Professional Web Applications Themes

can't create directory from web service - ASP.NET Web Services

Using the Directory object I issue a createdirectory command and get an exception: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "V:\". I get this error whether I use UNC or drive mapping. I started getting this error once I deployed the webservice to my server. It works fine when running locally. Any help?? Thanks in advance, Marc...

  1. #1

    Default can't create directory from web service

    Using the Directory object I issue a createdirectory
    command and get an exception:
    System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a
    part of the path "V:\".

    I get this error whether I use UNC or drive mapping. I
    started getting this error once I deployed the webservice
    to my server. It works fine when running locally.

    Any help??

    Thanks in advance,
    Marc
    Marc Pensa Guest

  2. #2

    Default RE: can't create directory from web service

    Hi Marc,

    By default, the Aspnet_wp.exe process runs under a computer account named
    ASPNET. However, this account does not have the required privileges to
    create directory on a remote server. So you may do impersonation before
    creating the directory. Here is an article about how to impersonate in
    ASP.NET. Please check it for your reference.

    INFO: Implementing Impersonation in an ASP.NET Application
    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306158[/url]

    Please let me know if you need more information. Thanks

    Best regards,
    Lewis

    --------------------
    | From: "Marc Pensa" <marc.pensazurichna.com>
    | Sender: "Marc Pensa" <marc.pensazurichna.com>
    | Subject: can't create directory from web service
    | Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 14:49:56 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es
    |
    | Using the Directory object I issue a createdirectory
    | command and get an exception:
    | System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a
    | part of the path "V:\".
    |
    | I get this error whether I use UNC or drive mapping. I
    | started getting this error once I deployed the webservice
    | to my server. It works fine when running locally.
    |
    | Any help??
    |
    | Thanks in advance,
    | Marc

    Lewis Wang [MSFT] Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Marc,

    Based on the description, it's difficult to find where the problem is. To
    work out this issue, I need to know more information.

    1. Can you create directory using the UNC path from the server?
    2. Would you please tell me how you set the privilege for the web service?
    3. How do you configure the IIS, web.config and machine.config?
    Thanks.

    Lewis

    --------------------
    | From: Marc Pensa <marc.pensazurichna.com>
    | Subject: Re: can't create directory from web service
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es
    | Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:02:55 -0700
    |
    | Thanks for responding. We set our web services to run under a domain
    | user id with domain admin authority. Thus I wouldn't think I would need
    | to impersonate another account would I??
    |
    | Could there be something else interferring? When the error message
    | prints it shows either the drive which a mapped to a share such as
    | \\serername\share and doesn't mention the rest of the path or if I use
    | the drive letter that is mapped to the above it shows just the drive
    | letter in the error message.
    |
    | It seems I can't get to this share.
    |
    | Would using directoryinfo or the one of the file objects work
    | differently?
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Marc
    |

    | *** Sent via Developersdex [url]http://www.developersdex.com[/url] ***
    | Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!

    Lewis Wang [MSFT] Guest

  4. #4

    1. No I cannot get the code to work using either UNC and
    the share nor a drive letter mapped to the share.

    2. I set security by changing the machine config file in
    the framework directory to use a standard service user id
    which has domain auth.

    3. I am not sure what you want here. After creating the
    virtual directory for the web service, I set the anonymous
    user id to the same service account mentioned above. I do
    not modify the web config file unless I may change it to
    display detailerd asp error messages on remote machines.
    After fixing the problem I always reset this.

    With additional testing I have found a work around. If I
    access the target folder using UNC and the actual drive
    share for admin access "E$" it works fine. The share I
    am referrencing exists on this drive. Why would the admin
    share (drive letter plus $) work when the other share
    doesn't?

    Thanks,
    Marc

    Marc Pensa Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Marc,

    It seems that there is no permission for the web service to access the
    sharing folder, but it can access the drivers on the remote machine.

    What's the permission list of the sharing folder? Please make sure that the
    standard service user id which has domain auth has the permission to access
    the sharing folder.You can try to logon the server using this user id and
    access the sharing folder using IE. Does it succeed?

    Hope this helps.

