Professional Web Applications Themes

Can I scale a rectangular selection marquee? - Adobe Photoshop Mac CS, CS2 & CS3

After setting the marquee to a 2:3 aspect (like 4 x 6 inches) I want the option of proportionally scaling the marquee. Is there a way to do so in Photoshop? This would help tremendously when cropping to a known aspect ratio. Is it possible to scale any selection? Thanks, John...

  1. #1

    Default Can I scale a rectangular selection marquee?

    John_Blasquez@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can I scale a rectangular selection marquee?

    Yes, In CS, just choose....Select-> Transform Selection.

    In earlier versions of PS, after you have made your selection, switch to Quick Mask Mode, then chose Edit->Transform-> Scale. After you have scaled the mask, switch back to Standard Mode.

    In both instances, hold down the shift key to scale proportionally.

    Hope that helps.
    Mark McIntyre Guest

  3. #3

    Select>Transform Selection has been around since at least 5.5 and perhaps earlier.

    A quick way is to Control-click inside the marquee and select Transform Selection from the context menu. You can also make an action tnat assigns it to an F key.
    Ed_Hannigan@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Actually, I kinda like Mark's idea of doing a regular transform in Q-mode. Clever.
    Doug_Katz@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks all! That helps a lot.

    I'm about ready to switch from 5.5 to CS ... finally jumping into Photoshop after getting a Canon Digital Rebel. Just getting my sea legs with Photoshop. Remarkable results thus far!

    Is there a dialog where I can initially set the marquee to a 4 x 6 rectangle? If not, I'll continue dragging it out relative to the ruler.

    Thanks again,

  6. #6

    Use "Style" drop down menu on top menu bar to set exact dimensions. With rectangular marquee tool selected, change from "normal" to "fixed size" and type in your dimensions in the two fields on the right.
    150mph@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Is there a dialog where I can initially set the marquee to a 4 x 6 rectangle?
    If not, I'll continue dragging it out relative to the ruler.

    In the marquis tool options, scroll "Style" to fixed size, and enter the width and height in pixels, so you have to figure the number of pixels in 4 x 6 from your resolution.

    [Edit: 150mph is faster than me]
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Is there a dialog where I can initially set the marquee to a 4 x 6 rectangle?
    If not, I'll continue dragging it out relative to the ruler

    On the Options Bar, you can set the marquee from Normal to Fixed Ratio or to Fixed Size.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I personally always liked fixed ratio so you are not restricted to an exact size when choosing an area to crop.

    Of course after cropping you need to resize to the exact size you want, with resampling off.
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I personally always liked fixed ratio

    Same here.
    Ramón_G_Castañeda@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    "Select>Transform Selection has been around since at least 5.5 and perhaps earlier. "

    Thanks for correcting me on that. Guess I was so used to the QM method that i never noticed the Transform Selection till CS. LOL.
    Mark McIntyre Guest

  12. #12

    Select>Transform Selection works great for my purposes.

    Don't know how I overlooked that.