Professional Web Applications Themes

can't boot linux anymore - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I would like to exchange my machine with another one, and I feel that the easiest way is to swap the 2 hard disks. The problem is the new machine doesn't want to boot on the exchanged disk. On the former machine, the disk was master and on the first connector (the kernel was on hda3). In the new machine, the disk is connected in the same way (at least when I boot with the boot cd a "fdisk /dev/hda" shows me the disk) but the boot does not complete. I get the grub prompt, boot, but it seems to ...

  1. #1

    Default can't boot linux anymore

    I would like to exchange my machine with another one, and I feel that
    the easiest way is to swap the 2 hard disks. The problem is the new
    machine doesn't want to boot on the exchanged disk. On the former
    machine, the disk was master and on the first connector (the kernel was
    on hda3). In the new machine, the disk is connected in the same way (at
    least when I boot with the boot cd a "fdisk /dev/hda" shows me the disk)
    but the boot does not complete. I get the grub prompt, boot, but it
    seems to freeze after the irq probing (or before showing the list of
    processes/deamons being started). I use redhat7.3.
    Does someone have any idea of why the new machine can not boot the
    exchanged disk? (the new machine is only 1 year newer).
    Thank you

    Nico

    nico Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: can't boot linux anymore

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:14:06 -0800, nico wrote:

    A shot in the dark...
    I had this problem on a laptop I was testing. I fixed it by updating the
    BIOS.

    You might want to install the latest kernel for RH7.3, also. You
    could perform this update from the rescue mode on the first setup CD.
    ThI am assuming from your statements above that the setup CD boots into a
    rescue mode where you can transfer the kernel RPMs to your disk. Be
    careful.

    --
    Douglas Mayne
    Douglas Guest

  3. #3

    Douglas Mayne wrote:

    > A shot in the dark...
    > I had this problem on a laptop I was testing. I fixed it by updating the
    > BIOS.[/ref]

    The disk is older than the machine (1 year older), so I imagine updating
    the bios wouldn't help.

    The kernel on the disk is quite recent. The disk was on another machine
    before, which I tried to keep up-to-date.The machine I want to move to
    is 2 years old, the other one is 3 years old. So it's not old hardware.
    In rescue mode, I can mount the disk and access all the data. In normal
    mode, I can get past GRUB, so the disk is recognized...

    nico Guest

  4. #4

    > I would like to exchange my machine with another one, and I feel that

    Hmm. I would not have been surprised if there was a geometry mismatch.
    It would fail sooner though.

    Check cabling and jumpers. Perhaps the old BIOS was less picky?

    Eric
    Eric Guest

  5. #5

    nico wrote:

    .... COULD be the cabling - i've seen sleazo-cheap cables
    ruin more peoples' day :) however, let it be known that
    it's quite possible the different in h/w configuration
    between the machines you switched out.

    have you tried booting using 'safe mode'?
    ..
    War is menstruation envy.

    mjt Guest

  6. #6

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:30:30 -0700, nico wrote:

    > The kernel on the disk is quite recent. The disk was on another machine
    > before, which I tried to keep up-to-date.The machine I want to move to
    > is 2 years old, the other one is 3 years old. So it's not old hardware.
    > In rescue mode, I can mount the disk and access all the data. In normal
    > mode, I can get past GRUB, so the disk is recognized...
    >[/ref]
    Please post your exact hardware configuration and kernel version and any
    other details that might be helpful.

    Another shot in the dark...
    Put the most recent kernel for RH7.3 on a floppy disk. kernel 2.4.20-20.7
    is available for several architectures from the RedHat site or mirrors.
    Check what happens when you boot it directly. This would show if there is
    a problem with the kernel on your hard disk. The fact that the kernel
    used to rescue/setup starts shows your hardware probably is fine. Find
    what works, so you can zero in on what is broken.

    --
    Douglas Mayne
    Douglas Guest