Professional Web Applications Themes

can i install programs to a directory apart from /usr/local/bin? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

i'd like to know if i can install linux apps to a location different from /usr/local/bin, into another folder, while doing a make install? i want to install apps into their own folders in a diff directory and then create a link into /usr/local/bin. thanx thehundredthone...

  1. #1

    Default can i install programs to a directory apart from /usr/local/bin?

    i'd like to know if i can install linux apps to a location different
    from /usr/local/bin, into another folder, while doing a make install?
    i want to install apps into their own folders in a diff directory and
    then create a link into /usr/local/bin.
    thanx
    thehundredthone
    thehundredthone Guest

  2. #2

    On 21 Dec 2003, thehundredthone <com> wrote:

    Yes, that will work as long as directories and binaries/scripts in the
    real path have proper permission.

    It also comes in handy if you use scripts on different systems and the
    path the the interpreter is different on each system. For example if your
    path to perl is /usr/bin/perl you can do:

    ln -s /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/perl

    Then a perl script will still run fine even if its first line is:
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl

    David Guest

  3. #3

    Hello

    thehundredthone (<com>) wrote:

    Maybe stow is what you want:

    GNU Stow helps the system administrator organise files under /usr/local/
    by allowing each piece of software to be installed in its own tree
    under /usr/local/stow/, and then using symlinks to create the illusion
    that all the software is installed in the same place.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    com

  4. #4

    "thehundredthone" <com> wrote in message

    I would use the "encap" package to manage this, and do something like this.

    ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/encap/[name-of-package-with-version]
    make install
    epkg name-of-package

    This will *manage* the /usr/local/{bin,info,lib,include,man,etc.} symbolic
    links and set them for the package you select. It's very, very handy for
    managing multiple package versions of non-OS distributed tools.

    Nico Guest

  5. #5

    Thanx. I'd like to clarify this. Suppose I had the source of a program
    I wanted to install, but I didn't want to install it anywhere on the /
    filesystem, is there a way I could compile the program entirely in
    another location, as well as do a"make install", such that the program
    resides only in that location. What steps would I have to take to
    either create automatic symlinks to the required directories, or to
    link particular files manually? Which files would I have to link?
    Thanx again.
    thehundredthone

    com (David Efflandt) wrote in message news:<xnet.com>...

    > Yes, that will work as long as directories and binaries/scripts in the
    > real path have proper permission.
    >
    > It also comes in handy if you use scripts on different systems and the
    > path the the interpreter is different on each system. For example if your
    > path to perl is /usr/bin/perl you can do:
    >
    > ln -s /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/perl
    >
    > Then a perl script will still run fine even if its first line is:
    > #!/usr/local/bin/perl[/ref]
    thehundredthone Guest

  6. #6

    Maybe this is what I'm looking for. I think I'll see if I can "stow"
    the programs in another directory, maybe not even on the / filesystem?
    Thanx
    thehundredthone

    Andreas Janssen <com> wrote in message news:<bs4qa2$sk2$07$t-online.com>...

    > Maybe stow is what you want:

    > GNU Stow helps the system administrator organise files under /usr/local/
    > by allowing each piece of software to be installed in its own tree
    > under /usr/local/stow/, and then using symlinks to create the illusion
    > that all the software is installed in the same place.
    >
    > best regards
    > Andreas Janssen[/ref]
    thehundredthone Guest

  7. #7

    Thanx for the info. Is this program for source, and will it work into
    a directory eg. /mnt/... (vfat)? I'm running Fedora Core 1.
    thanxalot hough
    thehundredthone

    "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <net> wrote in message news:<com>...

    > I would use the "encap" package to manage this, and do something like this.
    >
    > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/encap/[name-of-package-with-version]
    > make install
    > epkg name-of-package
    >
    > This will *manage* the /usr/local/{bin,info,lib,include,man,etc.} symbolic
    > links and set them for the package you select. It's very, very handy for
    > managing multiple package versions of non-OS distributed tools.[/ref]
    thehundredthone Guest

  8. #8

    > > Yes, that will work as long as directories and binaries/scripts in the
    > > real path have proper permission.
    > >
    > > It also comes in handy if you use scripts on different systems and the
    > > path the the interpreter is different on each system. For example if[/ref][/ref]
    your [/ref]

    This is an old problem. A lot of vendor-supplied software that requires its
    own man pages, libs, etc. has been built to go in "/opt/name-of-package".
    But then you have to add those /opt/*/bin locations to your PATH, you have
    to add the man location to your MANPATH, etc.

    I'd like to suggest using "encap" if you need to do this. It's a nice little
    package that can deal with multiple versions of software installed in, say,
    "/usr/local/encap/{software}-{version}", and will then create on your
    command symbolic links into /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/man, /usr/local/lib,
    /usr/local/sbin, etc. to the actual files in
    "/usr/local/encap/{software}-{version}", and flush the old links from the
    previous versions of the software. It also allows you to revert the software
    easily.

    It's a nice widget for this sort of use.

    Nico Guest