Professional Web Applications Themes

Can Contribute......? - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

Hi all, Sorry for the very very very newbie question, but I've only just downloaded the trial version of Contribute and I can't find the answers to my questions so thought I would throw them open to the world. More and more the company I work for (designing web sites for automotive dealers), are being asked to offer a certain amount to content control to our clients, EG special offer pages etc. So my questions are these: Can you lock down the actual page elements clients are able to edit, and the actual pages they can edit? If so, how? ...

  1. #1

    Default Can Contribute......?

    Hi all,

    Sorry for the very very very newbie question, but I've only just downloaded
    the trial version of Contribute and I can't find the answers to my questions
    so thought I would throw them open to the world.

    More and more the company I work for (designing web sites for automotive
    dealers), are being asked to offer a certain amount to content control to
    our clients, EG special offer pages etc.

    So my questions are these:

    Can you lock down the actual page elements clients are able to edit, and the
    actual pages they can edit?
    If so, how?

    Can you create and distribute custom page templates?

    Can Contribute be customised and distributed in a "pre-configured" manner?
    EG. Have all the necessary connection and user rights information setup?

    Sorry again for the stupid questions. Only just started looking at this but
    suspect it might be the answer to my prays.

    Cheers,

    ndyB

    @ndyB Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can Contribute......?

    > Can you lock down the actual page elements clients are able to edit, and the
    > actual pages they can edit?
    > If so, how?
    yes- using dreamweaver Templates and defining Editable Regions

    > Can you create and distribute custom page templates?
    Yes. The Templates have to be uploaded to the templates folder of the remote
    site.

    > Can Contribute be customised and distributed in a "pre-configured" manner?
    > EG. Have all the necessary connection and user rights information setup?
    Not as part of the install, unless you want to play with modifying the
    installer.

    But you can create a "connection key" which is a small file that will open
    in Contribute when double-clicked and will set up the connection and details
    for this site/user. Another advantage- The connection key has the ftp
    user/pass in an encrypted form. So they can't extract them- their only
    access is through contribute and whatever permissions/rights to edit you
    have granted them as a user in Contribute.

    Alan Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the info Alan.

    ndyB

    news:BE813BAB.2064A7%dont_mail_me_periodmacromedi a.com...