Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't Connect to FTP, Need Help - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

For the past 2 years I have connected to our ftp site through Microsoft Frontpage. I just bought Macromedia Dreamweaver/Contribute as an upgrade, but have been unable to connect. I get the following error when I try to connect: Contribute could not find the server "ftp://www.x.com/". Please check your connection information. I then went back into Microsoft Frontpage, and was able to get in from there. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. We don't have a firewall, I've got the username and password correct...I just don't get it. Contribute asks: How do you connect to your web ...

  1. #1

    Default Can't Connect to FTP, Need Help

    For the past 2 years I have connected to our ftp site through Microsoft
    Frontpage. I just bought Macromedia Dreamweaver/Contribute as an
    upgrade, but have been unable to connect. I get the following error
    when I try to connect: Contribute could not find the server
    "ftp://www.x.com/". Please check your connection information.

    I then went back into Microsoft Frontpage, and was able to get in from
    there. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. We don't have a
    firewall, I've got the username and password correct...I just don't get
    it.

    Contribute asks:
    How do you connect to your web server? I selected FTP.

    What is the name of your FTP Server? I put in
    [url]ftp://www.x.com[/url]

    What is the FTP username? I put in my username.

    What is the FTP password? I put in the password.

    I hit Next, and it says "Contribute could not find the
    server "ftp://www.x.com/". Please check your
    connection information.

    Any ideas?
    Thanks!

    Z-Burns Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't Connect to FTP, Need Help

    Z-Burns wrote:
    > For the past 2 years I have connected to our ftp site through Microsoft
    > Frontpage. I just bought Macromedia Dreamweaver/Contribute as an
    > upgrade, but have been unable to connect. I get the following error
    > when I try to connect: Contribute could not find the server
    > "ftp://www.x.com/". Please check your connection information.
    >
    > I then went back into Microsoft Frontpage, and was able to get in from
    > there. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. We don't have a
    > firewall, I've got the username and password correct...I just don't get
    > it.
    >
    > Contribute asks:
    > How do you connect to your web server? I selected FTP.
    >
    > What is the name of your FTP Server? I put in
    > [url]ftp://www.x.com[/url]
    >
    > What is the FTP username? I put in my username.
    >
    > What is the FTP password? I put in the password.
    >
    > I hit Next, and it says "Contribute could not find the
    > server "ftp://www.x.com/". Please check your
    > connection information.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > Thanks!

    Did you try changing address to [url]www.x.com?[/url]
    Art Shotwell Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Art...That worked! Well, sort of. Now it is asking me:
    "On the ftp server, what folder contains your website?" It defaults to my ftp
    username (./username/), so I hit next, and it says "Contribute cannot verify
    your connection information. The path given does not match the provides
    website's home page or there may be a permissions problem."
    I again cannot figure out what it wants...Any idea on this one? Thanks so
    much

    Z-Burns Guest

  4. #4

    Z-Burns wrote:
    > Thanks Art...That worked! Well, sort of. Now it is asking me:
    > "On the ftp server, what folder contains your website?" It defaults to my ftp
    > username (./username/), so I hit next, and it says "Contribute cannot verify
    > your connection information. The path given does not match the provides
    > website's home page or there may be a permissions problem."
    > I again cannot figure out what it wants...Any idea on this one? Thanks so
    > much

    Well, it's probably something like /public_html or could be something
    else. If you've got an FTP program you could log in and see where the
    main file, index.htm or index.html is located. If you don't have an FTP
    program, you should probably get one...as a sort of back up.
    Art Shotwell Guest

  5. #5

    It tried to connect and says "Contribute cannot verify your connection
    information. The path given does not match the provided website's homepage, or
    there may be a permissions problem." Any ideas? Thanks.

    Z-Burns Guest

  6. #6

    Z-Burns wrote:
    > It tried to connect and says "Contribute cannot verify your connection
    > information. The path given does not match the provided website's homepage, or
    > there may be a permissions problem." Any ideas? Thanks.

    Okay, let's back up a step. When you create a new connection in C3, you
    can fill in an address for the Web site or you can browse. So, make sure
    you browse to the Web site. As to the folder, it may either be blank or
    something like /public_html. Or, in your case, you could have incorrect
    login info.

    Again, I suggest you download a free FTP program and try connecting that
    way. If it connects, you know your login info is correct. And, you can
    go locate the correct startup folder, the one with index.htm or
    default.htm in it. If it doesn't connect, then you have incorrect login
    info.
    Art Shotwell Guest

  7. #7

    I downloaded the ftp program as you suggested. My username and password is correct, and I see the startup folder. I put the info in, and still get the same message.

    I'm at a loss!
    Z-Burns Guest

  8. #8

    Z-Burns wrote:
    > I downloaded the ftp program as you suggested. My username and password is correct, and I see the startup folder. I put the info in, and still get the same message.
    >
    > I'm at a loss!
    Okay, I'm at a loss, too.
    Art Shotwell Guest

  9. #9

    This could be a DNS problem or could be because your FTP server is not pointing
    directly to your Web Server

    Try to go to Windows Start Button > Run; type cmd. Type ping [url]www.****[/url] (your
    domain name) - you should get the IP Address of your server; use that when
    specifying your ftp server in contribute.

    if it does not work, using your ftp program, upload a simple text file to the
    root of your website.. then visit it in your browser (<a target=_blank
    class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge
    href="http://www.****/filename.txt)">http://www.****/filename.txt)</a> - if you
    get a page cannot be found, then your ftp server is not pointing to the correct
    webserver. you need to contact your web host

    MarkuzAddiktuz Guest

  10. #10

    i'm having the same problem of the final stages of contribute website set up.
    it's asking me what server i want to connect to and when i select publuc_html
    as it asks, the connection error pups up.

    anyone?

    bryansoto Guest

  11. #11

    Try leaving "On the ftp server, what folder contains your website?" this blank.
    codeshop Guest

  12. #12

    This sounds crazy, but do not use the connection wizard to set up your connection to the FTP server. You need to open the page/site in Contribute and then try to connect to it. There must be some validation that runs in the connection wizard that does not run when you connect the other way.
    Unregistered Guest