Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't delete Flash9.ocx - Adobe Flash, Flex & Director

While trying to solve some Flash/IE installation problems, I have discovered that I can't delete the following file: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9.ocx I've tried safe mode, "move on boot", BartPE, and nothing will get rid of this file. The read only attribute is set and cannot be changed....does anybody have any ideas as to what might be causing this? Thanks, Rob...

  1. #1

    Default Can't delete Flash9.ocx

    While trying to solve some Flash/IE installation problems, I have discovered
    that I can't delete the following file:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9.ocx
    I've tried safe mode, "move on boot", BartPE, and nothing will get rid of this
    file. The read only attribute is set and cannot be changed....does anybody have
    any ideas as to what might be causing this?
    Thanks,

    Rob

    rja1234 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't delete Flash9.ocx

    Hiya

    I'm having the exact opposite problem...my PC can't find that file! And my
    flash crashes on all sites that use Flash. Version 9 has evidently got some
    sort of issues that need fixing. The sooner the better.

    Kempyness Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Kempyness, have you resolved your problem? If so how?

    For the past year whenever I visit a site with some form of flash content
    (even a small banner Ad) my browser comes up with the error Internet
    Explorer has encountered a problem with an add on and needs to close, the
    following add on was running when this problem occured - File : Flash8.0cx

    So when Flash 9 came out I was overjoyed as I thought all my problems would be
    solved...alas no, now I get exactly the same situation and message but its now
    the add on Flash9.0cx

    This is ruining my surfing now as more and more sites are using Flash, i've
    tried everything...various browsers...Opera, Netscape, Firefox etc etc...same
    probs. I've emailed Adobe...No response, I've emailed Microsoft...No response.
    I've sent literally hundreds of error reports to Microsoft support...NO
    response. I've posted endlessly on various Tech forums and asked for advice and
    although people have tried to help i've not managed to solve it.

    I've uninstalled and re-installed many times the Flash programme...I've got
    all the latest updates on my PC...I even uninstalled virtually everything on my
    PC except the Flash and the Operating System (XP PRO) and it still happened.
    Active X is updated as well. I have to turn images off when I visit my college
    site because otherwise I couldn't browse it...It is so frustrating!

    I've got to the stage where i'm beginning to dread going on-line, if you could
    help or anyone I would be really grateful.

    Or

    If someone from Adobe could please take ownership of this and try to help, I
    might only be 1 user with a problem that doesnt interest you but I deserve to
    be able to Surf the net without stress dont I?

    Sarah

    Sarah22Manchester Guest

  4. #4

    sarah I too have the same issue. It keeps some sites from loading and freezes
    my pc as well. I miss my Crickler and i am so angry. I am 59 & it is a shame
    that adobe is not responding to a major issue. I wanted version 7 back but
    no.... I think it is a shame when i was asked to install needed components for
    a game and got this crap.

    calgal46 Guest

  5. #5

    I have experienced the same issues using the Flash 9 uninstall from Control
    Panel->Add/Remove programs. It appears to uninstall, but the Flash9.ocx is
    left in place as well as the version information in the registry. I managed to
    remove the Flash9.ocx by running the uninstaller (uninstfl.exe) with the -u
    switch, and then manually deleting the file. I'm responsible for deploying the
    Flash Player throughout a large corporation, and this is causing me a lot of
    problems.

    Running Uninstfl.exe is supposed to remove Flash, but it doesn't. It would be
    great to see an uninstaller that actually does what it's supposed to do, I
    don't think that's too much to ask.

    Birdz Guest

  6. #6

    Here's the steps I followed that allowed me to successfully remove Flash9.

    First reboot the machine and make sure there are no Flash applications active.
    You can obtain msizap.exe from Microsoft, and Uninstfl.exe from Adobe, sorry
    not to
    specify their download locations, but if you search the site you should be
    able to find the
    pertinent information. Next, follow the following steps:

    1. run the uninstall command:

    %windir%\system32\msiexec.exe /X{BB65C393-C76E-4F06-9B0C-2124AA8AF97B}
    /qb-

    2. run msizap:
    msizap.exe T {BB65C393-C76E-4F06-9B0C-2124AA8AF97B}

    3. run uninstlfl.exe twice using the following switches:
    uninstfl.exe -q -u flash9.ocx
    uninstfl.exe -q flash9.ocx

    4. If %windir%\system32\macromed\flash\flash.ocx still exist, delete it
    manually

    This worked for me, hopefully it will work for you as well.

