Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't delete Flash9.ocx - Adobe Flash, Flex & Director

Looks like Paul is taking an extended vacation, LOL . . . Update: I installed a better graphics card in the system - a Voodoo3 card from back in the day. It really perked the system graphics up. But still the FLASH CRASH every time flash is installed on the system and the browser is navigated to a website with Flash on it. I got this old setup running cherry, everything under the sun but Flash works on this system. Specs: ************************************************** ********************* Processor Model : Intel(R) Celeron(tm) Speed : 731MHz Performance Rating : PR987 (estimated) Cores per Processor : ...

  1. #141

    Default Re: Can't delete Flash9.ocx

    Looks like Paul is taking an extended vacation, LOL . . .

    Update: I installed a better graphics card in the system - a Voodoo3 card from
    back in the day. It really perked the system graphics up. But still the FLASH
    CRASH every time flash is installed on the system and the browser is navigated
    to a website with Flash on it. I got this old setup running cherry, everything
    under the sun but Flash works on this system.

    Specs:

    Processor
    Model : Intel(R) Celeron(tm)
    Speed : 731MHz
    Performance Rating : PR987 (estimated)
    Cores per Processor : 1 Unit(s)
    Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
    Internal Data Cache : 16kB Synchronous, Write-Thru, 4-way set, 32 byte line
    size
    L2 On-board Cache : 128kB ECC Synchronous, Write-Back, 4-way set, 32 byte line
    size

    Mainboard
    Bus(es) : ISA PCI IMB PCMCIA USB i2c/SMBus
    MP Support : 1 Processor(s)
    MP APIC : Yes
    System BIOS : Phoenix 3.07
    System : 00101680 XG836 15294500050482
    Mainboard : Trigem Computer, Inc. Cognac
    Total Memory : 255MB SDRAM

    Chipset 1
    Model : Intel Corporation 82810 810 Chipset Memory Controller Hub
    Front Side Bus Speed : 1x 66MHz (66MHz data rate)
    Total Memory : 256MB SDRAM
    Shared Memory : 1MB

    Video System
    Monitor/Panel : Plug and Play Monitor
    Adapter : Intel(R) 82810 Graphics Controller ***Update*** Creative Voodoo3
    with latest drivers installed ***

    I just upgraded the system from Windows Me (Gah!) to Windows XP, it's my
    girlfriends what can I say, LOL . . . So the system is running like a champ, .
    .. . except for whenever a Flash integrated site is visited. I tried using
    different browsers the whole nine yards.

    Best
    JP

    [email]jp23cent[/email]

    jp23cent Guest

  2. #142

    So, er is there a fix then? Folk seem to have stopped posting, is that due to
    frustration. I have been using channel 4 on demand to watch TV via broadband. I
    cannot get the program to load anymore. Here is a reply from channel 4 relating
    to the Flash9.ocx issue:

    Thank you for your email regarding 4oD.

    This is an issue with Adobe for the following reasons;

    1. This issue has been around since Flash 7, 4oD has not.
    2. the issue surrounds over writing previous versions of the flash 9.ocx file
    3. This file cannot be registered because the previous file has read only
    permission.
    4. Adobes forums are full of people with this issue, most of which are from
    the online gaming community and not customers of 4oD.
    5. The reason why you are having problems now is because our site requires a
    flash upgrade rather than using the flash version that you already have
    installed.

    Please feel free to forward this response to Adobe complete with the following
    links;

    [url]http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/f[/url]
    orum/messageview.cfm?forumid=44&catid=18
    4&threadid=1176330&enterthread=y

    large number of posters on the above link!!

    [url]http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/f[/url]
    orum/messageview.cfm?catid=184&threadid=
    1177096&enterthread=y

    some users found that registering the plug in manually worked for them.

    1: download [url]http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/fla[/url]
    shplayer/current/licensing/win/install_f
    lash_player_active_x.msi
    2: Click Start>Run and enter c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\Unins
    tFl.exe
    3: Run the file you just downloaded
    4: Go to Start>Run and type in regsvr32
    c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\flash
    9.ocx

    If you require further information, feel free to email me back or visit
    [url]http://help.channel4.com/4oD/[/url]

    Jacqueline Harvey
    Channel 4 Customer Support

    As you can see, she recommeds trying some of the fixes posted on this site but
    none of them have worked for me. What will happen next?

    Stigweird Guest

  3. #143

    jp23cent:
    JP, it could really be that your sound card is the problem, not your graphics
    card. Read my posting just above yours.
    BTW: Paul has not reacted in any way to my posting or to the PM I sent him.

    J?rg Wagner Guest

  4. #144

    I ran into a similar issue on Vista and after some futzing around I discovered
    there appears to be a problem with the ACL (Access Control List) on the files
    in question.

