Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't defragment floppy disk - Windows XP/2000/ME

Hello. I've tried several times (unsuccessfully) to defragment my floppy disk. Here's what I did and continued to do: After inserting the disk, I visited Windows Explorer, right-clicked on the a: drive, and clicked on "Properties", the Tools tab, and "Defragment Now". When I did/do so, I receive(d) this error message: "Disk Defragmenter cannot run on this volume type." Sometimes I received the following error message in addition to the one above: "This version of Disk Defragmenter does not support running more than one instance." Could someone help me to cut through all these error messages and explain how I ...

  1. #1

    Default Can't defragment floppy disk

    Hello. I've tried several times (unsuccessfully) to
    defragment my floppy disk. Here's what I did and
    continued to do:

    After inserting the disk, I visited Windows Explorer,
    right-clicked on the a: drive, and clicked
    on "Properties", the Tools tab, and "Defragment Now".

    When I did/do so, I receive(d) this error message:

    "Disk Defragmenter cannot run on this volume type."

    Sometimes I received the following error message in
    addition to the one above:

    "This version of Disk Defragmenter does not support
    running more than one instance."

    Could someone help me to cut through all these error
    messages and explain how I can defrag my floopy disk?

    Thanks very much.
    CM Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't defragment floppy disk

    "CM" <vpghhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello. I've tried several times (unsuccessfully) to
    > defragment my floppy disk.
    > Could someone help me to cut through all these error
    > messages and explain how I can defrag my floopy disk?
    A floppy disks is only 1.44Mb in size.
    The way to "defrag a floppy" :-
    Is to copy the files off it - reformat it - and then write the files back.
    - what makes you think it is fragmented at all ??!!!

    --
    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "CM" <vpghhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello. I've tried several times (unsuccessfully) to
    > defragment my floppy disk. Here's what I did and
    > continued to do:
    >
    > After inserting the disk, I visited Windows Explorer,
    > right-clicked on the a: drive, and clicked
    > on "Properties", the Tools tab, and "Defragment Now".
    >
    > When I did/do so, I receive(d) this error message:
    >
    > "Disk Defragmenter cannot run on this volume type."
    >
    > Sometimes I received the following error message in
    > addition to the one above:
    >
    > "This version of Disk Defragmenter does not support
    > running more than one instance."
    >
    > Could someone help me to cut through all these error
    > messages and explain how I can defrag my floopy disk?
    >
    > Thanks very much.

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT] Guest

  3. #3

    Why would you want to.

    "CM" <vpghhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello. I've tried several times (unsuccessfully) to
    > defragment my floppy disk. Here's what I did and
    > continued to do:
    >
    > After inserting the disk, I visited Windows Explorer,
    > right-clicked on the a: drive, and clicked
    > on "Properties", the Tools tab, and "Defragment Now".
    >
    > When I did/do so, I receive(d) this error message:
    >
    > "Disk Defragmenter cannot run on this volume type."
    >
    > Sometimes I received the following error message in
    > addition to the one above:
    >
    > "This version of Disk Defragmenter does not support
    > running more than one instance."
    >
    > Could someone help me to cut through all these error
    > messages and explain how I can defrag my floopy disk?
    >
    > Thanks very much.

    Donald Link Guest

  4. #4

    I have been using XP at work now for some time and I miss both scandisk and
    defrag (for floppies). I have had a number of people at work come up with
    problems on a floppy and I have been able to help many of them, by taking
    the floppy home and using scandisk and defrag on my wife's Win 98 system.
    Doesn't always work but quite often it does.

    "johnf" <john_fbigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    > I think that may be just a case of using the wrong terminology.
    >
    > Which brings me to my query - possibly the same problem?
    >
    > Originally I upgraded my old OS with XP Pro & had intermittent floppy
    > problems.
    > Often it would not be able to read floppies, on trying to format, (quick
    or
    > normal) it would say the floppy wasn't formatted. Put the floppy in
    another
    > PC & it's fine. Changing drives doesn't help either.
    >
    > I have done a clean install of XP since, but still intermittently have the
    > same problem.
    >
    > Has anyone come across this before with XP, if so, what is the fix, or am
    > missing something?

    steve4454 Guest

  5. #5

    Never heard of defragging a floppy.
    "steve4454" <lariveesl> wrote in message
    > I have been using XP at work now for some time and I miss both scandisk
    and
    > defrag (for floppies). I have had a number of people at work come up with
    > problems on a floppy and I have been able to help many of them, by taking
    > the floppy home and using scandisk and defrag on my wife's Win 98 system.
    > Doesn't always work but quite often it does.
    >

    > "johnf" <john_fbigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    > > I think that may be just a case of using the wrong terminology.
    > >
    > > Which brings me to my query - possibly the same problem?
    > >
    > > Originally I upgraded my old OS with XP Pro & had intermittent floppy
    > > problems.
    > > Often it would not be able to read floppies, on trying to format, (quick
    > or
    > > normal) it would say the floppy wasn't formatted. Put the floppy in
    > another
    > > PC & it's fine. Changing drives doesn't help either.
    > >
    > > I have done a clean install of XP since, but still intermittently have
    the
    > > same problem.
    > >
    > > Has anyone come across this before with XP, if so, what is the fix, or
    am
    > > missing something?

    Unknown Guest

  6. #6

    Good, I'm glad it's not just me.
    Now all I need is a fix! Wonder if there's any 3rd party software out there?

    --
    Johnf
    > I have been using XP at work now for some time and I miss both scandisk
    > and defrag (for floppies). I have had a number of people at work come
    > up with problems on a floppy and I have been able to help many of them,
    > by taking the floppy home and using scandisk and defrag on my wife's
    > Win 98 system. Doesn't always work but quite often it does.
    >

    > "johnf" <john_fbigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    >> I think that may be just a case of using the wrong terminology.
    >>
    >> Which brings me to my query - possibly the same problem?
    >>
    >> Originally I upgraded my old OS with XP Pro & had intermittent floppy
    >> problems.
    >> Often it would not be able to read floppies, on trying to format,
    >> (quick or normal) it would say the floppy wasn't formatted. Put the
    >> floppy in another PC & it's fine. Changing drives doesn't help either.
    >>
    >> I have done a clean install of XP since, but still intermittently have
    >> the same problem.
    >>
    >> Has anyone come across this before with XP, if so, what is the fix, or
    >> am I missing something?

    johnf Guest