Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't delete folders where PATH is too long - Windows XP/2000/ME

OS: Windows XP Pro I have a client who somehow got a ba-zillion folders created and now can't delete them. I've read the Q articles Q180410 and Q157069 but two methods described don't work because at the end of this path is a set of folders that *does* have data. So I guess it's like the old deltree command where you couldn't delete a folder unless it was empty. It's alright that the data be deleted as it is backed up but does anyone know how to delete the long path even though there is data in some of the ...

  1. #1

    Default Can't delete folders where PATH is too long

    OS: Windows XP Pro

    I have a client who somehow got a ba-zillion folders created and now
    can't delete them. I've read the Q articles Q180410 and Q157069 but
    two methods described don't work because at the end of this path is a
    set of folders that *does* have data. So I guess it's like the old
    deltree command where you couldn't delete a folder unless it was
    empty.

    It's alright that the data be deleted as it is backed up but does
    anyone know how to delete the long path even though there is data in
    some of the outlying folders?

    These two techniques do not work:

    ~ share the folder, then map a drive and delete from the mapped drive
    letter.

    ~use the subst command to create a virtual drive and delete from
    Windows explorer all folders underneath.

    In the first solution, the drive won't map as Windows can't access the
    outlying folders beyond 255 characters.

    In the second solution a drive letter *is* created but you can't
    delete any folder as Windows reports there is inaccessible data.

    Is there another solution for removing these folders and data?

    thanks

    Jeff
    Jeff T Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't delete folders where PATH is too long

    Have you tried rd /s?

    Patty S.

    "Jeff T" <saxguymindspring.com> wrote in message
    > OS: Windows XP Pro
    >
    > I have a client who somehow got a ba-zillion folders created and now
    > can't delete them. I've read the Q articles Q180410 and Q157069 but
    > two methods described don't work because at the end of this path is a
    > set of folders that *does* have data. So I guess it's like the old
    > deltree command where you couldn't delete a folder unless it was
    > empty.
    >
    > It's alright that the data be deleted as it is backed up but does
    > anyone know how to delete the long path even though there is data in
    > some of the outlying folders?
    >
    > These two techniques do not work:
    >
    > ~ share the folder, then map a drive and delete from the mapped drive
    > letter.
    >
    > ~use the subst command to create a virtual drive and delete from
    > Windows explorer all folders underneath.
    >
    > In the first solution, the drive won't map as Windows can't access the
    > outlying folders beyond 255 characters.
    >
    > In the second solution a drive letter *is* created but you can't
    > delete any folder as Windows reports there is inaccessible data.
    >
    > Is there another solution for removing these folders and data?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Jeff

    Patty S. Guest

  3. #3

    Patty,

    how would you go about using this command? i.e. from which folder, the
    parent or further in? From a command shell within XP?

    thank you
    Jeff

    On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 11:01:00 -0700, "Patty S."
    <pattysseminospamahmoo.com> wrote:
    >Have you tried rd /s?
    Jeff T Guest

  5. #5

    Did you try "rd /s"?

    --

    Ken Wickes [MSFT]

    > OS: Windows XP Pro
    >
    > I have a client who somehow got a ba-zillion folders created and now
    > can't delete them. I've read the Q articles Q180410 and Q157069 but
    > two methods described don't work because at the end of this path is a
    > set of folders that *does* have data. So I guess it's like the old
    > deltree command where you couldn't delete a folder unless it was
    > empty.
    >
    > It's alright that the data be deleted as it is backed up but does
    > anyone know how to delete the long path even though there is data in
    > some of the outlying folders?
    >
    > These two techniques do not work:
    >
    > ~ share the folder, then map a drive and delete from the mapped drive
    > letter.
    >
    > ~use the subst command to create a virtual drive and delete from
    > Windows explorer all folders underneath.
    >
    > In the first solution, the drive won't map as Windows can't access the
    > outlying folders beyond 255 characters.
    >
    > In the second solution a drive letter *is* created but you can't
    > delete any folder as Windows reports there is inaccessible data.
    >
    > Is there another solution for removing these folders and data?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Jeff

    Ken Wickes [MSFT] Guest

  6. #6

    This worked for me- longpathtool.com
    just4work1974 is offline Junior Member
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2

  7. #7

    Thanks for the information. You could also try "Long Path Tool", it helped me with Error 1320 on Win 7.:)
    GarryBrown is offline Junior Member
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Philippines