Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't add new record to a form - Microsoft Access

I am using Access 2000. I created twp databases that are linked by one field. The first db is called "MDO" - the 2nd is "ECR", they are linked by one field [MDO], which is also the primary key. The primary key in the ECR DB is the [ECR] field. Both fields are considered "text" fields. I created a form to enter in the infomation for the MDO Db. I created a 2nd form to take part of the information from the MDO db and add additional inform that goes into the ECR Db. As long as I enter information ...

  1. #1

    Default Can't add new record to a form

    I am using Access 2000.

    I created twp databases that are linked by one field. The
    first db is called "MDO" - the 2nd is "ECR", they are
    linked by one field [MDO], which is also the primary key.
    The primary key in the ECR DB is the [ECR] field. Both
    fields are considered "text" fields.

    I created a form to enter in the infomation for the MDO
    Db. I created a 2nd form to take part of the information
    from the MDO db and add additional inform that goes into
    the ECR Db.
    As long as I enter information in the ECR form by calling
    up the MDO information first - everything works well. But
    I noticed that I could not add a new ECR form without the
    MDO information.

    So I created a 3rd form strictly from the ECR Table to add
    information into the ECR Db that did not require the MDO
    information. But I could not add new records. I keep
    getting a message that I am adding duplicate values in the
    index, primary key or relationships. But I have no
    relationships in this new form. In fact, I deleted all
    the relationships from the Db > Tools > Relationships.
    This form is based on the the ECR TAble Query and the
    primary field is an automatic number field. I do not
    enter that piece of information.

    When I looked at my ECR table in database view, I found a
    column at the beginning of the database that included
    small "plus signs" in front of all of the records. I
    don't know where this came from and I can't see to delete
    the column. But I have been playing with this problems
    for two days now and who knows what I have done.

    Does anyone know what the "plus signs" mean. Can anyone
    offer any suggestions????????

    Aurora
    Aurora Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't add new record to a form

    Click on the plus and you'll see the related data if it exists. In the
    table's Design View, Choose View ... Properties and turn off [Auto] in the
    SubdatasheetName (change it to [None]) and delete the link fields.

    You still may have the problem if your indexes do not allow duplicates. The
    tables either need to be linked, or not. The Primary Key in only 1 table can
    be an autonumber, if there is a relationship of one to one. If there is a
    relationship of one to many, the Primary Key in the first table must be a
    foreign key in the second table.
    --
    Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
    Microsoft Access

    "Aurora" <asonAOL.com> wrote in message
    > I am using Access 2000.
    >
    > I created twp databases that are linked by one field. The
    > first db is called "MDO" - the 2nd is "ECR", they are
    > linked by one field [MDO], which is also the primary key.
    > The primary key in the ECR DB is the [ECR] field. Both
    > fields are considered "text" fields.
    >
    > I created a form to enter in the infomation for the MDO
    > Db. I created a 2nd form to take part of the information
    > from the MDO db and add additional inform that goes into
    > the ECR Db.
    > As long as I enter information in the ECR form by calling
    > up the MDO information first - everything works well. But
    > I noticed that I could not add a new ECR form without the
    > MDO information.
    >
    > So I created a 3rd form strictly from the ECR Table to add
    > information into the ECR Db that did not require the MDO
    > information. But I could not add new records. I keep
    > getting a message that I am adding duplicate values in the
    > index, primary key or relationships. But I have no
    > relationships in this new form. In fact, I deleted all
    > the relationships from the Db > Tools > Relationships.
    > This form is based on the the ECR TAble Query and the
    > primary field is an automatic number field. I do not
    > enter that piece of information.
    >
    > When I looked at my ECR table in database view, I found a
    > column at the beginning of the database that included
    > small "plus signs" in front of all of the records. I
    > don't know where this came from and I can't see to delete
    > the column. But I have been playing with this problems
    > for two days now and who knows what I have done.
    >
    > Does anyone know what the "plus signs" mean. Can anyone
    > offer any suggestions????????
    >
    > Aurora

    Arvin Meyer Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:53:38 -0700, "Aurora" <asonAOL.com> wrote:
    >As long as I enter information in the ECR form by calling
    >up the MDO information first - everything works well. But
    >I noticed that I could not add a new ECR form without the
    >MDO information.
    well... exactly. That's precisely what relational integrity is
    designed to prevent: orphan records.

