Professional Web Applications Themes

Can someone help me with a text box question.... PLEASE! - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I don't even know how to describe what I am needing. Someone has created a text box on a label before I worked at this job. It appears to be a text box but they have made it into a particular shape so that the text follow that shape. I have been trying to te it for months... looking on line and in my Adobe Illustrator lesson book. Can I email the file to someone so that you can take a look and see what I am talking about? Thanks!...

  1. #1

    Default Can someone help me with a text box question.... PLEASE!

    ckoskyn@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Hi

    It would be better to post it to the web if you can as readers wont want to put their email address in a forum post (or am I the only paranoid one afraid of being spammed to death... again!!!).

    You can email it to me at [email]myname1969hotmail.com[/email] (see below for my name) but Im a relative novice as well but I will see if I can help.

    cheers

    latchet
    latchet_mcbride@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    It's hard to know for sure without seeing it, but your description sounds like an envelope distortion.

    This is found on the Object menu; Object > Envelope Distortion > [options], and is used, as you describe to make an object fit into, or take on the shape of another object, (an 'envelope').

    If you're working on the original Illustrator file, select the object and choose Object > Envelope Distortion > Release. (If 'Release' is not available, either it was never an Envelope Distortion, or it may have started as one, and was subsequently expanded or rasterized.)

    Look it up in Help and experiment.

    I hope that helps.
    John Mensinger Guest

  4. #4

    ...your description sounds like an envelope distortion.

    Or just a non-rectangular text container.

    If so, ckoskyn, you can convert any closed path into a text container by using the area type tool. Alternately, you can start with a conventional rectangular text box and use Illustrator's path modification tools to alter its shape.

    =-= Harron =-=
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Carol

    I havnt been able to look at your file as my AI has crashed (see my fatel error post). If and when I get it back up I will see if I can help.

    Post here if one of the other suggestions solved the issue for you.

  6. #6

    Hi Carol

    Have been able to open the file at last. It appears the text box is just a manually constructed shape with text added using the "area type tool" which is under the "type" tool "T" on you tolls palate, just left click and hold to display the other options under this (and other) tool. You can apply text to any shape using this tool.

    The outer rectangle shape is the bounding box for the text.

    If you want to copy the shape then select it all and delete the text and past it into the next file etc.

    If this doesnt answer your question please clarifiy exactly what it is you want to te?

    Regards