Professional Web Applications Themes

Can I Import a Bitmap to the Stage AND Create a Screen Icon Simultaneously? - Macromedia Flash

Hi everyone. I'm a little bit confused about something that is probably rudimentary, regarding slide presentations. I'm creating a slide presentation, and have the Screens window open. Right now, there is a main, parent screen icon named Presentation, and a child screen named Screen1. I imported a bitmap image into the stage, and that image now also appears in the Screen1 icon. I've set the fps to 25, clicked frame 100, and pressed the F5 key, so now the bitmap displays in the movie for four seconds. Here's where I get confused about what to do next: I want to ...

  1. #1

    Default Can I Import a Bitmap to the Stage AND Create a Screen Icon Simultaneously?

    Hi everyone.

    I'm a little bit confused about something that is probably
    rudimentary, regarding slide presentations.

    I'm creating a slide presentation, and have the Screens window open.
    Right now, there is a main, parent screen icon named Presentation, and
    a child screen named Screen1.

    I imported a bitmap image into the stage, and that image now also
    appears in the Screen1 icon.

    I've set the fps to 25, clicked frame 100, and pressed the F5 key, so
    now the bitmap displays in the movie for four seconds.

    Here's where I get confused about what to do next: I want to import
    another bitmap image, beginning with frame 101, which I want to last
    through frame 200.

    I know how to do this--create a blank keyframe in frame 101 and import
    the bitmap to the stage, then click frame 200, and press F5.

    What confuses me is how, or if, to synchronize this new image so that
    it is Screen2. I hope this makes sense. If I first create a Screen2
    child in the Screens window, the timeline is at frame 1 and Layer 1 is
    displayed. I get completely confused because I see two bitmap images
    in the Screens window, but can't drag Screen2 into the Stage.

    So, if I add a blank keyframe at frame 101 and import the bitmap into
    the stage, and have it appear through frame 200, how do I get it to
    appear as a Screen icon, and be displayed properly, at frame 101, in
    the timeline?

    Or am I going about this wrong? Do I need to create a new layer, if I
    want to add screens? Am I missing the point and purpose of the screen
    icons? The doentation I've read, so far, about this, is a bit
    unclear to me. Thank you!

    To reply privately,
    please remove the number 5 from the e-mail address.
    Thank you very much! Jack Danniel

    Jack Danniel Guest

  2. #2

    When using screens, each screen has its own separate timeline. By default all of the
    screens' timelines are playing at the same time in parallel (unless the playHidden
    property of the screen is set to false). When you go from one screen to the next, you are
    simply hiding one screen and revealing the next. It's not like scenes which are mutually
    exclusive and the global timeline playhead is exactly one scene.

    It sounds like what you want to do is put a frame action on frame 100 of slide1 that says
    currrentSlide.gotoNextSlide(). Then put your second bitmap on slide2 in frames 1...100
    and on frame 100 of that slide, do the same thing,etc. Also, make sure the playHidden
    property of slide1 and slide2 is set to false. That way, when it finishes displaying the
    first bitmap in slide1 it will advance to the timeline of slide2.

    Ed Skwarecki
    Principal Architect
    Macromedia

    Ed Skwarecki Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Ed. I'm a novice and am just beginning to learn my way around.
    I'm afraid you may have to dumb this information down a bit for me.
    >It sounds like what you want to do is put a frame action on frame 100 of slide1 that says
    >currrentSlide.gotoNextSlide().
    Can you elaborate on this? How do I do that?

    >Then put your second bitmap on slide2 in frames 1...100
    >and on frame 100 of that slide, do the same thing,etc. Also, make sure the playHidden
    >property of slide1 and slide2 is set to false. That way, when it finishes displaying the
    >first bitmap in slide1 it will advance to the timeline of slide2.
    I haven't figured out how to do this, either. playHidden, can you
    elaborate a bit on this, too?

    Hopefully, by the time you reply, I'll have figured it out by myself,
    but in the event I haven't, I appreciate your help. It probably is
    easier than it sounds, but right now, I have no idea how to progress
    further. Thank you!

  4. #4

    >It sounds like what you want to do is put a frame action on frame 100 of slide1 that says
    >currrentSlide.gotoNextSlide().

    What do I set the event to for this?

  5. #5

    Jack Danniel wrote:
    > Hi Ed. I'm a novice and am just beginning to learn my way around.
    > I'm afraid you may have to dumb this information down a bit for me.
    >

    >>It sounds like what you want to do is put a frame action on frame 100 of slide1 that says
    >>currrentSlide.gotoNextSlide().
    >

    > Can you elaborate on this? How do I do that?

    Select slide 1 in the lefthand slide outline. Open the timeline and select frame 100 in
    that timeline. Choose Window->Development Panels->Actions. In that window, type
    currentSlide.gotoNextSlide()

    >>Then put your second bitmap on slide2 in frames 1...100
    >>and on frame 100 of that slide, do the same thing,etc. Also, make sure the playHidden
    >>property of slide1 and slide2 is set to false. That way, when it finishes displaying the
    >>first bitmap in slide1 it will advance to the timeline of slide2.
    >

    > I haven't figured out how to do this, either. playHidden, can you
    > elaborate a bit on this, too?
    Select slide 1 in the lefthand slide outline. In the bottom Property inspector panel,
    make sure the "Parameters" tab is chosen and scroll down in it so you can see the
    "playHidden" line. Click on the "true" next to playHidden and change it to false. Do
    this for both Slide1 and Slide2.

  6. #6

    Ed,

    Nope, didn't work. Slide 1 does not change to Slide 2 at all.
    I'm clearly missing something here. The instructions you gave me
    below...do I have to make any changes to anything? For example, do I
    have to modify currentSlide.gotoNextSlide() in any way, perhaps by
    adding something in the parentheses, or do I just type it in as is?