Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't boot RedHat 9.0 (neither with grub nor with lilo) - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi, I try to setup a linux server with RedHat 9.0, but I'm not able to boot the system. Neither with lilo nor with grub I can boot after the complete installation. I have Promise SX4000 IDE Raid Level 5 controller with 4 HD and an adaptec aic-7890 onboard SCSI-Controller with one 9GB HD for the system. I decide on the following device settings: system disc connected with adaptec SCSI-Controller: /dev/sda /dev/sda1 100MB /boot ext3 /dev/sda2 8,1GB / ext3 /dev/sda3 512MB swap RAID Level 5 on Promise Controller /dev/sdb /dev/sdb1 480GB LVM PV Unforunatelly my kernel is to big to ...

  1. #1

    Default Can't boot RedHat 9.0 (neither with grub nor with lilo)

    Hi,

    I try to setup a linux server with RedHat 9.0, but I'm not able to
    boot the system.

    Neither with lilo nor with grub I can boot after the complete
    installation.
    I have Promise SX4000 IDE Raid Level 5 controller with 4 HD and an
    adaptec aic-7890 onboard SCSI-Controller with one 9GB HD for the
    system.

    I decide on the following device settings:
    system disc connected with adaptec SCSI-Controller:
    /dev/sda
    /dev/sda1 100MB /boot ext3
    /dev/sda2 8,1GB / ext3
    /dev/sda3 512MB swap
    RAID Level 5 on Promise Controller
    /dev/sdb
    /dev/sdb1 480GB LVM PV

    Unforunatelly my kernel is to big to put it on a 1.44 disc. I prepare
    a kernel only with the adaptec driver, so I can access the system
    without the promise driver.

    The first test with grub i get after switching on the system a no
    system disc failure. With lilo I tried with a ext3 and ext2 partition
    on /dev/sda1 but after I switch on my server I get nothing. No LILO no
    LI! Looks like lilo isn't installed. Is this the 1024-cylinder
    problem? With an second try with grub it's now the same with lilo. The
    system simply stops.

    Any suggestion how to boot linux is highly appreatiated (RH-Linux
    should be the only system).

    Thanks
    Roland
    Roland Guest

  2. #2

    Roland wrote:

    This should not be a problem with /boot at the bottom of the drive.
    Please post an exact copy of /etc/lilo.conf.
    BTW, did you remember to run /sbin/lilo after configuring?
    Also check your BIOS to be sure it's booting SCSI first.

    Anthony Guest

  3. #3

    "Roland" <de> wrote in message

    I think the most likely thing that you did was replace the kernel without
    then reinstalling lilo.

    You can repair the lilo installation by booting the Redhat boot CD and
    choosing 'rescue'.
    It will then find the root partition and mount all the partitions it can .

    So then you have the directory tree at /mnt/tmp.. or something like that.

    then run
    /sbin/lilo -r /mnt/tmp -v

    -r means 'chroot' ... to make it easy to tell it to treat /mnt/tmp as /

    and it reinstalls lilo...

    Leon. Guest

  4. #4

    RH distributes a LILO that is >3 years out of date.

    Current version 22.5.8 would have a better chance of booting this system.

    --John

    JohnInSD Guest

  5. #5

    Yes, it seems Redhat doesn't care about maintaining an up to date lilo
    now that grub is their default boot loader.

    Cheers,

    JohnInSD At san DOT rr dot COM wrote:

    >[/ref]

    Chris Guest

  6. #6

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 03:00:20 GMT, JohnInSD At san DOT rr dot COM
    <com> Gave us:

    Uhhh... Two years out of date, max. I remember the last change.

    Top posting in Usenet is retarded. Doing so from within an advanced
    news client, even more so.

    You want to follow norms and standards? Bone up on Usenet, Chucko.
    DarkMatter Guest

  7. #7

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 03:16:53 GMT, Chris Mauritz <net> Gave
    us:

    Exactly. Also, Grub should be able to handle this task.

    It is probably a mere BIOS boot setup choice, and a "where to load
    Lilo or Grub at." thing.
    DarkMatter Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks for your quick and detailed answer. I found my problem, and it
    was my sillines not Grub/Lilo. The problem was the order of the
    controllers. The installation was ok but the promise controller was in
    the booting sequence before the Adaptec SCSI-Controller. As the system
    was installed on a HD connected to the SCSI-Controller it couldn't
    work.

    After I wrote in my posting that no letter of LILO is appearing I
    rethought my setup and I found it!

    Thank you all,
    Roland

    Chris Mauritz <net> wrote in message news:<FcrIb.40410$srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...

    > >[/ref][/ref]
    Roland Guest

  9. #9

    "DarkMatter" <org> wrote in message

    > Uhhh... Two years out of date, max. I remember the last change.
    >
    > Top posting in Usenet is retarded. Doing so from within an advanced
    > news client, even more so.
    >
    > You want to follow norms and standards? Bone up on Usenet, Chucko.[/ref]

    Top Posting retarded?? What is retarded is having to scroll to the bottom
    of every lengthy message to have to read some useless snipet of a response.

    jch Guest

  10. #10

    In comp.os.linux.setup jch <com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Nothing. But then you don't, because you are not supposed to put the
    response after the MESSAGE, but after the QUESTION. Top posting and
    bottom posting are as bad as each other.

    In summary - learn to edit. And put your response directly AFTER the
    thing it is a response to.

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  11. #11

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 09:25:10 -0500, "jch" <com> Gave us:

    >> Uhhh... Two years out of date, max. I remember the last change.
    >>
    >> Top posting in Usenet is retarded. Doing so from within an advanced
    >> news client, even more so.
    >>
    >> You want to follow norms and standards? Bone up on Usenet, Chucko.[/ref]
    >
    >Top Posting retarded?? What is retarded is having to scroll to the bottom
    >of every lengthy message to have to read some useless snipet of a response.
    >[/ref]
    Having sufficiently made my point, I'll respond normally. The Chinese
    and Israeli customs of writing differently aren't examples of why you
    should defy convention. Rather, they'd actually be examples of why
    you shouldn't. Would you learn to write in Hebrew, only to then
    insist that everyone write from the left to the right? No, I should
    think not. That language has been built on the opposite method of
    writing, and that is the method that should be honored, until such
    time that necessity requires change.

    To return to the original point, I do not think there is anything
    about usenet posts that would make top-posting desirable. There is
    no reason to change the top-to-bottom convention which has otherwise
    served western language very well. I am open to changes in language
    conventions as they are needed, but I think much more would have to
    change for top-posting to be considered efficient.

    That is a quote from alt.video.dvd by someone with an IQ above 35.

    Usenet is not your friggin e-mail, dingledorf. If you claim to be
    standard conformal, then in' conform.

    If you are one of those "rules are meant to be broken" twits, the
    BONE UP or take a friggin hike, boy.

    Now. Read it again. Top posting IS retarded.

    Do you know what the word means even? Most of the twits TOFQU
    (text over, full quote under) making them even MORE retarded.

    When you INTERLOPE yourself into a forum, you should at least TRY to
    respect the conventions of that forum. If not, you deserve whatever
    chastising you get from the peers in said forum that DO follow the
    conventions.

    You don't just get to pick and choose, and sluff off the rest
    because you are too goddamned lazy to scroll to the chronological end
    of the post, which is where the NEW material should be found.
    DarkMatter Guest

  12. #12

    > >> Top posting in Usenet is retarded. Doing so from within an advanced
    > >
    > >Top Posting retarded?? What is retarded is having to scroll to the[/ref][/ref]
    bottom [/ref]
    response.
    above 35.

    Feel free to "interlope" yourself into another forum unless you have
    something useful to say. Who in their right mind would keep such meaningless
    quotes as those you displayed above? I guess they were your own.

    jch Guest

  13. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    DarkMatter Guest
    Moderated Post

  14. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Charles Guest
    Moderated Post

  15. #15

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 00:47:28 GMT, Charles LaCour
    <homelinux.com> Gave us:

    They should also respect convention, you criminal mindset retard.
    DarkMatter Guest

  16. #16

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 00:47:28 GMT, Charles LaCour
    <homelinux.com> Gave us:

    They did not change convention. They had a vision, and *defined* as
    yet unknown conventions.
    DarkMatter Guest

  17. #17

    DarkMatter wrote:

    > They did not change convention. They had a vision, and *defined* as
    > yet unknown conventions.[/ref]
    Yes they did.

    In the case of Einstein the conventional wisdom was that space and time
    were seperate and immutable. With relitivity he joined them in to a
    single entity of space time that change depending on the observers frame
    of referance. Also annother convention of the time he did not follow is
    that energy is continously varable but his work on the photo-electric
    effect, the research that he got his Nobel prize for, showed that energy
    comes in discrete amounts caled quanta.

    Galileo went against the conventional idea that the earth was the center
    of the universe.

    As for definitions a convention is defined as "A practice or procedure
    widely observed in a group, especially to facilitate social interaction;
    a custom."

    Conventions are not static, they are evolving. The evolution of
    conventions would not occure if someone did not question and see beyond
    the current conventions to find these yet unknown conventions.

    --
    Thanks
    Charles LaCour

  18. #18

    DarkMatter wrote:

    > They should also respect convention, you criminal mindset retard.[/ref]
    Respect is earned not an inherent attribute. The respect and following
    of convention is not a bad thing but to blindly follow is to be doomed
    to repeat what others have done and never progress as individuals or as
    a society. What you consider a criminal mindset has been shared by many
    of the great thinkers in history.

    Spouting rhetoric and having to resort to insults instead of thinking
    for your self is no way to convert thinking people to your ideas.

    This is not the time or place for this kind of discussion. I will not
    be able to change your mind and I am not into wasting time in dissusions
    with someone who is not going to listen with an open mind. I have seen
    your previous post where you let people know what your ideas and
    opinions are and anyone that disagrees with you is retarded. I wonder
    if you are this abrupt and abusive in person or has the anonymity of the
    Internet allowed you to lash out without fear of reprisal.

    --
    Charles LaCour
    Charles Guest

  19. #19

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 15:20:23 +0000, P.T. Breuer wrote:
     [/ref]

    > Nothing. But then you don't, because you are not supposed to put the
    > response after the MESSAGE, but after the QUESTION. Top posting and
    > bottom posting are as bad as each other.[/ref]

    To clarify: In the "scroll to bottom of long message to read useless
    response" situation, the *real* problem is that the poster quoted a
    bunch of crap without editing out the parts that they weren't replying
    to. Under *that* cirstance, top-posting is bad but bottom-posting
    is even worse.

    Like this message, for instance.

    Ed Guest

  20. #20

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 03:24:58 GMT, Charles LaCour
    <homelinux.com> Gave us:

    USENET earned it, years ago. DECADES AGO.

    It is the twits that NEVER gave it that ARE the problem!

    GTFUCYMMWTU
    DarkMatter Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast