Professional Web Applications Themes

Can not download page to your desktop - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

I have contribute CS4, I can login to the site that I am working on, but when I try to edit a page I get the error message that I "can not download page to your desktop". Because of that I can not use contribute, it is rendered useless at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I should add that during the session when I was logged on to the site, I was able to edit one page, after publishing that page I wanted to edit another page, and that is when I got the error above. There ...

  1. #1

    Default Can not download page to your desktop

    I have contribute CS4, I can login to the site that I am working on, but when I
    try to edit a page I get the error message that I "can not download page to
    your desktop". Because of that I can not use contribute, it is rendered useless
    at this point.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I should add that during the session
    when I was logged on to the site, I was able to edit one page, after publishing
    that page I wanted to edit another page, and that is when I got the error
    above. There are no locked regions on any of the pages in the site so that can
    not be a problem.

    Larry

    Larry_from_Greenwood Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cannot edit webpages, any help out there

    Might be a permissions problem on your PC. Contribute stores them locally while
    you're editing. You can check here for the location Contribute uses, based on
    your OS:
    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_16657&sliceId=1

    delaneypub Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Elaine,

    Thank you so much for your help, unfortunately I still can not edit the pages.
    When I click on "edit page" in the tool bar, Contribute seems as though it is
    getting the page and any other info it needs, then I get a pop up message that
    states "Could not copy page to your computer" From that point on, I can not
    perform any edits on any pages to the site with Contribute.

    I did go to the folders and check permissions, they were originally set to
    "Read Only", I deselected the Read Only, restarted my computer, and nothing has
    changed, I still get the "Could not copy page to your computer" message.

    Again thank you for your reply, but I am still stuck here. I have no idea of
    where else I would check for permissions problems.

    Larry

    Larry_from_Greenwood Guest

  4. #4

    can you create a new page and publish it? can you edit the published page you created?
    Charles_G Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Charles,

    Thank you for your response. I never thought to give that a try, but after
    your suggestion I did try, and yes I can create a new page from Contribute,
    publish that new page to the site. But, again, when I try to edit that newly
    created page in Contribute, I get the same error, " Could not copy the page to
    your computer'. Now I would also like to add that there are two other
    individuals that are on separate computers, in different buildings even, that
    get the same error message. I guess you could call it an error message only
    because we can't edit any pages.

    And, we are not logged on at the same time, we are not trying to edit at the
    same time, and this is not specific to any one page, the all create the
    problem, we can't edit any pages with contribute.

    Again, Thank you for your response, but I am still open to any and all help
    with this problem.

    Larry

    Larry_from_Greenwood Guest

  6. #6

    Okay, right after I replied, I tried again to edit the new page, and low and
    behold it work. So I tries to edit another page, well, I can't seem to open
    pages by clicking on the links in the current page. So I thought I would go to
    "Choose" and select a page from their, well now that seemed to work, and I was
    able to edit that page, so now we are making progress, little but at lease some
    progress. After editing the second page and publishing it, I tried to open a
    third page, but no luck, I had to close Contribute and open it again, then I
    was able to select "Choose" to edit another page, it worked. But again I then
    needed to close Contribute and reopen it again.

    Long story, we are making progress, but there is a long way to go in order to
    get this program working proper, and working so we can use it in a production
    environment.

    Larry

    Larry_from_Greenwood Guest

  7. #7

    To reproduce the problem in our test machines and nail down the issue, can you
    please provide me the following information:
    ? Your website URL
    ? The type of Webserver used (for example : Microsoft IIS Web Server, Apache
    Web Server etc)
    ? The connection type used to connect to Webserver (FTP/SFTP/WebDAV)
    ? The user id and password used to connect to Webserver.
    Send the details to com. Your site details will be kept
    confidential.
    Thanks.

    Dominic Guest