Professional Web Applications Themes

Can firewire drive be connected to two computers simultaneously? - Mac Applications & Software

I just bought an external firewire drive and have connected it to my eMac. I'd like to be able to access the drive from my iBook at the same time. The drive has a second firewire port that can be used for daisy-chaining other drives. Is it safe for me to connect that port to my iBook? Thanks... -- ca...

  1. #1

    Default Can firewire drive be connected to two computers simultaneously?

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  2. #2

    dotlyc wrote:
    Probably not but if you network your Macs (crossover Ethernet cable),
    then all you have to do is share the drive.

    Jacky Guest

  3. #3

    In article <xI39b.259$bellglobal.com>, dotlyc
    <ca> wrote:

    No it isn't safe - it may work erratically - but eventually you'll lose
    data.

    The above issue has come up a few times on the Apple FireWire Device
    List and Apple engineers have stated that it is not recommended at all.
    It may work for reading data, but will not work at all if one or more
    of them start writing to it.

    HTH..

    Milton Aupperle
    www.outcastsoft.com
    Milton Guest

  4. #4

    In article <3f64cc8c$0$20641$free.fr>,
    Jacky <preem.palver+org> wrote:

    > Probably not but if you network your Macs (crossover Ethernet cable),
    > then all you have to do is share the drive.
    >[/ref]

    Or you can network them over FireWire.

    <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17262>

    Gregory Guest

  5. #5

    In article <3f64cc8c$0$20641$free.fr>,
    Jacky <preem.palver+org> wrote:

    > Probably not but if you network your Macs (crossover Ethernet cable),
    > then all you have to do is share the drive.
    >[/ref]

    I already have the two computers networked by ethernet so this is
    probably the best solution for me. However, I tried to access the
    firewire drive using the same procedure that I used to connect the
    computers and I couldn't see it on the network.
    Can you give me a few more details on how to do this, or point me
    in the direction of instructions on the web?
    Thanks

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  6. #6

    In article <attbi.com>,
    Gregory Weston <com> wrote:

    > > Probably not but if you network your Macs (crossover Ethernet cable),
    > > then all you have to do is share the drive.
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > Or you can network them over FireWire.
    >
    > <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17262>[/ref]

    I checked this out, but it said that only Apple Developers could
    download the file.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  7. #7

    In article <Dj69b.351$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    > > Probably not but if you network your Macs (crossover Ethernet cable),
    > > then all you have to do is share the drive.
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > I already have the two computers networked by ethernet so this is
    > probably the best solution for me. However, I tried to access the
    > firewire drive using the same procedure that I used to connect the
    > computers and I couldn't see it on the network.
    > Can you give me a few more details on how to do this, or point me
    > in the direction of instructions on the web?
    > Thanks[/ref]

    Following up -- I figured out how to do it.
    Thanks for the tip -- this is exactly what I needed.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  8. #8

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 18:53:24 -0400,
    dotlyc (ca) wrote:

    > I checked this out, but it said that only Apple Developers could
    > download the file.[/ref]

    You can become a member for free at <http://developer.apple.com>

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  9. #9

    dotlyc <ca> writes:

    Don't try it.

    While the FireWire spec will allow it, MacOS almost certainly will
    not. Two different computers accessing one drive will not be aware
    of each other's operations. The two caches will not be in sync,
    resulting in data corruption on the drive.

    A much better solution is to connect the drive to one computer
    (either one) and then connect the computers with Ethernet. Have the
    computer with the drive share it (via the Sharing control panel) and
    have the other computer mount it.

    You can also network the Macs via FireWire (as others have
    mentioned), but I'm not sure what will happen with a drive on that
    same bus. You'll still want to make sure only one computer mounts it
    directly. The other should mount it only as a network share from the
    first computer, in order to keep all the caches in sync. This may
    end up being more work than it's worth. Personally, I prefer the
    ethernet solution.

    -- David
    David Guest

  10. #10

    In article <xI39b.259$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    Possible, although there is 1 severe limitation. The drive cannot be
    accessed by 2 systems at the same time. Also you will have to take care
    that files are closed before another system does anything.

    I do similar with 1 printer connected to a mac and PC at the same time.
    --

    gr,
    Antonio

  11. #11

    In article
    <fu-berlin.de>,
    AnToNio <com> wrote:

    > Possible, although there is 1 severe limitation. The drive cannot be
    > accessed by 2 systems at the same time. Also you will have to take care
    > that files are closed before another system does anything.[/ref]

    Firewire can even include loops in the connections, not just trees.

    Marc

    --
    Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland
    Coaching - Consulting - Counselling - Psychotherapy

  12. #12

    In article <invalid>, com (David C.)
    wrote:

    So did I. Simple is good.
    Since I had the two machines networked by ethernet anyway, it was
    easy to add the firewire drive to the mix, once I figured out how to get
    all the networking setttings worked out. I find it somewhat confusing
    but I bumbled my way through until the drive finally showed up.
    Another question -- I was told to always dismount (eject) the
    firewire drive before unplugging it or shutting it off. However, I plan
    to mostly keep it attached to the eMac and I've been putting the eMac to
    sleep with the firewire drive still mounted. Is this playing with fire?
    I haven't run into any file corruption problems so far, but I'd hate to
    find out the hard way that this is Bad Thing To Do.
    Also, if I shut down the eMac, rather than just sleeping it, should
    I dismount the drive first?
    And finally, if I dismount the firewire drive before sleeping the
    eMac, when I want it back again, I couldn't find any way to remount it
    except to pull out the USB cable and plug it in again. Is there a better
    way?

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest