Professional Web Applications Themes

Can I apply Optical Margin Allignment through a Paragraph Style? - Adobe Indesign Windows

I can't find a way to make Optical Margin Alignment part of a certain paragraph-style. I'm now clicking a text frame from any story to apply it. There must be a easier way, I presume... Marc Verbeek...

  1. #1

    Default Can I apply Optical Margin Allignment through a Paragraph Style?

    Marc_Verbeek@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Nope. It's a story based setting.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Nope. It's a story based setting.

    though it shouldn't be: it is based on a specific point size.
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    No it's not. The alignment is set to be optimized for a specific point size, but alignment is alignment -- it doesn't vary from paragraph to paragraph because if it did it wouldn't be alignment any more.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    [email]Dave_Saundersadobeforums.com[/email] wrote in
    > No it's not. The alignment is set to be optimized for a specific
    > point size, but alignment is alignment -- it doesn't vary from
    > paragraph to paragraph because if it did it wouldn't be alignment
    > any more.
    The problem with it as a story-specific setting arises when you have
    text of different point sizes within a single story. Perhaps it should
    be a character attribute?
    Guy_Smiley@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    What problem? You want to have different alignment for each size? Then it's not alignment any more at the story level.

    I'm not completely sold on this argument from Adobe, but it does have some persuasiveness.

    I think there's room for both story level and paragraph level, but they would serve different purposes. What InDesign offers is optical margin alignment for stories, not individual paragraphs. Allow it at the paragraph level and you will no longer have it at the story level.

    My sense is that too many users want it at the paragraph level that Adobe is being short-sighted by digging in their heels on this one. But paragraph-level optical margins are not the same as story level aligned margins.

    Two things I certainly would like to have added to the current feature are:

    1. The ability to switch it off for selected paragraph styles.

    2. The ability to set different alignment quantities for each margin.

  7. #7

    I recently noticed the program PageStream has both optical margins and hanging punctuation (ie, as separate features). My preference would be for ID to have the ability to edit the amount of hang characters have (as in Ventura), though for both margins, and I would prefer the ability to turn it on and off at paragraph and character level. You can do this in Ventura, and it comes in handy for things like ellipses. I prefer to make piecemeal ellipses (the ones in the font I find too tight), but I don't want them to hang, so it's handy to be able to suppress hanging punctuation just for them.
    Dominic_Hurley@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Yes, you can do it through paragraph styles. Choose in stile "Indent and spacing" and there is "ignore optical margin" choice.
    thinkandtype Guest