Professional Web Applications Themes

can i delete /stand ? - FreeBSD

It bugs me......

  1. #1

    Default can i delete /stand ?

    It bugs me...
    Gert Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: can i delete /stand ?

    Gert Cuykens wrote:

    yes you can. If you need to run sysinstall later it will be in
    /usr/sbin/sysinstall

    You might want to check your init_path in loader.conf, in
    /boot/defaults/loader.conf it is set to

    /sbin/init:/sbin/oinit:/sbin/init.bak:/stand/sysinstall

    it would be sensible to replace /stand/sysinstall by /rescue/init

    Cheers, Erik
    --
    Ph: +34.666334818 web: http://www.locolomo.org
    S/MIME Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt

  3. #3

    On Apr 1, 2005 11:54 PM, Gert Cuykens <com> wrote:

    > > NO, leave things as they are. If you delete all the things that have
    > > been bugging you, you'll have an in-operative system. then what are you
    > > going to do?
    > >[/ref][/ref]

    See the thing is i like /bin. /sbin is a bit to much but i can live
    with it, i prefer one bin instead of two but /stand is just crossing
    the line here :) You put it in bin or in sbin but thats it :)

    The same reason my shuffled my /root into /usr/root/ and got rit of
    the /usr/home/user and put it in /usr/user.
    Gert Guest

  4. #4

    On Apr 1, 2005 11:11 AM, Erik Nørgaard <org> wrote:

    > yes you can. If you need to run sysinstall later it will be in
    > /usr/sbin/sysinstall
    >
    > You might want to check your init_path in loader.conf, in
    > /boot/defaults/loader.conf it is set to
    >
    > /sbin/init:/sbin/oinit:/sbin/init.bak:/stand/sysinstall
    >
    > it would be sensible to replace /stand/sysinstall by /rescue/init
    >[/ref]

    What happens if i leave /stand/sysinstall and put nothing in return ?
    How will singel user look like ?
    Gert Guest

  5. #5

    Gert Cuykens wrote: [/ref]

    > See the thing is i like /bin. /sbin is a bit to much but i can live
    > with it, i prefer one bin instead of two but /stand is just crossing
    > the line here :) You put it in bin or in sbin but thats it :)
    >
    > The same reason my shuffled my /root into /usr/root/ and got rit of
    > the /usr/home/user and put it in /usr/user.[/ref]

    Are you trying to make FreeBSD look or feel like Linux? If so - stick
    with Linux. Otherwise why are you tampering with it when you clearly
    have no idea what you are doing.

    --
    Best regards,
    Chris

    When in doubt, mumble.
    When in trouble, delegate.
    When in charge, ponder.
    Chris Guest

  6. #6

    On Apr 2, 2005 10:50 AM, Chris <com> wrote:

    > > See the thing is i like /bin. /sbin is a bit to much but i can live
    > > with it, i prefer one bin instead of two but /stand is just crossing
    > > the line here :) You put it in bin or in sbin but thats it :)
    > >
    > > The same reason my shuffled my /root into /usr/root/ and got rit of
    > > the /usr/home/user and put it in /usr/user.[/ref]
    >
    > Are you trying to make FreeBSD look or feel like Linux? If so - stick
    > with Linux. Otherwise why are you tampering with it when you clearly
    > have no idea what you are doing.
    >
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Chris
    >
    > When in doubt, mumble.
    > When in trouble, delegate.
    > When in charge, ponder.
    >[/ref]

    I am not tampering with it i am modifying it :) You learn allot, just
    close your eyes sroll trough the / directory and when you say stop
    open your eyes again and try to move or delete the file. The
    difference between a good and a bad os is the good one let you get
    away with it by changing some stuff the bad os well just crashes :)
    Gert Guest

  7. #7

    Gert Cuykens wrote:

    >>Are you trying to make FreeBSD look or feel like Linux? If so - stick
    >>with Linux. Otherwise why are you tampering with it when you clearly
    >>have no idea what you are doing.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Best regards,
    >>Chris
    >>
    >>When in doubt, mumble.
    >>When in trouble, delegate.
    >>When in charge, ponder.
    >>[/ref]
    >

    > I am not tampering with it i am modifying it :) You learn allot, just
    > close your eyes sroll trough the / directory and when you say stop
    > open your eyes again and try to move or delete the file. The
    > difference between a good and a bad os is the good one let you get
    > away with it by changing some stuff the bad os well just crashes :)
    >
    >[/ref]

    That is by far the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. Name me one OS
    that "allows" yoo to pull crap like that and not have issues.

    --
    Best regards,
    Chris

    If the faulty part is in stock, it didn't need replacing
    in the first place.
    Chris Guest

  8. #8

    On Apr 2, 2005 7:06 PM, Chris <com> wrote:

    > > I am not tampering with it i am modifying it :) You learn allot, just
    > > close your eyes sroll trough the / directory and when you say stop
    > > open your eyes again and try to move or delete the file. The
    > > difference between a good and a bad os is the good one let you get
    > > away with it by changing some stuff the bad os well just crashes :)
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > That is by far the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. Name me one OS
    > that "allows" yoo to pull crap like that and not have issues.
    >[/ref]

    Freebsd does so far :) i already moved the /root directory delete some
    /.hidenfiles and just about to get rit of /stand if Erick tells me my
    single user mode will still work , and it is only needed by
    sysinstall.
    Gert Guest

  9. #9

    <snip>

    > > That is by far the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. Name me one OS
    > > that "allows" yoo to pull crap like that and not have issues.[/ref]
    >
    > Freebsd does so far :) i already moved the /root directory delete some
    > /.hidenfiles and just about to get rit of /stand if Erick tells me my
    > single user mode will still work , and it is only needed by
    > sysinstall.[/ref]

    I suggest /sbin now and at a later stage /boot. There's already a /bin, right,
    who needs an /sbin. Do keep /usr/doc and /usr/share/man for emergencies.

