Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't associate .swf file types with Shockwave - Macromedia Shockwave

I have successfully installed Shockwave on my Windows XP Home, SP2 computer running IE7. I know because the little video ran succesfully. But the installed program never asked me if I wanted to associate .swf file types with the new Shockwave program, and when I right-click on the target file, shockwave is not offered as one of the program types to run the file with. I browsed to the Shockwave 10 directory to point the file type association to the shockwave executable, but there are only three executables in the directory: SwHelper_1030024.exe, UNWISE.EXE, and SwInit.exe. I googled all three and ...

  1. #1

    Default Can't associate .swf file types with Shockwave

    I have successfully installed Shockwave on my Windows XP Home, SP2 computer
    running IE7. I know because the little video ran succesfully. But the installed
    program never asked me if I wanted to associate .swf file types with the new
    Shockwave program, and when I right-click on the target file, shockwave is not
    offered as one of the program types to run the file with. I browsed to the
    Shockwave 10 directory to point the file type association to the shockwave
    executable, but there are only three executables in the directory:
    SwHelper_1030024.exe, UNWISE.EXE, and SwInit.exe. I googled all three and the
    executable with the best chance of running the program is SwInit.exe. But when
    I click on it, nothing happens. Also when I Googled it, the info I got back was
    that it was some sort of 'remote control' program (whatever that means). So my
    current status is that I have successfully installed the program, but can find
    no way to actually run it. (BTW: I have a plain vanilla computer. Nothing
    exotic. Running Norton 360 and disconnected all the security features before
    installing the program.) Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me on
    this! Tim

    1Tim Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't associate .swf file types with Shockwave

    Shockwave is for playing Director .dcr files in your browser, *not*
    Flash .swf files. You need the Flash plugin.
    Sean Wilson Guest

  3. #3

    I have installed both Shockwave adn Flash, supposedly successfully, but also cannot run .swf files from my hard drive. Any ideas?
    jkhsf Guest

  4. #4

    I have the same question:

    I click on a file with a type: "ShockwaveFlash.ShockwavelFlash" it doesn't
    play and there is no way to associate the file to either FlashPlayer or
    Shockwave as neither appears in the list of available software. However both
    appear when I access the installed programs through the control panel.

    Flankmasterke Guest

  6. #6

    I have the same problem and it's driving me nuts. I've done a complete
    standalone uninstall and reinstall of both Adobe Flash and Shockwave Flash,
    and cleaned out the registry. Althogh the Adobe website confirms that both are
    functioning correctly, I cannot find either of the apps on my PC so that I may
    associate the .swf file type with an application. Neither is presented as an
    option and I can't navigate to either. Time for a big-brainer to step in here
    with that special knowledge I need.

    reynoldsrt Guest