    Why not make the ECR form a Subform of the MDO form, using the linking
    field as the master/child link field? This takes care of it
    automatically!
    >Does anyone know what the "plus signs" mean. Can anyone
    >offer any suggestions????????
    The "plus signs" indicate a Subdatasheet: if you click on the plus on
    a record for which there exist linked records, you'll see the ECR
    records corresponding to the selected MDO (which you would also see on
    the Form/Subform suggested above). I suspect you deleted the *table
    icons* in the Relationships window; doing so does not remove the
    relationship (which is probably a good thing - I suspect that an ECR
    record without any corresponding MDO record would be an error, though
    not knowing your business that's only a hunch).

    John W. Vinson[MVP]
    Come for live chats every Tuesday and Thursday
    [url]http://go.compuserve.com/msdevapps?loc=us&access=public[/url]
    John Vinson Guest

  4. #4

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:53:38 -0700, "Aurora" <asonAOL.com> wrote:
    >I created twp databases that are linked by one field. The
    >first db is called "MDO" - the 2nd is "ECR", they are
    >linked by one field [MDO], which is also the primary key.
    >The primary key in the ECR DB is the [ECR] field. Both
    >fields are considered "text" fields.
    Two "Tables" please. It's just jargon, but you can confuse folks! A
    Database in Access is the .mdb file, a container for multiple Forms,
    Reports, Tables, Queries and so on.
    >I created a form to enter in the infomation for the MDO
    >Db. I created a 2nd form to take part of the information
    >from the MDO db and add additional inform that goes into
    >the ECR Db.
    It sounds like you're storing the MDO information redundantly in the
    ECR table. Don't! A relational database uses the "Grandmother's
    Pantry" principle: "a place - ONE place! - for everything, everything
    in its place". Store the link field ONLY, and if you need to see MDO
    information, use a Query or a Form/Subform or a Combo Box to display
    it.

  5. #5

    Thank you for your reply. I thought the x stood for a
    subform - Somehow I must have created that during one of
    my playing session. Since I am leaving for vacation
    today, I will not be able to try your suggestions until
    next month. Thank you again for replying.

    aurora
    <asonAOL.com> wrote:

    >>I created twp databases that are linked by one field.
    The
    >>first db is called "MDO" - the 2nd is "ECR", they are
    >>linked by one field [MDO], which is also the primary
    key.
    >>The primary key in the ECR DB is the [ECR] field. Both
    >>fields are considered "text" fields.
    >
    >Two "Tables" please. It's just jargon, but you can
    confuse folks! A
    >Database in Access is the .mdb file, a container for
    multiple Forms,
    >Reports, Tables, Queries and so on.
    >
    >>I created a form to enter in the infomation for the MDO
    >>Db. I created a 2nd form to take part of the
    information
    >>from the MDO db and add additional inform that goes into
    >>the ECR Db.
    >
    >It sounds like you're storing the MDO information
    redundantly in the
    >ECR table. Don't! A relational database uses
    the "Grandmother's
    >Pantry" principle: "a place - ONE place! - for
    everything, everything
    >in its place". Store the link field ONLY, and if you need
    to see MDO
    >information, use a Query or a Form/Subform or a Combo Box
    to display
    >it.
    >
    > John W. Vinson[MVP]
    > Come for live chats every Tuesday and Thursday
    >[url]http://go.compuserve.com/msdevapps?loc=us&access=public[/url]
    >.

    Aurora Guest

  6. #6

    I having a similar issue. I am working with Mircrosoft Access 2003 and I am unable to add a new record to my form. I only have 1 database and only one table and so I thought it should be very straight forward, but I am having issues. If anyone has any idea what I can try please respond. Thank you!
    Unregistered Guest