    Dan
    Danny Guest

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Dick Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. #11

    Danny Pansters wrote:

    >>Freebsd does so far :) i already moved the /root directory delete some
    >>/.hidenfiles and just about to get rit of /stand if Erick tells me my
    >>single user mode will still work , and it is only needed by
    >>sysinstall.[/ref]
    >

    > I suggest /sbin now and at a later stage /boot. There's already a /bin, right,
    > who needs an /sbin. Do keep /usr/doc and /usr/share/man for emergencies.
    >
    > Dan[/ref]

    Are we to assume you are joking?

    --
    Best regards,
    Chris

    The longer you wait in line, the greater the
    likelihood that you are standing in the wrong line.
    Chris Guest

  12. #12

    On Saturday 02 April 2005 22:24, Chris wrote:

    Yes.
    Danny Guest

  13. #13

    Danny Pansters wrote:

    > Yes.[/ref]

    I did like the idea of rm -r /boot

    --
    Best regards,
    Chris

    The only game that can't be fixed is peek-a-boo.
    Chris Guest

  14. #14

    On Saturday 02 April 2005 08:56, Gert Cuykens <com>
    wrote: [/ref][/ref]
    wrote: [/ref][/ref]
    <fm> wrote:

    > > Are you trying to make FreeBSD look or feel like Linux? If so -
    > > stick with Linux. Otherwise why are you tampering with it when you
    > > clearly have no idea what you are doing.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best regards,
    > > Chris
    > >
    > > When in doubt, mumble.
    > > When in trouble, delegate.
    > > When in charge, ponder.[/ref]
    >
    > I am not tampering with it i am modifying it :) You learn allot, just
    > close your eyes sroll trough the / directory and when you say stop
    > open your eyes again and try to move or delete the file. The
    > difference between a good and a bad os is the good one let you get
    > away with it by changing some stuff the bad os well just crashes :)[/ref]

    Gert, seriously, what on earth are you doing? I've seen you on this list
    for a while ... has someone broken into your mail account and is
    writing these messages, posing as you?

    If not, I sort of understand your point, as in the general curiosity of
    hacking a system, but I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish.
    There should at least be a goal or purpose to this, right?

    - jt
    Joshua Guest

  15. #15

    Gert Cuykens wrote:

    > What happens if i leave /stand/sysinstall and put nothing in return ?
    > How will singel user look like ?[/ref]

    The same. /stand/sysinstall starts the installer, it's the last thing
    the loader will try if everything else fail, then it must be because you
    have no system and would like to install one - right? But then, you
    might as well use an install disc.

    Asuming you have a working system there is really no use for /stand. All
    the files in /stand are hardlinks to the /stand/boot_crunch file.

    Some people like sysinstall as a postconfiguration tool, and doen-
    tation refers to this. But you can run it from /usr/sbin/sysinstall

    On the other hand it surprises me that /rescue/init is not in the
    init_path, for system recovery it is far more usefull than sysinstall,
    it will give you a single user like system with a shell.

    So, if you can't stand /stand - go ahead delete it - but don't sue me if
    you some day need it :-)

    Erik

    --
    Ph: +34.666334818 web: http://www.locolomo.org
    S/MIME Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt
    Subject ID: A9:76:7A:ED:06:95:2B:8D:48:97:CE:F2:3F:42:C8:F2:22 :DE:4C:B9
    Fingerprint: 4A:E8:63:38:46:F6:9A:5D:B4:DC:29:41:3F:62:D3:0A:73 :25:67:C2
    Erik Guest

  16. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    dick Guest
    Moderated Post

  17. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Danny Guest
    Moderated Post

  18. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Erik Guest
    Moderated Post

  19. #19

    Chris wrote:

    I hate that / in the beginning - can I get rid of it by 'rm -r /'?

    Really, while I can sometimes find it intertaining to wonder and discuss
    the reasons for whatever wierdness people my prefer, and see the
    discussion to go off track. I think we should just answer the question
    and if you can't do that, let it go.

    Some people want to order their socks according to colour, and if they
    are out of order their life is a missery. If this kind of person comes
    to me and ask if he can order his sock drawer according to colour, I'd
    say sure, your sock drawer will function perfectly with your socks
    ordered according to colour - as long as I can keep mine disordered
    according to your scheme.

    Cheers, Erik

    --
    Ph: +34.666334818 web: http://www.locolomo.org
    S/MIME Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt
    Subject ID: A9:76:7A:ED:06:95:2B:8D:48:97:CE:F2:3F:42:C8:F2:22 :DE:4C:B9

  20. #20

    FX-53R rm -r /stand
    FX-53R ls
    bin cdrom dev entropy lib mnt rescue sys usr
    boot compat dist etc libexec proc sbin tmp var
    FX-53R

    Doesnt this look much better :)

    Next what do i have to do to remove /compat /sys and /rescue ?
    Gert Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast