Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't change font, character count says 0, but font IS USED in doc - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I go to "Find Font...", highlight Avenir 85 Heavy (which is definitely used in the file), put the font I want to change to in the lower section, click on "Change All" and the dialogue box flashes but nothing changes. The Avenir Heavy 85 doesn't go away and the font doesn't change. When I look at "More Info", it says my character count is 0, which is definitely not true. It's happening to several files and is affecting Avenir and Frutiger for sure. Any ideas?...

  1. #1

    Default Can't change font, character count says 0, but font IS USED in doc

    Paul_Francis@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Assuming you're only having a problem with this one file, export it as InDesign Interchange (INX), then reopen it.

    If it's happening with more than one file, it could be a corrupted font. Replace the font.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    If its in an EPS file you will never change it.
    Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Which version of InDesign?

    It sounds as though you might be afflicted with the last-insertion-point-picks-up-a-weird-font issue. This is most likely to happen if you have been copying text out of one story into stand-alone text frames.

    Try this:

    1. With one of these doents open, go to Find Font.
    2. Select the allegedly missing font in the list.
    3. Click Find First.

    If you can't see anything selected in the layout, then close Find Font and hit Command-Y to fire-up the story editor. Is the very last insertion point active? If so, then that's the problem.

    The way I resolve it is:

    a. If the last character is a return, delete it.

    b. If the last character is not a return, assign to the insertion point the font/style of the last paragraph.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Sometimes simply command-xing everything then pasting in place has worked for me! Odd one, but there you go. Also, are you selecting font style as well as font family? Make sure.

    Lastly, apart from .inx, you can paste in place in a new doent. That sometimes works too.
    DavidT Guest

  6. #6

    We are having problems with many files with this situation. We have already had the font reinstalled.

    It has nothing to do with being an EPS file -- these are fonts used natively in InDesign.

    We are using InDesign CS2.

    Going to Find First highlights nothing, but when I close Find Font and type Command+Y, nothing happens (Story Editor does not open). Also, to repeat, the font IS used in the doent. I can highlight it. It shows up in the font palette. It's not an errant last insertion point problem. We haven't been copying into frames.

    Command-Xing then pasting in place does not work, but copying and pasting into a new doent does work (not an elegant solution, but thanks DavidT).

    Don't know if this will help solve, but the problem happens when we repurpose existing mechanicals by what we call "pulling forward" i.e. option+dragging an InDesign file to a different folder on the same server, changing the file name and making edits to the new file for our client.
    Paul_Francis@adobeforums.com Guest