state. These services are not shared, and so you can't rely on
    them.

    Scott Guthrie: I have a list of things you can do to ease migration of ASP
    code to ASP.NET.

    1) Use only a single language within the ASP application. Don't intermix
    VBScript and JScript together in the same page (in general a bad
    programming practice with ASP, but also a migration issue for ASP.NET in
    that we now require only one inline <% %> language.

    2) Explicitly declare all of ASP page functions within a <script
    language="VBScript" runat=server> block as opposed to <% %> blocks. In
    ASP.NET we no longer support this later function declaration option. It is
    just a copy/paste change in order to fix I

    3) Explicitly use VBScript's "Option Explicit" keyword at the top of every
    ASP Page (this will become the default with ASP.NET and will also ensure
    that you write slightly better code today).

    4) Use the "Call" keyword anytime they call a subroutine in VBScript today
    (for example: "Call FooBar (1, 2)"). This will enable/require them to wrap
    parenthesis around all subroutine arguments (if you don't use the "call"
    keyword, then VBScript today will raise a compilation error if you have
    parentheses). In VB.NET, parentheses are now required (note that the "call"
    keyword is still supported in VB.NET). So if they didn't use the "call"
    keyword, they'd have to go back and change all subroutines.

    5) Avoid relying on "default properties" in VBScript, and instead fully
    qualify property references: (For example, with an ADO Recordset write:
    rs("a_name").Value instead of just rs("a_name")). Default properties are no
    longer supported in VB.NET.

    6) Avoid using "render function" tricks (a specific unintended hack/trick
    that people can use in ASP but which was never intended as a feature).
    Instead explicitly use Response. Write blocks when constructing render
    functions.

    Hope it helps.

    Best regards,
    yhhuang
    VS.NET, Visual C++
    Microsoft

    Got .Net? [url]http://www.gotdotnet.com[/url]
    --------------------
    !From: "Steve" <stevenospam.com>
    !Sender: "Steve" <stevenospam.com>
    !Subject: Can ASP & ASP.NET Apps Be Hosted in Same Site?
    !Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:28:14 -0700
    !Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    !
    !I have mixed ASP.NET and classic ASP apps environment,
    !ASP.NET needs to invoke classic ASP. I had problems to put
    !these two apps in the same site(or vir-dir). It seems
    !that IIS gets confused by the co-existing global.asa and
    !global.asax. If I removed global.aspx but left global.asa
    !with Web.config in the root, used only .aspx (no code-
    !behind) and eliminated /bin folder. It would work just
    !fine. I can type both .asp and .aspx in the browser and
    !IIS rendered properly. But the ASP.NET features can not
    !be fully utilized.
    !
    !Can anyone point out if both ASP.NET and classic ASP apps
    !can be hosted in the SAME site without interfering the
    !other, and how to do it properly. It would be nicer if
    !there are some links to a walk-thru or articles. Thank
    !you very much.
    !

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT] Guest

  2. #2

    We have asp and asp.net running on the same site without any problems. But
    the asp.net stuff is in it's own subdirectory.

    "Steve" <stevenospam.com> wrote in message
    > I have mixed ASP.NET and classic ASP apps environment,
    > ASP.NET needs to invoke classic ASP. I had problems to put
    > these two apps in the same site(or vir-dir). It seems
    > that IIS gets confused by the co-existing global.asa and
    > global.asax. If I removed global.aspx but left global.asa
    > with Web.config in the root, used only .aspx (no code-
    > behind) and eliminated /bin folder. It would work just
    > fine. I can type both .asp and .aspx in the browser and
    > IIS rendered properly. But the ASP.NET features can not
    > be fully utilized.
    >
    > Can anyone point out if both ASP.NET and classic ASP apps
    > can be hosted in the SAME site without interfering the
    > other, and how to do it properly. It would be nicer if
    > there are some links to a walk-thru or articles. Thank
    > you very much.

    Guest

  3. #3

    What behavior are you seeing that makes you think that "IIS gets confused by
    the co-existing global.asa and global.asax"?

    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft FrontPage MVP
    Internet Developer
    [url]http://www.takempis.com[/url]
    Big things are made up of
    lots of Little things.

    "Steve" <stevenospam.com> wrote in message
    > I have mixed ASP.NET and classic ASP apps environment,
    > ASP.NET needs to invoke classic ASP. I had problems to put
    > these two apps in the same site(or vir-dir). It seems
    > that IIS gets confused by the co-existing global.asa and
    > global.asax. If I removed global.aspx but left global.asa
    > with Web.config in the root, used only .aspx (no code-
    > behind) and eliminated /bin folder. It would work just
    > fine. I can type both .asp and .aspx in the browser and
    > IIS rendered properly. But the ASP.NET features can not
    > be fully utilized.
    >
    > Can anyone point out if both ASP.NET and classic ASP apps
    > can be hosted in the SAME site without interfering the
    > other, and how to do it properly. It would be nicer if
    > there are some links to a walk-thru or articles. Thank
    > you very much.

    Kevin Spencer Guest

  4. #4

    Default Can ASP & ASP.NET Apps Be Hosted in Same Site?

    THANK YOU ALL, IT IS WORKING!
    Classic ASP and ASP.NET can run side by side under ONE SITE
    (i.e. same IP Address).

    steve Guest