Professional Web Applications Themes

Can strokes be gradated? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Teri, I knew the crop part was wrongly placed within the fill cluster; the screenshot was made after a sequence literally following the instructions in post #12. After reading your post, I realized that I should select Path (not mentioned) before the crop. Thank you for the follow up and explanation. And Kurt, thank you for sharing this excellent style....

  1. #21

    Default Re: Can strokes be gradated?

    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #22

    Teri, i am really curious to know if you new about this style beforehand?
    Dean_M@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #23

    It's a bit off topic, but just to underline that one can do astonishing things with AI's Pathfinder Effects, here is another example that is based on applying effects at the Layer level.

    Basically it is the idea of filling visual enclosed areas (intersecting open paths) without having to join the single paths first. Moreover, when moving the open paths around the filled area will update accordingly. Of course, AI 12 has the Live Paint Feature and the following technique is based on quite another principle, but anyway, it's worth a look. Here is a sample file that you might want to examine:

    <http://www.illustrator.hilfdirselbst.ch/Sonstiges/Fill_Visual_Enclosed_Areas.zip> (AI 10 format, ca. 70 kb)

    I've already posted that in the AI-Mac Forum a couple of weeks ago, but have missed to provide a step by step description. Fortunately, James was so kind to translate the sample file, so, if you're interested in, you can read it here:

    <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128.3bbc80cc>
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #24

    the screenshot was made after a sequence literally following the instructions
    in post #12. After reading your post, I realized that I should select
    Path (not mentioned) before the crop.

    That would be one way to do it. In Kurt's instructions, he first allowed it to be applied inside the fill and then moved it out:

    - In the Appearance Palette drag the Crop Pathfinder instance to the bottom
    of the palette (right above the row named Default Transparancy)

    Dean,

    Teri, i am really curious to know if you knew about this style beforehand?

    Depends on what you mean by "knew about." If someone had asked me how to create a graphic style that looked as if you had outlined a stroke and applied a gradient to it, I would have described those steps. It is obvious to me, but I had never thought before about someone having that particular need. (Most people who want gradients on strokes want them to follow the path, not to look like they are applied flat and clipped to the stroke.) Is that "knowing about" or not?

    There is a file named "Pathfinder_Strokes_9.ai" in my ftp folder that I put online back when the current version of Illustrator was 9.0 that uses very similar steps to make inside-only and outside-only strokes.
    Teri Guest

  5. #25

    Teri,

    Is that "knowing about" or not?

    Yes, that is definitely knowing about! It was just me being curious, thanks.

    I am not familiar with the pathfinder effects at all, but it's very very interesting to know there are some excellent things you can do with them. I just find it a bit confusing with all the different levels you can apply stuff to, e.g. layer level, stroke level, etc etc. I'm never really sure what all the combinations will result in, which you basically know the exact outcome, amazing. I guess I'll get a little better by just experimenting.
    Dean_M@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #26

    Teri, I se now: I had to drag it that tiny bit to overlap the border to the Default Transparency. Thank you again.

    Like Dean, I am entering this new land.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12