Professional Web Applications Themes

Can Fireworks dd menu play music files instead of opening windows - Macromedia Fireworks

I created a fireworks button with a dd menu and instead of having the drop down link to (& open) other pages, I'd like to link to .ram files so visitors can listen to some music I've created. Is this possible? & If so what's the best way to go about it? THANKS!...

  1. #1

    Default Can Fireworks dd menu play music files instead of opening windows

    I created a fireworks button with a dd menu and instead of having the drop
    down link to (& open) other pages, I'd like to link to .ram files so
    visitors
    can listen to some music I've created.

    Is this possible? & If so what's the best way to go about it?

    THANKS!

    Diann Guest

  2. #2

    Diann wrote:
    >I created a fireworks button with a dd menu and instead of having the drop
    >down link to (& open) other pages, I'd like to link to .ram files so
    >visitors
    >can listen to some music I've created.
    >
    >Is this possible? & If so what's the best way to go about it?
    >
    >THANKS!

    Hi Diann:

    I see you posted your question here as well. I answered it in the
    exchange extensions forum for Fireworks. Please check there. And in the
    future, please post your questions to the appropriate forum. This is
    where you question should have been posted, but I saw it in the other
    forum. basically Murray and I are in full agreement on this one. ;~}

    --
    enthusiastically,
    mark haynes

    Announcing Macromedia DevNet Subscriptions
    Maximize your power with our new premium software subscription for Macromedia developers
    Find out more: [url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/devnetsubs/[/url]

    mark haynes Guest

  3. #3

    Mark:

    Dang - spoiled my streak.... 8)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "mark haynes" <supportinfomacromedia.com> wrote in message

    > basically Murray and I are in full agreement on this one. ;~}

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  4. #4

    Diann:

    Since I only touch these menus wearing a HazMat suit, my answers must be
    qualified with a dose of salt, but it it were me and I wanted to link to
    those ram files, I would change this -

    mm_menu_0903171125_0_2.addMenuItem("Coming&nbsp;Ho me","window.open('/mymusic
    /comnhome.ram', '_blank');");

    to this -

    mm_menu_0903171125_0_2.addMenuItem("Coming&nbsp;Ho me","window.open('/mymusic
    /comnhome.ram', '_self');");

    but that would then replace the current window's contents and that is likely
    not what you want. But it seems to me that those are the only two choices.

    As for standard music formats, as I said earlier, Flash is the only choice,
    really.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Diann" <ms.diannverizon.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the advise, quick response, & hopefully lasting patience : )
    >
    > Inside the dd menu area in fireworks is there a way to browse for specific
    > file? - it would make it the task a lot easier.
    >
    > Is there a standard sound format I should use - one that most people are
    the
    > least likely to encounter problems with? It's OK if a seperate player
    window
    > opens but I'd like the main music page to stay open throughout.
    >
    > The fireworks code that I imported to DW uses window.open, is there a way
    > change it to because right now it is opening a blank window for the music
    > file and closing the main music window?
    >
    > Here's a small section of the menu:
    >
    > mm_menu_0903171125_0_2 = new Menu("2003",119,20,"Verdana, Arial,
    Helvetica,

    sans-serif",14,"#000000","#000000","#ecc276","#ffffcc", "left","middle",3,0,1
    > 000,0,0,true,true,true,0,false,true);

    mm_menu_0903171125_0_2.addMenuItem("Coming&nbsp;Ho me","window.open('/mymusic
    > /comnhome.ram', '_blank');");

    mm_menu_0903171125_0_2.addMenuItem("Hostile&nbsp;H orse","window.open('/mymus
    > ic/horse.ram', '_blank');");
    >

    > "Murray *TMM*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
    > > Diann:
    > >
    > > Manually enter the path to the .ram file, or browse to it and select it.
    > >
    > > Be aware that the only way to reliably play music cross browser/platform
    > is
    > > to use Flash, otherwise you will have the problem that a) a separate
    > player
    > > window might open, or b) the player required by the file type is not
    > > available on the platform being used by the visitor.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    > > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX
    > > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    > > ==================
    > > [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url] - THE BEST WAY TO
    GET
    > > ANSWERS
    > > ==================
    > > [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage!
    > > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > > [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > > ==================
    > >
    > > "Diann" <ms.diannverizon.net> wrote in message
    > > > I created a fireworks button with a dd menu and instead of having the
    > drop
    > > > down link to (& open) other pages, I'd like to link to .ram files so
    > > > visitors
    > > > can listen to some music I've created.
    > > >
    > > > Is this possible? & If so what's the best way to go about it?
    > > >
    > > > THANKS!

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  5. #5

    About your reponse (added below) I have Flash MX but am still learning how
    to use it. I've completed only 2 basic training guides: (from the Source and
    Teach yourself), but I haven't moved on to "real" action scripting. Unlike
    the other products in the suite, I'm finding Flash difficult to even get
    comfortable with - let alone get to advanced features.

    I know DW easily accepts FW creations, is there a way to bring the fireworks
    file I created, with the dd menu in tact, into Flash (& assign the sounds
    there or does the dd menu have to be created in Flash? Which I'm not sure I
    can do - yet.

    While I have your ear, I really want to learn more about Javascripting as
    well, can you suggest a real basic hold your hand, step-by-step guide that
    can get me started?

    PS: Sorry about the post to the Fireworks extension forum - it was the only
    FW's related forum that came up when I searched "Marcomedia Fireworks".
    After posting to the extension forum, I dropped Macromedia from the search
    came across this one. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

    Hi Diann:

    The location property in the method "addMenuItem()" can be used to call a
    JavaScript function in your page that will play a sound file. To learn the
    principles behind this see this TechNote:

    <[url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/fireworks/ts/doents/popup_behaviors.ht[/url]
    m>

    Dreamweaver has a Play Sound behavior that you can add to your function list
    and call from the location parameter in your addMenuItem() method.

    But here's the catch: Sound playback is controlled by each individual system
    that visits your page and you have NO control over the sound playback
    devices on those systems. If you really want to play back sound files when
    a user selects a menu item, I suggest that you get Flash MX (after which you
    can then get a free upgrade to Flash MX 2004 when it's released) and use a
    menu movieclip to play a sound file. This will give you more consistency
    over the various systems and browsers that visit your page.

    Another item: This is a forum for extension developers. This question should
    have been posted on the general Fireworks Forum. Please post future
    non-extension development related questions there. Thanks