Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't boot - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have been running Linux 7.2 w/ Apache and SSL happily for some months now. Today I could not access the web pages and I refreshed the router. Still no access, so I rebooted. Now I cannot get a full restart. I get past Init: 2.78 booting and Welcome to Red Hat. I get mounting proc filesystem, unmount initrd, config kernal parameters, setting clock, loading default keymap, setting font, and activate swap partition - all OK. Then it sets hostname localhost.localdomain and it hangs never to get past that. I have no idea what to do. I have restarted several ...

  1. #1

    Default Can't boot

    I have been running Linux 7.2 w/ Apache and SSL happily for some
    months now. Today I could not access the web pages and I refreshed
    the router. Still no access, so I rebooted. Now I cannot get a full
    restart.

    I get past Init: 2.78 booting and Welcome to Red Hat.
    I get mounting proc filesystem, unmount initrd, config kernal
    parameters, setting clock, loading default keymap, setting font, and
    activate swap partition - all OK.
    Then it sets hostname localhost.localdomain and it hangs never to get
    past that.

    I have no idea what to do. I have restarted several times. I
    unplugged to try to drain for a while. I can't get past hostname.

    People are trying to use this site. I'm a bit desperate.

    Ken
    Ken Loomis Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't boot

    P.S. I get to the same spot when booting from the boot disk.

    Also, Red Hat says to press 'I' to go to interactive setup. I presume
    that's an uppercase i, but it gets me nowhere.

    Ken

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:04:09 -0400, Ken Loomis
    <kloomisnotarealaddress.com> wrote:
    >I have been running Linux 7.2 w/ Apache and SSL happily for some
    >months now. Today I could not access the web pages and I refreshed
    >the router. Still no access, so I rebooted. Now I cannot get a full
    >restart.
    >
    >I get past Init: 2.78 booting and Welcome to Red Hat.
    >I get mounting proc filesystem, unmount initrd, config kernal
    >parameters, setting clock, loading default keymap, setting font, and
    >activate swap partition - all OK.
    >Then it sets hostname localhost.localdomain and it hangs never to get
    >past that.
    >
    >I have no idea what to do. I have restarted several times. I
    >unplugged to try to drain for a while. I can't get past hostname.
    >
    >People are trying to use this site. I'm a bit desperate.
    >
    >Ken
    Ken Loomis Guest

  3. #3

    Ken Loomis <kloomisnotarealaddress.com> wrote:
    > I have no idea what to do.
    Start in single user (at the boot: or LILO: prompt type linux single
    or linux 1) and check out the /var/log/messages to see what's the
    problem.

    Davide
    Davide Bianchi Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks Davide:

    I don't know where to do that. The system boots and then a Red Hat
    Grub sceen comes up that asks for the config and then it flies off to
    start stuff up.

    When do I get a chance to enter the command?

    On 29 Aug 2003 17:31:44 GMT, Davide Bianchi
    <davideyeahsureonlyforfun.net> wrote:
    >Ken Loomis <kloomisnotarealaddress.com> wrote:
    >> I have no idea what to do.
    >
    >Start in single user (at the boot: or LILO: prompt type linux single
    >or linux 1) and check out the /var/log/messages to see what's the
    >problem.
    >
    >Davide
    Ken Loomis Guest

  5. #5

    Ken Loomis <kloomisnotarealaddress.com> wrote:
    > Grub sceen comes up
    Hummm... I've never used grub, so you'd better check grub
    doentation about how to boot in single user mode. There must
    be a way, otherwise you have to boot with a CD in "rescue mode".

    Davide
    Davide Bianchi Guest

  6. #6

    BTW, CNTL-C takes me to "Bringing up interface lo: " and then
    it hangs again.

    Ken

    On 29 Aug 2003 17:31:44 GMT, Davide Bianchi
    <davideyeahsureonlyforfun.net> wrote:
    >Ken Loomis <kloomisnotarealaddress.com> wrote:
    >> I have no idea what to do.
    >
    >Start in single user (at the boot: or LILO: prompt type linux single
    >or linux 1) and check out the /var/log/messages to see what's the
    >problem.
    >
    >Davide
    Ken Loomis Guest

  7. #7

    Davide Bianchi wrote:
    > Ken Loomis <kloomisnotarealaddress.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Grub sceen comes up
    >

    > Hummm... I've never used grub, so you'd better check grub
    > doentation about how to boot in single user mode. There must
    > be a way, otherwise you have to boot with a CD in "rescue mode".
    >
    > Davide
    Select the kernel to boot with, hit "e" to edit, then select the boot
    line and hit "e" to edit that, then add "1" to the end, then hit "b" or
    maybe hit escape first, then "b".

    There are some helpful hints on the pages involved. Because Grub is
    running out of "/boot" instead out of the extremely limited MBR program
    space, it allws a lot more flexibility in its options.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  8. #8

    If I hit CTRL-C I get to this:
    /etc/rc.d/rc: /var/run/runlevel.dir: Read-only file system

    Does that help?

    Ken

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 00:34:58 GMT, Nico Kadel-Garcia
    <nkadelverizon.net> wrote:
    >Davide Bianchi wrote:
    >
    >> Ken Loomis <kloomisnotarealaddress.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Grub sceen comes up
    >>

    >> Hummm... I've never used grub, so you'd better check grub
    >> doentation about how to boot in single user mode. There must
    >> be a way, otherwise you have to boot with a CD in "rescue mode".
    >>
    >> Davide
    >
    >Select the kernel to boot with, hit "e" to edit, then select the boot
    >line and hit "e" to edit that, then add "1" to the end, then hit "b" or
    >maybe hit escape first, then "b".
    >
    >There are some helpful hints on the pages involved. Because Grub is
    >running out of "/boot" instead out of the extremely limited MBR program
    >space, it allws a lot more flexibility in its options.
    Ken Loomis Guest

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Ken Loomis Guest