    To get round this you need to be logged in as an administrator for that
    machine and then to unset some of the ACL settings.
    I haven't got an XP box to walk through this on at the moment, but it should
    be fairly similar to the Vista route.

    For Vista:
    Right click on the file you wish to get rid of and choose properties.

    This takes you to the "Properties" dialog

    Switch to the Security tab.
    Click the "Advanced" button.

    This takes you to the "Advanced Security Settings" dialog

    Click the "Edit" button.
    Click OK to the UAC dialog.
    Select the entry for "Deny, everyone, Write Attributes, <not inherited>"
    Click the "Delete" button.

    OK out of all the dialogs.
    As an administrator you should now be able to delete this file.

    Hope this helps.

    padriff Guest

  5. #145

    [q]Originally posted by: Jeckyl Newsgroup User
    Here we go . .the 'american' solution of litigation. Something doesn't
    work, so find someone to sue and make money out of a problem. Typical.[/q]
    The only typical thing I see here is the arrogance of an anonymous poster.
    Since no status information appears with your name, is it safe to assume you're
    not posting with a regular user account? An administrative account, perhaps?

    [q]Just because a few people have problems with their computers installing
    Flash (which is it not proven as yet is even Adobes problem, it could be an
    issue with some other software or with users not following instructions or
    almost anything).[/q]
    It seem to be more than just a few people - more like an Internetwide
    epidemic. Googling "flash9.ocx error" yields 9170 hits. And while this may not
    be a problem specific to an Adobe release, you'd think that errors reportedly
    caused by "flash_.ocx" would be of some interest to the purveyor of the
    associated software.

    [q]I hope there are solution for your problems, but in no way do you have any
    case for litigation as the program does not cause harm, and as it is free
    you cannot claim back what you paid for it.[/q]
    I admire your ability to make such a measured judgment, but how do you presume
    to know whether or not it causes harm? If customers stop coming to an online
    store because the site makes their browsers crash, might that be considered
    harm? If a financial trader loses a million dollar transaction because some
    flash applet has a memory leak, might that be considered harm? Does loss of
    customer confidence and good will cause harm to Adobe? Think about it.

    I don't know if there is enough information to point the finger of blame at
    any one party. From the symptoms described in the problem reports it could be
    anything from hardware drivers, system calls, application bugs or input data
    errors [though the last is a fault with the interface]. It doesn't really
    matter to me. The point is, no solution seems to be forthcoming. Nobody has
    taken ownership of the problem or commited to fixing it.

    Instead, we've gotten a recruitment campaign for product beta-testers.
    There's nothing wrong with beta-testing. Many companies employ it as a means
    of quality control. It usually takes place before the product is released,
    however. Suggesting workarounds that involve repeated uninstalls, reinstalls,
    registery hacks and the like [does the fix include holding up one leg and
    hopping around in a circle?
    ] is not the answer. If things get too
    complicated, the cure becomes worse than the disease. Give us an executable
    file that overwrites the existing version and prevents the error from
    occurring. That's what I would call a solution.

    I've lived with this problem for over a year now. I eagerly await the arrival
    of a tested and proven-to-be-safe Adobe flash player. In the meantime, the
    only viable choice I have is to completely disable Crashomedia and let online
    merchants know why I can no longer patronize their businesses.

    crashomedia Guest

  6. #146

    hey guys,

    I have a similar problem to all of you but it is the flashutil9b.exe file that
    is in question. Even more troubling is that it is on a whole DIFFERENT
    partition to windows. With a brand new windows install. The file is located on
    my old windows 2003 partition and I cant delete it on my vista partition. What
    is going on there? I have tried the adobe remove tool but obviously that would
    not fix it as it is removing the flash that is in use on my vista pc. It
    doesn't even know about the file on the 2003 drive.

    Any ideas?

    bryanpaddock Guest

  7. #147

    :confused; I've installed XP on one of my other 3 partitions, and removed
    Windows (except for system32/macromed/flash/flash9.ocx), which will not be
    deleted and stops me from formatting. Because my first copy of XP is no longer
    bootable, as it's half-formatted, I cannot run the installer to remove my old
    version of Flash. However, instead of running uninstfl.exe -q -u flash9.ocx,
    can I use uninstfl.exe -q -u C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/Macromed/Flash/flash9.ocx ???

    SLAXr Guest

  8. #148

    Paul,

    I'm having problems with one specific website: [url]http://www.ma.hu[/url]
    I just keep clicking on the links and use the back button. It's almost sure to
    crash every time. It must be one of the ads causing the problem.

    -Flash: WIN 9.0.28.0 (flash9b.ocx, 2262648 bytes) - (But I had the same
    problems with Flash 8.0, too)
    -OS: Win XP Pro SP2
    -Browser: IE 7.0.5730.11 - (But I had the same problems with IE6.0, too)

    Can you investigate the problem?

    Cheatz Guest

  9. #149

    If you can't delete flash9.ocx here's what you can do to manually deleted it.
    Right Click on the file.
    Click Properties > Security Tab > Advanced
    Under the permissions tab will be the following entry:
    Deny | Everyone | Write Attribute

    Highlight this entry and click remove.
    You can now delete the file.

    urichjones Guest

  10. #150

    I got sent here, as I had a problem installing 4od, as it couldn?t over right
    my flash player, which to be honest I?m glad it couldn?t as it would have
    removed my debug version of flash 9 (i?m using flex 2)
    Although channel 4 seem to be blaming adobe, I?m quite happy that the file
    doesn?t have permissions to be simply overwritten, although everyone is slating
    the flash team here! I say well done!
    I?m loving Flex 2! Well done! And a heads up as channel 4 may send more people
    here ....

    markline Guest

  11. #151

    Hi ,
    I am seeing that this problem with Flash Player is indeed an epidemic. It
    happens on machines running WinXP,Win Vista, and any other OS aand /or browser.
    You would thinnk a big organisation like yours would do something tho fix the
    probelm. But no. As youwr own site says it seems to happen whwen the flash
    player is playing contents on different pages, and cannot keep track of which
    is which.

    LaxmanK Guest

  12. #152

    My Daughter is trying to play on the Bella Sara website --
    [url]http://www.bellasara.com[/url]. The problem occurs when she is playing, but not
    before she logs in. The error is:

    IE has encountered a problem with an add-on and wil have to close.
    Flash.0cx9.

    Scott Buss Guest

  13. #153

    Hi there,
    I am also having problems with my 4oD, i have installed it and it worked
    perfectly, now however, i cannot get picture, i only have a blank green screen
    but i have audio, i get an error message referring to flash9.ocx when i try
    repairing 4oD and 4oD are blaming adobe. What can i do to enable me to watch on
    4oD??
    I would be grateful for your help
    Thanx:sad;

    red_devil_at22 Guest

  14. #154

    [q]Originally posted by: Scott Buss
    My Daughter is trying to play on the Bella Sara website --
    [url]http://www.bellasara.com[/url]. The problem occurs when she is playing, but not
    before she logs in. The error is:

    IE has encountered a problem with an add-on and wil have to close.
    Flash.0cx9.[/q]

    Scott, can you make the site crash if:
    -- you reboot and open ONLY Internet Explorer
    -- you only have one instance of ie runnning (no multiple tabs if you're using
    IE7)

    I wasn't able to make it crash on my XP machine, but I did have a hard time
    keeping my horse happy..

    Let me know on the above. And it would be helpful for you to open a Flash
    Player web support case via [url]http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer[/url]

    Bentley Wolfe -ADOBE Guest

  15. #155

    Try with LongPathTool shoud fix the problem.
    kenrayn is offline Junior Member
    Feb 2012
    Location
    bulgar
    Posts
    1

  16. #156

    I had the toughest time deleting the bugger as well as when I would reinstall windows in a new folder I couldn't delete the flash program from the old windows folder.

    But, I played with it and found I could rename the files with a .doc or .jpg extension then drag them onto the desktop then I could delete them. Renaming them and leaving them in the windows system flash folder and deleting from here wouldn't work.

    Amazing. A loophole!
    toomers is offline Junior Member
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1

  17. #157

    I managed to delete that files and folder!!

    If somebody want to remove old windows folder (or any other folder), this is one way to do.

    From new Windows installation, I am successfully deleted all files and folders from old Windows folder, but

    c:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\

    is survived, on my surprise

    I am done with this with Ntfsdos Pro 5, and DELTREE command.
    (Interesting, using DEL and RD commands did not do the job.)

    1. Boot system from Hiren's disk, choose Ntfsdos pro 5, select auto on first question, do not run chkdsk on 2nd question, and mounted NTFSDOS Pro on last question.
    2. You need to find drive letter for partition where is that folder (in my case F. Type C: or D: or similar...
    3. In command prompt, type
    deltree .
    and press Enter
    and skip deletion of folder and files which you want to keep (by pressing N on particular question, and press enter). If you press Y, deltree will delete that file or folder with all its subfolders (subdirs).

    Here is sample question:

    Delete directory ".\RECYCLER" and all its subdirectories? [yn]

    i skipped the deletion by pressing N here

    BE CAREFUL if you want to delete this within WORKING Windows folder, it is easy to delete more than you want to delete!

    NTFS Dos Pro 5 can be found on Hiren's Boot CD 9.8 ! , i'm not shure that it exists on newer versions of Hiren's Boot CD's. Maybe you can do it with earlier versions of Ntfsdos Pro.

    Sorry for lot or little information, and for my bad english grammatics
    I hope that i was not confusing, and this will be helpful!
    tovilo is offline Junior Member
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Serbia