Professional Web Applications Themes

Can I give Linux a pre-existing partition? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello -- Thanks for all help in advance. Please do not reply to the posted eddress... we are having spam wars with the usenet trollers and the account will go inactive shortly. Here is my question: I have an 80gig HD partitioned as follows for win98: c: -- win98 o/s -- 3GB d: -- EMPTY -- 5GB << -- I want to put linux root + swap here e: -- MP3 -- 30GB f: -- DATA -- 20GB g: -- win EXE -- 5GB The rest of the HD is unpartitioned and unformatted. I have the Redhat 8.0 Linux distro ...

  1. #1

    Default Can I give Linux a pre-existing partition?

    Hello --

    Thanks for all help in advance.

    Please do not reply to the posted eddress... we are having spam wars
    with the usenet trollers and the account will go inactive shortly.

    Here is my question:

    I have an 80gig HD partitioned as follows for win98:

    c: -- win98 o/s -- 3GB
    d: -- EMPTY -- 5GB << -- I want to put linux root + swap here
    e: -- MP3 -- 30GB
    f: -- DATA -- 20GB
    g: -- win EXE -- 5GB

    The rest of the HD is unpartitioned and unformatted.

    I have the Redhat 8.0 Linux distro CDs and have been trying to force
    the install to my current D: drive, but with no luck. I want to put
    root and swap where d: is (4GB to root, and 1 GB to swap) then give
    usr parts of the unformatted HD.

    Can I do this without losing e:, f: and g:? If so, how?

    Alternatively, I suppose I could install Linux to the unpartitioned
    portion of the HD, but then I would not be able to boot from the HD if
    I understand the FAQs correctly. Is this true? Would I have to create
    a boot diskette?

    Thanks!
    Mediocre Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can I give Linux a pre-existing partition?

    Mediocre Hacker <com> wrote:

    1Gb of swap??? What are you planning to do with that machine? Heavy
    graphical manipulation?

    Use the "manual partitioning" or the "advanced/manual" installation
    and tell the installer to use /dev/hdb.

    ??Why?? If you use a new version of LILO or Grub you'll be able to
    boot the installation no matter of where you install it.

    That's a wonderfull idea, no matter where you install your Linux,
    ALWAYS create a boot floppy and keep it handy.

    Davide
    Davide Guest

  3. #3

    Mediocre Hacker wrote:

    dont worry, you post here, get your answers here :)

    are all those partitions on the same drive? if not, please
    specify which partitions belong to which drive(s). also, can
    you specify which are, if any, logical partitions. (or simply
    list the partition types for each of the partitions).

    you'll have to split up the 'd' partition and dedicate a
    partition to each type (/, swap partitions).

    .... you can install to the unformatted space
    ..
    \\\ http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html ///
    If God didn't mean for us to juggle, tennis balls wouldn't
    come three to a can.

    mjt Guest

  4. #4

    Mediocre Hacker wrote:

    As soon as you deleted d: then drive letters e:, f: and g: will
    re-assign themselves to be d:, e: and f: respectively.

    On older versions of windows, and I am not sure if this includes Win98
    but I suspect so, if you put a foreign filesystem between windows
    partitions, windows will no longer recognize the partitions that follow
    the foreign filesystem on the hard drive. (It will still recognize
    your cdrom drive)
    This is a dos/windows problem, not a linux problem.

    So it would be safer to choose the partition that is last on the drive
    so that all your windows partitions are contiguous. Perhaps move all
    the data from g: to d: and then put linux on what was formerly g:

    Mandrake can be told to install itself on any partition to which you
    point the installer and it will reformat the designated partition. You
    just have to be sure that you are pointing at the correct partition.
    Safest thing to do if you decide to use g: as I suggest is to use
    windows fdisk to remove it so that it is empty space.
    Then you can either tell Mandrake to use the empty space or you can tell
    mandrake to use custom partitioning and have it non-destructively
    shrink the f: partition so that you have a larger empty space on which
    to install mandrake.
    I suggest that you install the linux loader in the MBR so that it acts
    as a boot manager to boot both windows and linuc. Mandrake sets this
    up by default when it detects the presence of the bootable windows
    partition. (You should always, however, have a boot disk for any
    operating system that you have aboard any machine that is under your
    control, for emergency purposes.)
    I suggest the linux loader (lilo) although others prefer grub simply
    because it is so standard that any test book will cover it and there
    are many more people that can give you help on it if you need it.

    --
    Clive, at Toronto
    (remove each x in the email address)

  5. #5

    On 24 Sep 2003 08:27:25 -0700, Mediocre Hacker wrote:

    Ok, delete d: and install there.

    swap is normally 2x memory up to 512meg max, nless you plan on

    Whoops, you delete d, that wonderful Micro$not will re-letter your
    partitions for you.

    that will work

    What is the date for that bit if info. Old bios and old software had
    the limit. RH 8.0 aught to work.

    Make one anyway, if you re-install/install a MS os, you will need
    the diskette anyway.
    Bit Guest

  6. #6

    Clive Dove wrote:

    .... not because it is a "standard" or in text books, but
    because it simply "works better" and is easier, esp when
    it comes to installing new kernels
    ..
    \\\ http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html ///
    Only adults have difficulty with childproof caps.

    mjt Guest

  7. #7

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:27:25 -0700, Mediocre Hacker typed:

    Do not try and force Linux to do something that's not right. Linux uses a
    different type of partitions then DOS/Windows FAT/FAT32.

    Yes, but you need to change your plans somewhat and modify your
    partitions. First step is to create some blank and unformatted space on
    the hard drive to install Linux to (root and swap) after your primary (c:)
    partition and before the start of your extended partition(logical d: e: f:
    and g:). Your hard drive will look something like the following when done;

    C: win98 3GB Primary partition

    Blank space to install Linux (root and swap) ~5GB

    Extended Partition holding the logical partitions;

    D: EMPTY ~10MB <--to keep your dos/windows drive letters as they are now
    E: MP3 30GB
    F: DATA 20GB
    G: win EXE 5GB
    Blank space to create the /usr Linux partition 7GB

    Please read the following for more help and understanding partitioning;

    http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/HOWTO/mini/Partition/index.html
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/ch-partitions.html

    (watch out for word wrap the URL's above are each one line long)

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Lenard Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks for the answers. I think I am going to just try putting Linux
    onto the unused portion of the HD.. More questions soon, I am sure...

    Thanks again!
    Mediocre Guest