    Birdz Guest

  7. #7

    ***A GOOD FIX***
    I was fighting with this problem for months and finally found a good fix. This
    is what I did:
    1. Use the uninstaller at Adobe's Web site following the instructions given
    here: [url]http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157[/url]
    2. Empty temporary files and internet cache and restart.
    3. Download the latest FlashPlayer version 9 from Adobe's web site here:
    [url]http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFl[/url]
    ash

    At this point check and be sure that you have a file named "Flash.ocx" in both
    your Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 and Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folders,
    as well as the "Flash9.ocx" in the Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folder. If
    you do, you have a good install.

    4. Download Flash8.ocx from [url]www.rrdownloads.net/Flash.zip[/url] (I suppose that file
    is buried somewhere on Adobe, but I couldn't find it; nonetheless, this link is
    a safe one)
    5. Unzip the active x file into your Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folder
    6. In the same Windows folder, rename "Flash9.ocx" to Flash-9.ocx (or anything
    else)
    7. Then rename the Flash8.ocx (from the downloaded zip file) to Flash9.ocx

    Restart et voila ... no more crash errors.

    Caution: This fix has worked for me on a WinXP Pro and WinXP Home O/S, running
    IE6. I cannot vouch for any others. I hope it works for you!

    SJesMe Guest

  8. #8

    No i'm afraid that doesn't work for me SJesMe.

    Followed your instructions to the letter and exactly the same thing happens
    except my error now says -
    Internet Explorer has encountered a problem with an add on and needs to close,
    the following add on was running when this problem occured - File : Flash8.0cx

    AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: flash9.ocx
    ModVer: 8.0.24.0 Offset: 000400cc

    This just has to be the crappiest plug-in ever in the history of the frigging
    universe!!!

    Sarah22Manchester Guest

  9. #9

    Am having the same problems since installing Flash 9. (Windows XP/Explorer 6).
    Flash 7 and 8 worked just fine. Now, can't get 7 back, and 8 automatically
    deleted when 9 installed. Am fed up. Tried to uninstall/ reinstall...still get
    freezing when media/ video plays. Tried EVERY solution Adobe recommended...to
    no avail. Positively an issue with Adobe Flash 9. They need to fix it!!!!! Glad
    to know problem exists in Explorer7 as well...Was going to install in hopes it
    would fix the problem. We need to let Adobe know!!!!!

    delagare Guest

  10. #10

    Hi,

    There are 2 problems being discussed here. One is difficulty in deleting or
    uninstalling Flash Player for Windows IE. The quick solution is to run the
    uninstaller, which is found here:
    [url]http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157[/url]

    The uninstaller both unlocks and deletes the Flash Player. (The Flash Player
    is locked upon install to prevent a malicious web site from tricking people
    into installing spyware or malware that masquerades as the Flash Player.)

    Alternately. you can run %windir%\systems32\macromed\flash\UninstFL.exe at
    Birdz advised. This uninstaller requires no special download and should already
    be on your system.

    The second problem that is being discussed here are Flash Player crashes. The
    most valuable piece of information you can provide is the URL where the crash
    occurred. Its also essential to provide the version number of the Flash Player
    you're using and your confirguration (operating system and browser version).
    You get bonus points for returning to the URL and letting us know if the crash
    occurred a second time. With this information, we can track down the root cause
    and resolve it.

    Thanks for your help.

    --- Paul
    Flash Player Engineering

    Paul Betlem - Macr Guest

  11. #11

    The only way is formatting your hd

    I deleted it by installing xp on a second hard drive leaving the the original
    one intact so all my files were safe
    I then moved the files I wanted over to the Newer Hard drive the one with a
    fresh xp on it and then i formated the otherhard drive with Flash9.ocx and it
    clears the files out but it is like using a stick of tnt to move something
    small.

    PuReCaP Guest

  12. #12

    Okay Paul, you want a URL?
    [url]www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/crosswords/crickler.html[/url]
    I'm using Flash9 (9.0.16.0) on IE6 (6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
    and IE always crashes on this page.
    Sometimes it just crashes the active window; other times it crashes all (well,
    both) IE windows.

    bio2935c

    bio2935c Guest

  13. #13

    Paul,

    here is another link: [url]http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_upload[/url] (page 2 of this
    link). Flash 9 crashes when I click the browse button which should open the
    window to chose to file to be uploaded. I am using Windows XP and MS Internet
    Explorer 6.0.

