Professional Web Applications Themes

Can No Longer Print to PDF: No File Created - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

Greetings, All, (I had this problem months ago too, but it went away…Apple Update?) Recently I did something stupid on my Mac (still new to Mac from Windows) and I had to reinstall OS X (Install and Archive). After Installing OS X 10.5.3, I updated back to 10.5.6. Then I reinstalled CS4 Master Collection and installed the updates for that. This was a couple weeks ago. I seldom need to print anything, but when I do, I print them to PDF. Now, when I do a command-P in any application (Safari, TextEdit, Mail.app, etc), nothing happens. Acrobat creates no file. ...

  1. #1

    Default Can No Longer Print to PDF: No File Created

    Greetings, All,

    (I had this problem months ago too, but it went away…Apple Update?)

    Recently I did something stupid on my Mac (still new to Mac from Windows) and I had to reinstall OS X (Install and Archive). After Installing OS X 10.5.3, I updated back to 10.5.6. Then I reinstalled CS4 Master Collection and installed the updates for that. This was a couple weeks ago.

    I seldom need to print anything, but when I do, I print them to PDF. Now, when I do a command-P in any application (Safari, TextEdit, Mail.app, etc), nothing happens. Acrobat creates no file. I am using the Adobe PDF 9.0 driver. There is a work around: In the lower-left hand corner of the print dialog box, I can click on PDF > Save as PDF…. I get prompted to name the file twice and then it does print. However, trying to research this issue, someone else mentioned the same thing and was told that's Apple's PDF printer. I want to print using Acrobat 9.

    Thank you for any help!

    Keith
    keithdvo@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can No Longer Print to PDF: No File Created

    Try resetting the printer subsystem. Using the work around you mention
    uses Apple's native OS X pdf creation facility.

    Mike
    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    I'm not sure exactly what you mean (too new still?) but I'll delete the printer driver and start over again. I thought I had done that because I had two identical printers for a moment, but perhaps I deleted the wrong one. I'll delete first, then rebuild. I assume I go back to System Preferences.

    Thank you!

  4. #4

    OK, that didn't work. I opened System Preferences and deleted PDF printer, then added a new one. I printed an email, but nothing. I printed from TextEdit, still nothing.

    Oddly, I hear the hard drive as if something were writing to it, but no file is created.

  5. #5

    cool! i didn't know that! thank you!

    sadly, it didn't work. drat!!!!

    know i had this problem a couple few months ago. i never figured it out, but it started working again (which makes me think update from apple)?

    argh!

    thank you again, mike!

    wonder if i should call adobe or apple (so often both parties say "it's them, not us" and that's the end of it)?
    keithdvo@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    The next step I would take is to download either Applejack or Onyx and
    use that application to try to clear both system and user caches.

    Mike
    Michael Guest

  7. #7

    From the Apple Help System:

    Michael Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks! Still nothing. I even clicked on Help > Repair Acrobat Installation, both to repair, then uninstall and install the PDF printer. Nothing. I've searched Google, Apple, and Adobe Fora and I can't find any answers. I really need to start printing again! I don't print to paper, but I print nearly everything to PDF! Argh!!!!

    Anyone? Bueller?

  9. #9

    I am seeing the exact same issue. Before upgrading to CS4, I used Apple's Print to PDF for printing out web receipts and such. Since upgrading, somehow Acrobat 9 and Apple PDF are competing for my Prints to PDF.

    There are a number of new ways to print to PDF now within the dialogue.

    1) Simply print, using the Acrobat 9.0 PDF printer.
    Result: PDF file is created.

    2) Use the PDF button at the lower left corner of the dialogue box and select Save PDF to Web Receipts Folder.
    Result: A Save dialogue box appears, but no file is created.

    3) Use the PDF button at the lower left corner of the dialogue box and select Save As PDF.
    Result: Two Save dialogue boxes appear, one after the other, each with different options for saving. The first one results in no file. The second one results in a file.

    It appears that Adobe's PDF printer is winning out over Apple's.
    Candace_Nelson@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Wow! At least it's not just me!

    I've been trying to do various tests, and now my results are a bit different:

    Going off Candace's notes:

    1) Doesn't work for me. This is what I used to do and want to do again: create a PDF from any application by clicking Print (eg, the Print link on web page) or pressing command-P. No file is created now.

    2) I didn't even know this option existed. It worked for me, but I don't want to print my doents there. I want to be prompted for a name and folder of my choosing in the dialog box.

    3) Oddly, this morning after reading Candace's response, I now only get prompted with one dialog box, not two. Again, I don't want to do this. I want it to work as before where after invoking Print I would be offered a dialog box asking me what to name the file and in which folder to create it.

    Thanks, Candace! I appreciate your post!

  11. #11

    Well, I just got off the phone with Adobe. How annoying, but uninstalling and reinstalling Acrobat worked. I should have tried that up front, I guess. :-)

    Thanks, All, for your help and advice! Candace, perhaps you'll want to uninstall too, and check the option telling it to delete the user preferences (lower-left corner).