    Best regards,
    Lewis

    --------------------
    | From: "Marc Pensa" <marc.pensazurichna.com>
    | Sender: "Marc Pensa" <marc.pensazurichna.com>
    | Subject: Re: can't create directory from web service
    | Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 07:39:25 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es
    |
    | 1. No I cannot get the code to work using either UNC and
    | the share nor a drive letter mapped to the share.
    |
    | 2. I set security by changing the machine config file in
    | the framework directory to use a standard service user id
    | which has domain auth.
    |
    | 3. I am not sure what you want here. After creating the
    | virtual directory for the web service, I set the anonymous
    | user id to the same service account mentioned above. I do
    | not modify the web config file unless I may change it to
    | display detailerd asp error messages on remote machines.
    | After fixing the problem I always reset this.
    |
    | With additional testing I have found a work around. If I
    | access the target folder using UNC and the actual drive
    | share for admin access "E$" it works fine. The share I
    | am referrencing exists on this drive. Why would the admin
    | share (drive letter plus $) work when the other share
    | doesn't?
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Marc

    | >|
    | >| Thanks for responding. We set our web services to run
    | under a domain
    | >| user id with domain admin authority. Thus I wouldn't
    | think I would need
    | >| to impersonate another account would I??
    | >|
    | >| Could there be something else interferring? When the
    | error message
    | >| prints it shows either the drive which a mapped to a
    | share such as
    | >| \\serername\share and doesn't mention the rest of the
    | path or if I use
    | >| the drive letter that is mapped to the above it shows
    | just the drive
    | >| letter in the error message.
    | >|
    | >| It seems I can't get to this share.
    | >|
    | >| Would using directoryinfo or the one of the file
    | objects work
    | >| differently?
    | >|
    | >| Thanks,
    | >| Marc
    | >|
    | >|
    | >|
    | >| *** Sent via Developersdex [url]http://www.developersdex.com[/url]
    | ***
    | >| Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!
    | >|

    | >.

    Lewis Wang [MSFT] Guest

  6. #6

    The permissions list for this share only has "everyone"
    listed and everyone has full authority.

    I signed on to the server with the service user id and I
    could access, create and delete directories with in the
    share. I expected this as it works when I use the drive
    letter and dollar sign (admin share?).

    There seems to be some interference when accessing this
    share from with in asp on this server. It works fine when
    running under localhost on my machine. I have the same
    changes in machine config. We develop all our web
    services to run using the service user id.

    The server is a windows 2000 server with service pack 4.
    I am running under frameowrk 1.1. I did not install
    framework 1.0 on this server.

    I really appreciate your responces. While I have a work
    around, I want to know why it does not work using the
    share as this is our preferred method of accessing these
    directories.

    Thanks,
    Marc

    Marc Pensa Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Marc,

    I should say this is a weird issue. I can't reproduce it, but I will do
    more research for you.

    Have you tried to deploy the web service on another machine and reproduce
    it?

    Best regards,
    Lewis

    --------------------
    | From: "Marc Pensa" <marc.pensazurichna.com>
    | Sender: "Marc Pensa" <marc.pensazurichna.com>
    | Subject: Re: can't create directory from web service
    | Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 07:33:30 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservic es
    |
    | The permissions list for this share only has "everyone"
    | listed and everyone has full authority.
    |
    | I signed on to the server with the service user id and I
    | could access, create and delete directories with in the
    | share. I expected this as it works when I use the drive
    | letter and dollar sign (admin share?).
    |
    | There seems to be some interference when accessing this
    | share from with in asp on this server. It works fine when
    | running under localhost on my machine. I have the same
    | changes in machine config. We develop all our web
    | services to run using the service user id.
    |
    | The server is a windows 2000 server with service pack 4.
    | I am running under frameowrk 1.1. I did not install
    | framework 1.0 on this server.
    |
    | I really appreciate your responces. While I have a work
    | around, I want to know why it does not work using the
    | share as this is our preferred method of accessing these
    | directories.
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Marc

    | >|
    | >| 3. I am not sure what you want here. After creating
    | the
    | >| virtual directory for the web service, I set the
    | anonymous
    | >| user id to the same service account mentioned above. I
    | do
    | >| not modify the web config file unless I may change it
    | >| display detailerd asp error messages on remote
    | machines.
    | >| After fixing the problem I always reset this.
    | >|
    | >| With additional testing I have found a work around. If
    | >| access the target folder using UNC and the actual drive
    | >| share for admin access "E$" it works fine. The share
    | >| am referrencing exists on this drive. Why would the
    | admin
    | >| share (drive letter plus $) work when the other share
    | >| doesn't?
    | >|
    | >| Thanks,
    | >| Marc