Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't color text - Illustrator 10 - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Sometimes when I go to change the color of text it simply won't change. I can change the outline color, but the fill won't budge. Even stranger: when I select the text the inkwell shows the color I selected but the text remains the old color....

  1. #1

    Default Can't color text - Illustrator 10

    dog_bot@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't color text - Illustrator 10

    dog:

    Look at the appearance palette. If you have an added fill and it's below the "character" item, you're re-coloring the added fill and it's below/behind the character fill. Try selecting the text with the type tool as opposed to the selection tool and change it there, or drag the additional fill to the top of the appearance palette.

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  3. #3

    I don't refer to the Appearnce palette that often so I clear all the color from the text - no fill, no stroke - and start over.
    pcinsc@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    pcinsc:

    That's like walking because you're scared of the controls in a car.

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  5. #5

    How did you know about that?
    pcinsc@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    hunch
    Bert Guest

  7. #7

    That happends to me somtimes also. But in my struggle to figure it out i ended up converting text to outlines ungrouping and THEN it lets me change the color Why is that???
    Kelly_R@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Kelly,

    Do you really want to know?? :)

    Let's say you have a text object "AB" with a red fill at the text object level, and a black fill at the character level. So internally it looks like this:

    Text Object [Fill=Red]
    A [Fill=Black]
    B [Fill=Black]

    If the A or B is selected in text editing mode, the palettes show (and modify) the black fill they carry, and when the whole text object is selected with an arrow tool, the palettes show (and modify) the red fill that it carries.

    The Appearance palette can be used to control which of the two colors is in front, by dragging the rows similar to how you do with objects in the Layers palette. In the Appearance palette, if the Text object's fill is above the Character fill, then it will look red on the screen, and any colors applied to the text characters will be obscured. If the Character fill is above the Text object's fill, then it will look black on screen.

    You can always change either color by making the appropriate selection, it's just that if the top fill is opaque, you can't see the bottom one. (You can see this more easily by making the fill on the text object be partly transparent and the fill on the character level be something lighter like yellow or cyan.)

    Now suppose you Outline your type. Then it goes to this structure:

    Group [Fill=Red]
    Compound Path for A [Fill=Black]
    Compound Path for B [Fill=Black]

    When you do an Ungroup, the red fill vanishes along with the group it is attached to.

    Simply clicking on the Remove Appearance button is the better way to get rid of the extra fill.

    To prevent this happening accidentally in AI 10 (or AI 9), double-click on the Eyedropper tool and turn off the Appearance options, leaving the tool to pick up Fill and Stroke only. Accidental application of color to text objects or groups almost always stems from using the Eyedropper tool.

    pcinsc,

    The Appearance palette is cool. You should really get familiar with all it can do.

    There is a file called "Group Paint.ai" in this folder that shows how fills and strokes at the Group or Text Object level can be used to advantage.

    ftp://tpettit.best.vwh.net/AI_10_Style_demos.zip
    Teri Guest

  9. #9

    Thank YOU!!
    Kelly_R@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Teri
    I'm very familiar with it. The way I do things I just don't rely on it that much.
    pcinsc@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    WOW! just a little question to answer a tiny thing that has bothered me for eons and a whole world of possibilities opens up!

    Thanks so much for your reponse.

    DogBot
    dog_bot@adobeforums.com Guest