Professional Web Applications Themes

Can I set two footnotes in the same line in CS 2? - Adobe Indesign Windows

I could do it in ID CS: since footnotes were not recognised as such, they were plain taxt, hence I could delete the paragraph mark at the end and set the note in the horizontal where i wanted it with a tab mark. But to my dismay I have found that I cannot delete the paragraph mark at the end of a footnote in CS2! Is there any other way to set to footnotes in the same line? THanks in advance, Fernando Atria...

  1. #1

    Default Can I set two footnotes in the same line in CS 2?

    Fernando_Atria@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can I set two footnotes in the same line in CS 2?

    No
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  3. #3

    Actually, yes.

    But it's a manual operation, not an automatic one. Click in the second footnote, and change the leading of that paragraph to zero and the left-hand indent to the value you want (I assume half-way across the measure). There you go. You can even set more than two across a line if you want. I haven't experimented extensively with this, but I don't see any real problems with it.

    PS. If the first footnote is more than one line long, it doesn't work. If the second is, you'll have to break them into separate paragraphs after the first line and make them look like one para. But generally, these inline footnotes are done only when they're short anyway.
    Dominic_Hurley@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Dear Dominic,
    Thank you, you really saved me, particularly after Mike's reply! I did try your suggestion and it worked perfectly fine, even when the first footnote was more than one line long (i just followed in this case your advice for the cases in which the second footnote was more than one line long, and it worked beautifully).
    Fernando_Atria@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Dominic, you're working too hard! :-)

    Mike
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  6. #6

    I just like footnotes!

    I subsequently found a better solution for multiline footnotes that allows the text to remain in order:

    —If the first footnote is two lines long and the second is one, apply a baseline shift to the whole of the second note equal to the leading of note 1. (This is on top of making the leading of note 2 equal to zero.)

    —If the two footnotes are both two lines long, do not change the leading of the second note to zero but use baseline shift of x times the leading, where x = the number of lines in fn 1. This preserves the text order, which is pretty handy, but you then have a gap after footnote 2. So, you have to apply baseline shift of (x - 1) times the leading to all subsequent footnotes on that page.

    You can also use baseline shift instead of zero leading for one-line notes, but then you also need to apply the shift to all other notes, so it's not as simple as the first method I outlined. I imagine you could use this new method for multiple inline notes on one page - you'd just need to take it slowly. Also, the display gets a bit confusing - the cursor moves to where the shifted note originally fell before the baseline shift, so you are often apparently moving in blank space when you want to edit. (Try it, you'll see what I mean.)
    Dominic_Hurley@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    And then watch the fun when the book repaginates, and the footnotes you have beautifully hand-crafted get split over different pages ... no doubt just before going to press. Arrgh. Maybe Mike was right.
    Don_McCahill@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Have you tried it? Because it's really not a problem. At worst, if the text containing the second note moves over the page, you can easily see such a foonote indented without a first note. You simply remove the overrides (or reapply the footnote style if you've made a new inline para style) and it's all fine. Same if any of the subsequent baseline notes move over a page. If someone were doing this all the time, I'm sure a script could be written to make sure that any "Second Inline Footnote" style appearing on a page without a previous "First Inline Footnote" was retagged. Even without scripting, you can just search for the inline style and do a visual check.

    There are many things you have to watch out for before going to print that are not automatic in ID (eg, hyphenated words over page/column breaks, balanced spreads, etc). This is no different.
    Dominic_Hurley@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    No Dominic, I haven't. (Still on CS). And I wasn't denigrating your hack, which I feel is brilliant. I was just foreseeing what might happen if you got into one of the complex situations you mentioned, with all the zero leading and baseline shift tricks, etc. That is where I could see things going out of kilter if the second quote moved to a new page.
    Don_McCahill@adobeforums.com Guest