    Thanks,

    Global Explorere

    Global Explorer Guest

  14. #14

    Thanks for the links. I could not get either scenario to crash, but I'll get
    some help from other members of the Flash Player team.

    We'll provide an update once we know more. Also, if you encounter other
    crashes, please keep the URL's coming. Its a big help.

    --- Paul

    Paul Betlem - Macr Guest

  15. #15

    This flash9.ocx crash happens all the time playing Yahoo Chess. It is a total nuisance since you often lose the match you're playing because you can't log back in in time. Please fix it.
    gidgeedad Guest

  16. #16

    Paul,
    I'm having the same problem playing Hearts on MSN games.
    [url]http://zone.msn.com/en/hearts/default.htm[/url] It has happened half a dozen times
    in the last two days. I have Windows XP Prof, Flash Player 8 and Internet
    Explorer Version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp.060210-1526. I receive a message that
    there is a problem with add-on File: Flash8.ocx and it shuts down Internet
    Explorer.
    Thanks for your help.
    Wendy

    dakota__ Guest

  17. #17

    This is the page I'm having trouble with [url]http://games./games/downloads/bj2.html[/url] . It keeps killing all internet pages. I'm running Windows XP and IE 7 and Flash 9. Please help!!
    kacustom Guest

  18. #18

    Hi Paul

    I am having this issue on a a game site called neopets. The flash game is
    launched in a popup window from this URL
    [url]http://www.neopets.com/games/kou-jong.phtml[/url]. I am using Flash 9 on IE
    6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 on Win XP home with service pack 2
    installed. This error seems to occure randomly, but only when i am on the
    second level of the game (which is very frustrating, because I have to start
    all over again!). I downloaded Flash 9, because I was having the EXACT same
    problem with Flash 8.

    I would get the error message "There is a problem with add-on File:
    Flash8.ocx and it shuts down Internet Explorer" and it would close ALL my IE
    windows.

    So I unistalled Flash 8 using the unistaller here on your site and installed
    flash 9. I did this approximately 1 week ago.

    I started playing my game again and again encountered the error "there is a
    problem with add-on File: Flash9.ocx and it shuts down Internet Explorer" Again
    it closes all my IE windows.

    one last piece of information. I only seem to encounter this problem on this
    game (which is very new to the neopets website). I have played a couple other
    (older) flash games and have not encountered this problem. You may wish to
    contact their programmers and see what (if anything) they changed in their game
    format.

    I hope this information is helpful and I REALLY hope you solve this issue soon!

    thanks
    ldybadger

    ldybadger Guest

  19. #19

    Hi,

    Thanks for the great feedback (and patience). We have some engineers from the
    Flash Player team investigating these issues that you all have reported here.
    The goal is to determine if we already have fixes for them. In a few weeks, I'd
    like your help in confirming that we have indeed fixed all of the issues. We'll
    have a pre-release version of the Flash Player available for testing.

    Please continue to provide any additional error reports here, and the exact
    URL for the web page. Any background info on how often you see the issue and
    your configuration is also very helpful. Thanks again.

    --- Paul

    Paul Betlem - Macr Guest

  20. #20

    It seems to be a bug with the MovieClip.swapDepths() command. As i removed it
    from our application it stopped crashing.

    This was my old post:

    Tested with flash9.ocx (maybe german locale), version 9.0R16:
    crash at address 0x30089094:

    .text:30089089 85 C0 test eax, eax
    .text:3008908B 89 45 E0 mov [ebp+var_20], eax
    .text:3008908E 0F 8D B5 02 00 00 jge loc_0_30089349
    .text:30089094 8B 46 54 mov eax, [esi+54h]

    At the last command esi has occasionally a value of 0x80, resulting in an
    access at address 0x000000D4 which is of course not valid.

    As far as I can see/guess, the commands are part of the actionscript bytecode
    interpreter, at least that part is executed several hundred times a second,
    which makes conditional breakpoints unuseable

    maybethisoneisfree Guest

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast