Professional Web Applications Themes

Can strokes be gradated? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Is there anyway to turn a stroke into a gradation? I'm going for a look where I have the main color gradation from black to white (top to bottom) and I want the white stroke around it to go white to black (top to bottom). Is there anyway to acheive this? Illustrator newb here....

  1. #1

    Default Can strokes be gradated?

    vice86@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can strokes be gradated?

    Vice,

    I believe the easiest way is to Object>Path>Outline Stroke and set Fill to Gradient (Linear, -90).
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I believe gradients can be applied to strokes directly in CS2 but not earlier
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    John, don't believe everything you hear.
    Dean_M@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    You're right I was wrong. I was mixing that up with InDesign
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    John, that's interesting, i didn't realize indesign could.
    Dean_M@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    If you are looking for an InDesign like grad on (editable) stroke, you can create an appearance set in the Appearance Palette that looks like this for example:

    Stroke
    - Colour 8 Pt
    - Outline Stroke
    Fill
    - Colour (Gradient)
    - Offset Path
    Crop

    As usual this appearance set can be defined as a graphic style. If anyone would like to examine it a bit closer, I have stored a rough sample file here (without comments, so look at the Appearance Palette):

    <http://illustrator.hilfdirselbst.ch/Sonstiges/Grad_on_Stroke_Style.zip>
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Kurt, that is wicked! Cheers for that.
    Dean_M@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Kurt,

    Should this work in 10?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Yes, Jacob, it will work in 10 (actually, it is done in 10 cause I'm on 10) and I'm pretty sure that even in 9 you will get it to work. Would you like to have a step by step description?
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Jacob, If you're having trouble getting it to work then it's probably the Pathfinder-Crop effect. Look at Kurts file carefully.
    Dean_M@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Kurt,

    Yes please. When I try to go through the steps in post #6, I just get an outlined (crossed out in Stroke) stroke with a gradient (Fill gradient), 2 lines in total, in Appearance. So it is worse, or rather, I am worse than you thought, Dean.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Here is how it is done, Jacob.

    - Draw any open or closed path, any stroke colour, stroke weight = 8 Pt, fill = any gradient

    - While the object is still selected, in the Appearance Palette select the stroke row, then go to Effect > Path > Outline Stroke

    - In the Appearance Palette select the (gradient) fill, then go to Effect > Path > Offset Path: Choose an Offset value of 20 Pt (you can use smaller or higher values as well depending on the stroke weights you're going to apply later if modifications are desired)

    - Next, go to Effect > Pathfinder > Crop (ignore the warning message that appears now)

    - In the Appearance Palette drag the Crop Pathfinder instance to the bottom of the palette (right above the row named Default Transparancy)

    Create a graphic style out of this appearance set, if you like so.
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    I must say Kurt that this is one of the best "tricks" i've seen for ages!

    How did you ever come across it?
    Dean_M@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Kurt,

    I end up with a lot of lines in the Appearance palette, and a solid black 8pt stroke.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    It worked for me with CS2. steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    I don't know about that…needs more bumbs! XD
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    I end up with a lot of lines in the Appearance palette, and a solid black
    8pt stroke.

    Most likely you're trying to create the appearance set, but for an unknown reason you're failing to set up the exact order in the Appearance Palette, Jacob. In order to get it to work, the exact order is important (see post 6 and 12). So, please look if you're mixing up one or more parts accidentally or, maybe a bit more comfortable, look at the sample file (post 6), select any of the objects in this file, then open the Appearance Palette and compare what you see then with the appearance set that does not work for you. The file is in AI 10 format.

    By the way, for open paths only, the Grad Stroke style can be created out of a less nested appearance set. Like this:

    • Stroke (no stroke colour)
    • Fill (gradient)
    • Offset Path

    But it will not work on closed path, that's why I suggested the Outline Stroke/Offset Path/Crop Pathfinder route.

    John Kallios

    If I took a plane right now, I could arrive right in front of your door in about 14 hours. So, you have enough time to leave town ;-)
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Kurt, this is what I have, as a screenshot:

    <http://www.bugge.com/Family-and-friends/Illy/Images/gradation.gif>
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Jacob,

    That is not the same structure that Kurt describes back in posts 6 and 12. In both of those posts, he specifies that the Crop effect should be at the whole object level, between the Fill and the Default Transparency line, not inside the Fill cluster.
    Teri Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast