Professional Web Applications Themes

Can InDesign scale US letter to A4? - Adobe Indesign Windows

I need to publish common product manuals for two paper sizes. If I author the manual in US letter, can InDesign proportionately scale the whole doent to A4 without distorting the contents of the pages? The A4 version needs to be around 12mm taller and 6mm narrower than the US version, but without stretching and squeezing the page contents. Selecting A4 and using "Fit to page" in the output stage (for instance, in the Acrobat print menu) does not cut it. The resulting pages still have oversized top and bottom margins and undersized left and right margins. I am trying ...

  1. #1

    Default Can InDesign scale US letter to A4?

    I need to publish common product manuals for two paper sizes. If I author the manual in US letter, can InDesign proportionately scale the whole doent to A4 without distorting the contents of the pages? The A4 version needs to be around 12mm taller and 6mm narrower than the US version, but without stretching and squeezing the page contents.

    Selecting A4 and using "Fit to page" in the output stage (for instance, in the Acrobat print menu) does not cut it. The resulting pages still have oversized top and bottom margins and undersized left and right margins.

    I am trying to avoid the problem of creating and maintaining two versions of the same exact same manual; one for US letter and one for A4.

    Thanks!

    Fred Lapitino
    Fred_Lapitino@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can InDesign scale US letter to A4?

    Create the doent and then use the layout adjustment options. I can't
    promise anything but it should give you a pretty good start.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Fred,

    'Fraid you're SOL. As Robert suggests, you could try redefining a page size on a copy of the doc with layout adjustment enabled, but LA provides only basic tweaking, and certainly doesn't give any thought to aesthetics. It can save some time, but some manual nipping and tucking is almost inevitable, depending on the complexity of your layout and how you've set up your guides.

    However, there are things you can do to make this chore less painful. The find/replace function of ID allows you to find and replace not only within the current doent, but others as well. You can also make changes in the body text of one doent and simply copy/paste it into the other. ID allows you to set an option when importing text to update and reflow it if the source text file changes. And if you use the same images in both, they will automatically update in both.

    I agree it's long past time North America went to metric paper sizes. But what with the huge installed base of existing equipment calibrated in Imperial, I think we can expect it to happen about the same time we switch over to 220 V electricity--that is to say, never.
    Shane_Matthews@adobeforums.com Guest