Professional Web Applications Themes

Can someone explain the RH software versions ?? Free vs Purchased - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I'm not sure if I have this correct, so can someone correct me if I'm wrong? I'm looking at purchasing RH for a small webserver to host maybe 20-30 websites on, and I want to make the system as stable and easy to setup/maintain as possible. In doing this, I'm looking at purchasing Red Hat Enterprise ES Standard Edition for $599... but in my research, I'm seeing various versions floating around. Let me know if I'm correct in this: Red Hat 9 - Downloaded copies of Red Hat or purchased copies at Best Buy or CompUSA Red Hat 2.1 AS ...

  1. #1

    Default Can someone explain the RH software versions ?? Free vs Purchased

    I'm not sure if I have this correct, so can someone correct me if I'm
    wrong? I'm looking at purchasing RH for a small webserver to host
    maybe 20-30 websites on, and I want to make the system as stable and
    easy to setup/maintain as possible.

    In doing this, I'm looking at purchasing Red Hat Enterprise ES
    Standard Edition for $599... but in my research, I'm seeing various
    versions floating around. Let me know if I'm correct in this:

    Red Hat 9 - Downloaded copies of Red Hat or purchased copies at Best
    Buy or CompUSA
    Red Hat 2.1 AS - Advanced Server edition that covers more then 2
    processors and more then 4 Gigs of RAM.

    But where does Red Hat Enterprise ES fit in? What version will I
    receive if I purchase this plan? I've seen some folks call it RH 9.0
    SE, but I'm not sure if this is accurate.

    Another item I can't find is an HCL for all the various versions of
    RH. I'm pricing a server now, but I want to guarantee the hardware I
    choose is compatible with whatever version of RH comes with Enterprise
    ES plan.

    Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or info. Take care,

    Keegan.
    Keegan Alex Guest

  2. #2

    On 26 Jun 2003 08:19:32 -0700, [email]keegex[/email] (Keegan Alex)
    wrote:
    >I'm not sure if I have this correct, so can someone correct me if I'm
    >wrong? I'm looking at purchasing RH for a small webserver to host
    >maybe 20-30 websites on, and I want to make the system as stable and
    >easy to setup/maintain as possible.
    >
    >In doing this, I'm looking at purchasing Red Hat Enterprise ES
    >Standard Edition for $599... but in my research, I'm seeing various
    >versions floating around. Let me know if I'm correct in this:
    >
    >Red Hat 9 - Downloaded copies of Red Hat or purchased copies at Best
    >Buy or CompUSA
    >Red Hat 2.1 AS - Advanced Server edition that covers more then 2
    >processors and more then 4 Gigs of RAM.
    >
    >But where does Red Hat Enterprise ES fit in? What version will I
    >receive if I purchase this plan? I've seen some folks call it RH 9.0
    >SE, but I'm not sure if this is accurate.
    >
    >Another item I can't find is an HCL for all the various versions of
    >RH. I'm pricing a server now, but I want to guarantee the hardware I
    >choose is compatible with whatever version of RH comes with Enterprise
    >ES plan.
    >
    >Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or info. Take care,
    >
    >Keegan.
    Red Hat ES is limited to 2 processors and 4 gig or RAM.

    Garret

    GD Guest

  3. #3

    GD <gdavisnospam.mn.rr.com> wrote in message news:<r63nfv8eqlnd5um5u5js9un37f4mipf4f04ax.com>. ..
    > On 26 Jun 2003 08:19:32 -0700, [email]keegex[/email] (Keegan Alex)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I'm not sure if I have this correct, so can someone correct me if I'm
    > >wrong? I'm looking at purchasing RH for a small webserver to host
    > >maybe 20-30 websites on, and I want to make the system as stable and
    > >easy to setup/maintain as possible.
    > >
    > >In doing this, I'm looking at purchasing Red Hat Enterprise ES
    > >Standard Edition for $599... but in my research, I'm seeing various
    > >versions floating around. Let me know if I'm correct in this:
    > >
    > >Red Hat 9 - Downloaded copies of Red Hat or purchased copies at Best
    > >Buy or CompUSA
    > >Red Hat 2.1 AS - Advanced Server edition that covers more then 2
    > >processors and more then 4 Gigs of RAM.
    > >
    > >But where does Red Hat Enterprise ES fit in? What version will I
    > >receive if I purchase this plan? I've seen some folks call it RH 9.0
    > >SE, but I'm not sure if this is accurate.
    > >
    > >Another item I can't find is an HCL for all the various versions of
    > >RH. I'm pricing a server now, but I want to guarantee the hardware I
    > >choose is compatible with whatever version of RH comes with Enterprise
    > >ES plan.
    > >
    > >Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or info. Take care,
    > >
    > >Keegan.
    >
    > Red Hat ES is limited to 2 processors and 4 gig or RAM.
    >
    > Garret
    Hi Garret,

    This I know. I can also run the downloaded version using two
    processors and 1 gig of Ram (I'm doing it on my home system [grin]).
    But I'm curious as to what this version of RH is called. I've heard
    folks call it Red Hat ES, but surely there's some version or name to
    it. Or is the ES version just the downloaded version with technical
    support and updates? If it's the same version and I have no problem
    configuring the system myself, then it might be best to get the $349
    ES Basic service just to get priority updates... or use the free
    'demo' updates.

    This server isn't mission critical... it's for me to run websites on
    the side and to make a little extra cash. Plus, I enjoy web design
    and Linux, so it'll be a kind of test server on something other then
    my RR account :)

    Take care, and thanks for the reply,

    Keegan.
    Keegan Alex Guest